Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question everton - toffee??

i went through everton today and saw them being the toffees ... i asked a friend of mine who supports everton why they are called that and he didnt know so just wondering if anyone here actually knows?????

ty
    none needed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: everton - toffee??

Erm, Everton Mints, possibly...???

WTF

Thanks
    Karma Level

is there such a thing is so why arent they called mints ?
    none needed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Because Everton is famous for making toffee I think.. Or is it because they play like toffee there soft and stick in the prem. (Get relegated we all no that's were you belong!!!) You already got all ya players from the championship and ya manager hehe.
    Last edited by Smiler; 1st July 2007 at 10:02 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Toffees (or The Toffeemen) is the established and traditional nickname for Everton FC. It originated very early in the history of the club, by association with not one but two local Toffee Shops that figured in Everton's early history:

Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House was located within a "mint ball's throw" of the Queen's Head Hotel in Village Street, where much of Everton's early development as a Football Club occurred. The Toffee House was the operation of Old Ma Bushell, who was the original Toffee Lady, and actually invented Everton Toffees. This confectionery was sold in huge quantities to the hungry hordes as they journeyed from far and wide to watch Everton play in the new Football League, firstly in Stanley Park, and Priory Road. Then at Anfield, Everton's third ground.

Mother Nobletts Toffee Shop was located near Goodison Park, and figured prominently after the move from Anfield in 1892. Old Mother Nobletts was placed on the horns of a dilemma when that momentous decision was taken to move the great club from Anfield to the new Goodison Park. But, being the mother of innovation, Mrs Nobletts hit upon a great idea as direct competition for the Everton Toffees patented by her arch rival, Old Ma Bushell. Mother Nobletts invented Everton Mints.
    Everton Mints were a great success with the crowd. The black & white stripes of the new sweets reflected an older strip that Everton had worn some years earlier... Meanwhile, sales of Everton Toffee from Ye Anciente Everton Toffee Shop declined rapidly, mainly due the long distance that now separated Old Ma Bushell's tasty goods from the crowds milling around Goodison Park.

Not to be out-done by the inventive Mrs Nobletts, Old Ma Bushell pulled a masterstroke of marketing acumen. She gained permission from the leaders of the Club to distribute her Everton Toffees to the crowd inside the ground as they waited patiently for the kick-off. Her beautiful young grand-daughter, Jemima Bushell, was persuaded to perform this honourable task. She dressed in her best finery, and donned a broad hat before carrying around her basket laden with individually wrapped Everton Toffees.

And so was born the tradition of the Everton Toffee Lady, a pre-match feature at Goodison Park that has lasted remarkably well down the years. In previous years, one Toffee Lady did the job week-in, week-out: Mary Gorry fulfilled this role in the mid-Fifties. Nowadays, for each home match, a different teenage girl is selected from the ranks of Everton's Supporters Club to perform this time-honoured task so it's either Elaine or Claire you'll see dishing out those toffees unless Elaine's on holiday which means claire has to do it 2 weeks in a row.On one occasion in the 2003/04 season a yorkshire man in his early twenties actually dished the toffees out in drag.
    Last edited by B.I.G.; 1st July 2007 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    And so was born the tradition of the Everton Toffee Lady, a pre-match feature at Goodison Park that has lasted remarkably well down the years. In previous years, one Toffee Lady did the job week-in, week-out: Mary Gorry fulfilled this role in the mid-Fifties. Nowadays, for each home match, a different teenage girl is selected from the ranks of Everton's Supporters Club to perform this time-honoured task so it's either Elaine or Claire you'll see dishing out those toffees unless Elaine's on holiday which means claire has to do it 2 weeks in a row.On one occasion in the 2003/04 season a yorkshire man in his early twenties actually dished the toffees out in drag.
    that wouldnt have been snotty would it anyway back to the nickname i prefer the shite

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
    that wouldnt have been snotty would it
    No mate, our Snotty's a fudge packer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Less of the snotty bashing

Everton's most widely recognised nickname is "The Toffees" or "The Toffeemen", which came about after Everton had moved to Goodison. There are several explanations for how this name came to be adopted, the most well known being that there was a business near the ground called Mother Noblett's Toffee Shop which advertised and sold sweets, including the Everton Mint, on match days. This also led to the Toffee Lady tradition in which a girl walks around the perimeter of the pitch before the start of a game tossing free Everton Mints into the crowd. Another possible reason is that there was a house called Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House near the Queen's Head hotel in which early club meetings took place.[9] The word "toffee" was also slang referring to Irishmen, of which there was a large population in the city at the turn of the century and who tended to support Everton rather than city rivals Liverpool.[10]

Everton have had many other nicknames over the years. When the black kit was worn Everton were nicknamed "The Black Watch", after the famous army brigade.[11] Since going blue in 1901, Everton have been given the simple nickname "The Blues". Everton's attractive style of play led to Steve Bloomer calling the team "scientific" in 1928, which is thought to have inspired the nickname "The School of Science".[12] When David Moyes arrived as manager he christened Everton as "The People's Club", which has been adopted as a semi-official club nickname.[13]

From wikipedia which was taken directly from Toffeeweb.com
    Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G
    As for snotty he will bring his ban up like he's a martyr now. I hope your aware of the beast you've probably created gunner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Snotty View Post
    Less of the snotty bashing

Everton's most widely recognised nickname is "The Toffees" or "The Toffeemen", which came about after Everton had moved to Goodison. There are several explanations for how this name came to be adopted, the most well known being that there was a business near the ground called Mother Noblett's Toffee Shop which advertised and sold sweets, including the Everton Mint, on match days. This also led to the Toffee Lady tradition in which a girl walks around the perimeter of the pitch before the start of a game tossing free Everton Mints into the crowd. Another possible reason is that there was a house called Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House near the Queen's Head hotel in which early club meetings took place.[9] The word "toffee" was also slang referring to Irishmen, of which there was a large population in the city at the turn of the century and who tended to support Everton rather than city rivals Liverpool.[10]

Everton have had many other nicknames over the years. When the black kit was worn Everton were nicknamed "The Black Watch", after the famous army brigade.[11] Since going blue in 1901, Everton have been given the simple nickname "The Blues". Everton's attractive style of play led to Steve Bloomer calling the team "scientific" in 1928, which is thought to have inspired the nickname "The School of Science".[12] When David Moyes arrived as manager he christened Everton as "The People's Club", which has been adopted as a semi-official club nickname.[13]

From wikipedia which was taken directly from Toffeeweb.com
    ^^^^^^^^
    Like the bottom bit lol well we all no you didn't write it. plus B.I.G beat you to it.

This is all everton fans history they have to blag about lol.
    Last edited by Smiler; 1st July 2007 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

tbh i thought it was cos everton stuck where they are (like toffee)
    none needed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    Like the bottom bit lol well we all no you didn't write it. plus B.I.G beat you to it.

This is all everton fans history they have to blag about lol.
    I find your posts very painful to read...I can only imagine the other Liverpool fans cringe when they read your posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G
    As for snotty he will bring his ban up like he's a martyr now. I hope your aware of the beast you've probably created gunner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I find your posts very painful to read...I can only imagine the other Liverpool fans cringe when they read your posts.
    hehe look what snotty wrote about me on user CL do you think he likes me??....

Liverpool admit... 25th June 2007 07:44 PM Snotty: you sir are an imbecile
    Last edited by Smiler; 1st July 2007 at 11:48 PM.

Termy

For the first time I have to agree with you, lol.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Termy View Post
    For the first time I have to agree with you, lol.
    Termy you have broken rule 1.) Agreeing with the enemy tut tut.

I no about ya ancient history lol. But recently what do you shout about United gave you the F.A cup and you've avoided relegation a thew times how does it feel??? has your trophies dissolved yet ???
    Last edited by Smiler; 1st July 2007 at 11:43 PM.