Close

Thread: Toning Arms

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Toning Arms

Have been at the weightloss program for about 6 weeks now and have lost about 1 stone, actually starting to enjoy it.

What is the best way to start toning my arms, my arms are quite large anyway and i don't really want to get them to much bigger, but they have no real shape to them.

Now do i go for less weight and more reps or heavy weight and wait until i've lost more weight before i see any change.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Toning Arms

plenty of CV and less weight/more reps.

"21's" (ask you gym if you are unsure what these are) are very good for the arms.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As John says you'll need to continue with weight loss before you see real toning. Concentrate on large single motion exercises, curls etc and since the tris are the largest part of the arms, work them well.

I'll describe 21s for curls: simply, it's 7 motions from the fully extended start position to half way, roughly at a right angle, and back down. On the final one of 7, continue all the way up as a full curl but for the next 7 on the downward motion go to the same halfway point as on the first 7 and back up. Finally for 7 do a full curl. You'll feel it if you're doing it right.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

21's IMO are of no real benefit, they just give a lot of pump and little else. BB/EZ curls as heavy as you can with strict form for 6-8 reps x 2-3 sets will do perfect. The thing you have to remember is that you can't spot reduce fat, so you will have to keep losing weight and you will see results where you want them, eventually.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    21's IMO are of no real benefit, they just give a lot of pump and little else. BB/EZ curls as heavy as you can with strict form for 6-8 reps x 2-3 sets will do perfect. The thing you have to remember is that you can't spot reduce fat, so you will have to keep losing weight and you will see results where you want them, eventually.
    That's true, it's overload rather than fatigue that stimulates muscle growth and as far as I know, 21s will not do that as much as others. Still, I know there are people who enjoy the burn they get from them so throw them in there every so often.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, it is a nice feeling to get IMO, and if you are out on the pull would be one of those things to do before you go out for the fuller arms effect, but I would not rely on them for growth at all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for the replies guys.

I am going to carry on with the jogging, weights and also give the above suggestions ago. Never thought i would actually enjoy this stuff.

If you are trying to tone your arms you go for less weight and more reps, however i have no idea what weight i should be using. I know that this is possibly a difficult question to answer. Is there any guides or is it based on the individual.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

sure, start off with say 5kg in each hand, and try to do (high rep low weight) say 3x sets of 20. To the end of each set, it should be getting harder work, if its easy, then up to the next weight available.

If however you struggle to do a set, then it's too heavy!!!

Theres no set guide to how much you should lift, start light work up! I've seen HUGE guys who are relatively (for their size) weak, but I've also seen scrawney guys lifting amazing amounts!!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WTD View Post
    sure, start off with say 5kg in each hand, and try to do (high rep low weight) say 3x sets of 20. To the end of each set, it should be getting harder work, if its easy, then up to the next weight available.

If however you struggle to do a set, then it's too heavy!!!

Theres no set guide to how much you should lift, start light work up! I've seen HUGE guys who are relatively (for their size) weak, but I've also seen scrawney guys lifting amazing amounts!!!!!

Cheers Mate