Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Opti

Default All this waffle about smoking

I have a managable habit as far as I am conerned, I have the occasional fag.

Lately though I have been smoking more because everyone is on about it and it's all over the TV. Every time I see some bullshit about the ban or giving up it makes me want a fag.

Dammit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: All this waffle about smoking

Never had a fag meself. Do you have a smoke afterwards ?
    "Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Opti View Post
    I have a managable habit as far as I am conerned, I have the occasional fag.

Lately though I have been smoking more because everyone is on about it and it's all over the TV. Every time I see some bullshit about the ban or giving up it makes me want a fag.

Dammit.
    tell me about it. I'm a smoker and even though I am bored shitless of talking about the ban, I feel compelled to argue with the non smoking shower that don't have a clue!

Opti

Quote Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
    Never had a fag meself. Do you have a smoke afterwards ?
    There's a joke about puffing on a fag in there somewhere.

Thanks
    Karma Level

There's a joke about puffing on a fag in there somewhere.
    that kind of was the joke

Thanks
    Karma Level

could be the best thing to ever happen to ya is givin up the ciggies only ever smoke weed occasionally myself never seen the point of smokin just to pass time , the best thing about smokin bans is ,no hangover in the mornin the worst thing is the smell of sweat in night clubs etc. it's been on the go here in ireland now for 3 years , best thing that ever happened ,

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've given up since Monday (My last fag was at about 8:10 Monday morning) and I'm not really missing it at all. I've been suffering with sore throats for the last 6 months or so so I needed to quit, this has just given me the impotus. I usually get tempted once I've had a few jars in the pub but hopefully it won't be such an issue anymore.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The best thing about arguing pros and cons with a smoker is that they don't have a leg to stand on. What defense can there be for smoking? None.

I used to smoke (14years ago) so am a smug ex-smoker who knows how easy it is to give up such a filthy, harmful habit.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marlon View Post
    I've given up since Monday (My last fag was at about 8:10 Monday morning) and I'm not really missing it at all. I've been suffering with sore throats for the last 6 months or so so I needed to quit, this has just given me the impotus. I usually get tempted once I've had a few jars in the pub but hopefully it won't be such an issue anymore.

keep it up matey, after about 6 months you should be clear from the pangs and after another 6 months all the shite and mucus will start coming away from your lungs

Opti

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    The best thing about arguing pros and cons with a smoker is that they don't have a leg to stand on. What defense can there be for smoking? None.

I used to smoke (14years ago) so am a smug ex-smoker who knows how easy it is to give up such a filthy, harmful habit.
    Giving up must be easy, I've managed it 3 times.
    Sorry, i'll get my coat.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pros and cons go out of the window if someone enjoys smoking, you can tell them how they are going to die from it, they stnk etc.. but they couldn't give a shit and why should they?

Why does everyone feel its their duty to harrass people for doing something like smoking, why can't society leave people to do whatever the fuck they want.

I smoke but hearing all this shit is not going to make me quit, I will do whatever the fuck I want to do as everyone has the right to do.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfFaz View Post
    Pros and cons go out of the window if someone enjoys smoking, you can tell them how they are going to die from it, they stnk etc.. but they couldn't give a shit and why should they?

Why does everyone feel its their duty to harrass people for doing something like smoking, why can't society leave people to do whatever the fuck they want.

I smoke but hearing all this shit is not going to make me quit, I will do whatever the fuck I want to do as everyone has the right to do.
    That's fair and I don't give a shit if you (not you personally) want to smoke but when the country decides to bring in a law to protect those of us who don't want to smoke, respect it and shut the fuck up!

I do agree about people telling you to quit and stuff though... That's fair enough.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Mutant View Post
    keep it up matey, after about 6 months you should be clear from the pangs and after another 6 months all the shite and mucus will start coming away from your lungs
    Crap.

Your body gets over the addiction in about 2 to 3 weeks, the shite and mucus will start to leave your lungs after a few days. (your bank balance improves more each day too)

The more excercise you do, the quicker you'll cough it all up.

one of the best things I ever did was quit smoking. Now I don't die going for a bike ride, or walking up the (10 flights) of stairs at work when the lifts are fucked.
    Drinkin' beer in the hot sun
    I fought the law and I won
    I fought the law and I won

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

And how do you feel about passive smoking?

Opti

He doesn't mind inhaling other peoples smoke

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

He doesn't mind inhaling other peoples smoke
    Lol, in fact he quite likes it!

