Close

Thread: Zodiac

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Zodiac

Watched this one last night, wasn't sure what to expect really, although seeing the cast list and director you know you're on to a winner. And I must say I wasn't disappointed. It's not your traditional serial killer horror/thriller movie, based on the actual case files from the notorious Zodiac killer in the 70's the film takes a much slower pace than expected, but don't let that put you off.

The movie does a fantastic job of recreating 70's San Francisco, and despite the subject matter is a movie you can safely take the Mrs to see as it's not really that bloody either as it revolves around the lives of a handful of characters from the police and the San Francisco chronicle which the zodiac would send his letters to.

I didn't really know much about the history of the Zodiac so can't comment on how accurately the movie follows the real life events, but as a movie it had be hooked from start to finish, which for a film which is 2.5 hours long is quite an achievement. And even more so that the wife sat through it and enjoyed it too (although suspect Robert Downey Jr had a lot to do with that ).

9/10 from me, would recommend it to anyone

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Zodiac

I watched this in a cinema a few weeks back, and while in general it was a good film, it was way too long. I found myself zoning out and losing interest and several times caught myself staring at the wall. It's a good 30 minutes too long imo.

If you want a factual film, with detail case aspects and lots of dialogue, then go for this. If you want action, horror, violence, edge of seat, or suspense styles of horror then don't bother with it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A really entertaining film! Based on a true story and how the film ends def makes it’s an 8.5/10 enjoyed it from start to finish. If you love Drama / Thriller films this is defiantly worth watching. Robert Downey Jr is excellent in the film and so is Jake Gyllenhaal.

8.5/10

Thanks
    Karma Level

I too saw this. Movie too long in my opinion. But some great cinematography along the way. Liked the overall feel of it. Just the length that put me off.

No overiding memory, almost leaving the after effects being dull.

Cheers......Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

It was ok. It struck me as the sort of film that you might happen to accidentally switch over to, not knowing what it is and then ending up watching it.

There werent many interesting developments in the story, it just progressed at a walking pace from start to finish. Not much to grab you but just enough to keep you watching in the hope that something good might actually happen before the end.

Unfortunately that viewer satisfaction never comes, and if your sanity has managed to hold out till the end credits, you'll be left feeling like there should have been something more from a film thats stolen such a long and tedious 2.38 mins of your life!

This is (maybe) worth a look if you're very bored...
    If Circles were Squares and the Sea was the Sky...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Robert Downey JR is great... pity that he wasted 5 years of his acting life in rehab and prison!!!

Great film, really enjoyed this film. Real stories always have that extra edge to them and this is played out very well. Its long but keeps your interest.
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think i pretty much agree with the majority here, its a good story, the acting is great, the script and everything else is fine, its just too long.

I think if you lived in america and had memories of the whole incident it would be alot more interesting but for a brit with no memory of it, it was a little boring. You cant really criticise it since it is a true story, its just not a story that fills a movie too well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I liked the acting and the factual element to it...but by christ it was about an hour too long.

As mentioned above, you find yourself constantly waiting for an explosive 'pay-off' at the end, which is never delivered.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Of course there was no pay-off at the end, it was a true story. They never caught him. I for one thought it was very good. Yes, it was rather long but they told the story that needed to be told. Fincher didn't chop or change much because he didn't need to. The story is gripping, the acting immense and there are some genuine scenes of tension. Real tension. The kind of tension you just don't experience very often these days. For me it fucking flew by. Masterful stuff.