Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: PC will not start up do not know what is wrong

haha I am always amazed at when the static discharge works. But I think just by resetting the power fully it helps things to start from scratch... good luck with now getting it to actually work
    [live=TaxiMike]TaxiMike[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys, i use Belarc. Not heard of the other, but will take a look. Does not hurt to have these things saved in favs.

Yes, the static discharge! I was so happy. I coudl not belive it.

Hopefully from here i can diagnose the problem and then get a quick result. Once figure out i will take this oppertunity to fully reinstall Windows on the machine and start from scratch i think.

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

got this BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 02/26/2004.

But looking through, i do not understand all the different listings and what is any are beeping postcodes (if thats the right termonology) or what.

Can anyone offer any more?

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

It has been a long time since i've had to listen out for BIOS beeps (touch wood), but I do remember having to reboot several times to get the beep code sequence right. For instance, was there a single beep before the further 3 x 2 beeps (e.g., 1-3-3= memory error) or did the 2 sets of 3 beeps precede a single beep (e.g., 3-3-1 = Cmos battery needs replacing)? Basically, there should be 3 lots of beeps.
    I'd ignore the BIOS POST codes (coz you don't have a display) & use either of these links:

http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/phoenixbeep.htm
    http://www.postcodemaster.com/index....=16&bios_pc=74
    'Punctuality, regularity, discipline, industry, thoroughness, are a set of 'slave' virtues.' G. D. H. Cole

Thanks
    Karma Level

it beeps like (say 123456789, so all those are beeps but i get)

1_34_6_89 with the 1_34 then space and 6_89 being exactly the same (so there is a space instead of a beep at 2, 5 and 7)

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by QfanatiQ View Post

1_34_6_89 with the 1_34 then space and 6_89 being exactly the same (so there is a space instead of a beep at 2, 5 and 7)

Cheers.....Q
    If my understanding of what you are saying is right, each digit on a time scale of 1 to 9 represents a beep. So '1_34_6_89' = 1-2-1-2 beeps? According to BIOS central this means
    'Load alternative registers with initial POST values'. If this is correct I would suggest resetting your CMOS by either removing the CMOS/mobo battery for several hours (you might get away with 30 min or have to do it over night) or short the CMOS using the CMOS jumper (see pic- place the jumper on the centre & vacant pin briefly with the power cable disconnected, & then place it back to the original position before powering up) which is usually next to the battery. If this doesn't work & I've totally misunderstood what you are saying, it might be worth making an audio recording & either looking @ the wave patterns to determine the beep sequence or posting on DF for some DFer to help you.
    Last edited by pattikins; 8th November 2007 at 11:56 PM.
    'Punctuality, regularity, discipline, industry, thoroughness, are a set of 'slave' virtues.' G. D. H. Cole

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pattikins View Post
    If my understanding of what you are saying is right, each digit on a time scale of 1 to 9 represents a beep. So '1_34_6_89' = 1-2-1-2 beeps? According to BIOS central this means
    'Load alternative registers with initial POST values'. If this is correct I would suggest resetting your CMOS by either removing the CMOS/mobo battery for several hours (you might get away with 30 min or have to do it over night) or short the CMOS using the CMOS jumper (see pic- place the jumper on the centre & vacant pin briefly with the power cable disconnected, & then place it back to the original position before powering up) which is usually next to the battery. If this doesn't work & I've totally misunderstood what you are saying, it might be worth making an audio recording & either looking @ the wave patterns to determine the beep sequence or posting on DF for some DFer to help you.
    You describe it perfectly. Yes the number did represent the beep.

WHats CMOS? - Is this different to the battery in and out method you mention?

Thanks for the pic, BIG help. I have already been looking (for some reason) at the bettery, when i say looking, i mean more, mmmm i wouder if...

Thanks, i will soon be handing out the lovely K+ everyoen here has been great and incredibly helpful and fast. Much apprecaited.

.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

A bit of an update.

I changed the RAM, i turned it on and haerd a fizz then a chemical burnign smell. (all the whiel the fan on the mobo was NOT going around)

Pulled out mains. Left it for a bit. Put back in original RAM turned it on same again, Fan on MOBO going, beeping.

I have removed the battery and will leave it until tomorrow.

Meanwhile

-or short the CMOS using the CMOS jumper (see pic- place the jumper on the centre & vacant pin briefly with the power cable disconnected, & then place it back to the original position before powering up) which is usually next to the battery-

I do not see anythign beside the battery casement. I am in the process of uploading a picture.

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Right here goes....

Chances are the machine your trying to repair is a P4 skt 478

Has the Pc got a BESTEC psu in?

If so chances are the psu has failed and taken out the motherboard(ive repaired at least 50 of these pc's in the last 3 months)....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes it has got one of those PSU's in it.

Despite being a noted possible problem i have not tried this yet.

I will do this NOW.........

I just re-read properly and you mention taken out the MOBO with it (possibly) I guess (will try anyway) sawpping over the PSU may not make any difference.

Another update. I only have one stick of RAM in there now.

I get the three beeps as beofre, then a psace and then two beeps. Not the three and three.

Q
    Last edited by QfanatiQ; 14th July 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok, replaced the PSU, all fans start (as beofre) and the same three beeps and then two beeps.

(this is still with that ones strip of RAM) i will now put the PSU i took out of this machines (problem machine) and put it into the other (i took it from) to see.

I also replaced the ram from a working machine. I got no fan on the MOBO going around and no beeping. Just the PSU fan going around (this was with the old PSU)

So it seems this coudl then infact be the MOBO?

Is it worth (if daignosed to DEFINATLY be the mobo) relacing, or shoudl i strip it down and sell the pieces seperatly?

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a similar problem to this, in my case the cpu had come slightly loose in the socket, I removed the heatsink, reseated the cpu and replaced the heatsink, not had a problem since

Thanks
    Karma Level

Feck i sawpped over PSU and forgot to put back the batery on the MOBO, i am guessing this is not a good thing!

I tried the CPU but i cannot get the darn thing loose (holding craddle) solid as a rock. I broke a e-machines mobo trying this before. A little worried about it happening again.

I guess, at the end of the day I need to try and figure out what these beeps signify.
    And why the change
    Why whan i change the RAM (for good working RAM) i still get the beeps and no fan on the MOBO
    Old ram, get the beeps and fan on MOBO
    PSU all PSU's working in each machine, so not that (about as much as i know)
    Going to put this RAM into a nother machine and see if that boots up.

Cheers.....Q
    Last edited by QfanatiQ; 14th July 2007 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Frick me, what a pavalova!

Dunno why, but i tried new RAM. THe other ram tried must have been non compatable "doh"

So anyhow, put new ram into machine and booting up.

SO good to go. I have another problem but i will start a new thread for that.

K+ coming to you all (doing it after posting this) Been a massive help and i got further on this forums compared to another Pro PC only forum.

Cheers.....Q

All K+'sed
    Last edited by QfanatiQ; 14th July 2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: CLsosing comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12