Thanks
    Karma Level

It doesn't even cross my mind as I don't smoke in people's faces, thats just rude. Its like shouting right down some random persons lughole.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It doesn't even cross my mind as I don't smoke in people's faces, thats just rude. Its like shouting right down some random persons lughole.
    You don't need to smoke in people's faces mate. The thing about smoking is that like it or not your are harming those in the same room as you. Nobody every died of passive alcohol or drug abuse. It's a deadly side effect, unique to smoking.

I'd like to think you will take a minute to read this...

"Choosing to smoke and destroying your own health is one thing but passive smoking, also known as Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) or Secondhand Smoke (SHS), damages the health of those around you. These people have no choice as to whether or not they are exposed to your harmful smoke. Passive smoking constitutes a serious public health risk to both children and adults. It is also a major source of indoor air pollution. A non-smoker is subjected to both the "sidestream" smoke from the burning tip of the cigarette and the "mainstream" smoke that has been inhaled and then is exhaled into their environment by the smoker. Nearly four-fifths of the smoke that builds up in a room containing a smoker is of the more harmful "sidestream" type. It is not too much of a conceptual leap to understand that the smoke from cigarettes, which is so bad for the smoker, is also damaging to everyone else. Tobacco smoke contains over 4000 chemical compounds, including at least 40 cancer-causing carcinogenic agents. Tobacco smoke also contains carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas, which inhibits the transportation of oxygen to the body's vital organs via the blood. The smoke emitted from the tip of a cigarette has about double the concentration of nicotine and tar as the smoke being directly inhaled by the smoker. It also contains about three times the amount of the carcinogen benzo(a)pyrene, five times the level of carbon monoxide and about 50 times the amount of ammonia. Add to these the other chemicals in the smoke like arsenic, formaldehyde, vinyl chloride, and hydrogen cyanide and you have a very unappetizing toxic gas cocktail. Remember that the passive smoker receives all of this and gets none of the enjoyment that you get out of smoking in return. Many of the potentially toxic gasses in the smoke are present in higher concentrations in the "sidestream" smoke than in the "mainstream" smoke. In tests tobacco specific carcinogens have been found in samples of blood or urine provided by non-smokers who have been exposed to passive smoking. "

http://www.stopsmokingtoday.com/faq/passive/
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 5th July 2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Some bolding needed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You don't need to smoke in people's faces mate. The thing about smoking is that like it or not your are harming those in the same room as you. Nobody every died of passive alcohol or drug abuse. It's a deadly side effect, unique to smoking.

I'd like to think you will take a minute to read this...

"Choosing to smoke and destroying your own health is one thing but passive smoking, also known as Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) or Secondhand Smoke (SHS), damages the health of those around you. These people have no choice as to whether or not they are exposed to your harmful smoke. Passive smoking constitutes a serious public health risk to both children and adults. It is also a major source of indoor air pollution. A non-smoker is subjected to both the "sidestream" smoke from the burning tip of the cigarette and the "mainstream" smoke that has been inhaled and then is exhaled into their environment by the smoker. Nearly four-fifths of the smoke that builds up in a room containing a smoker is of the more harmful "sidestream" type. It is not too much of a conceptual leap to understand that the smoke from cigarettes, which is so bad for the smoker, is also damaging to everyone else. Tobacco smoke contains over 4000 chemical compounds, including at least 40 cancer-causing carcinogenic agents. Tobacco smoke also contains carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas, which inhibits the transportation of oxygen to the body's vital organs via the blood. The smoke emitted from the tip of a cigarette has about double the concentration of nicotine and tar as the smoke being directly inhaled by the smoker. It also contains about three times the amount of the carcinogen benzo(a)pyrene, five times the level of carbon monoxide and about 50 times the amount of ammonia. Add to these the other chemicals in the smoke like arsenic, formaldehyde, vinyl chloride, and hydrogen cyanide and you have a very unappetizing toxic gas cocktail. Remember that the passive smoker receives all of this and gets none of the enjoyment that you get out of smoking in return. Many of the potentially toxic gasses in the smoke are present in higher concentrations in the "sidestream" smoke than in the "mainstream" smoke. In tests tobacco specific carcinogens have been found in samples of blood or urine provided by non-smokers who have been exposed to passive smoking. "

http://www.stopsmokingtoday.com/faq/passive/
    Well, it won't affect you anymore as you are not subject to it in bars and public places.

Or would you rather noone smoked even outside now?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

thats a great idea

In my house i can smell the woman 2 doors up smoking outside her house. (that's if the winds blowing the right way and my windows are open)
    ban people from smoking outside and only allow it in their own home and that's only if the only people that are in the house are smokers, and not 2 hours before a visiting non smoker
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast