Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bad News Sony sued (again) for patent violation, injunction sought on PS3 sales

Another patent lawsuit filed in that litigious folly called the Texas court system. This time, the suit pits Parallel Processing Corporation of Newport Beach, California against that legal whipping boy, Sony. PPC alleges that Sony's Cell processor -- the horsepower inside the PS3 -- violates a patent for "synchronized parallel processing with shared memory." Filed on July 26th, the five-page complaint by PPC states that Sony's actions are causing "irreparable harm and monetary damage" to the company and are therefore seeking the usual: compensation for damages (with interest) as well as the impounding and destruction of all Sony products infringing on the patent. Good times.

Not looking good for sony

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sony sued (again) for patent violation, injunction sought on PS3 sales

sony didnt develop the cell tho did they? it was IBM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sony sued (again) for patent violation, injunction sought on PS3 sales

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure why you think this is such bad news. If the fuckers have breached a patent they should be fucked for it like everyone else.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    sony didnt develop the cell tho did they? it was IBM.
    exactly! it was a joint venture between Sony, IBM, and Toshiba, so if they get sued, then all 3 firms should foot the bill! Not just the one that is currently using it the most! IBM are wanting to use the CELL in their new super computer, Roadrunner! So that means that they wont be allowed to do that either!

EDIT: also, does anyone remember when Sony got sued for the way they make blu-ray discs? Anyone know what came of that court case?
    Last edited by Mario87; 31st July 2007 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Funny isn't it? Instead of wanting kudos for allegedly creating and patenting the basis for the Cell Chip and having it's name plastered on Sony products the world over, they want money? I know kudos doesn't pay the bills, but millions of units of whatever item that contains the chip and a royalty off each is a hell of a lot of brass at the end of the day, far more than they'll ever get in the eventual out of court settlement wrangled by some ambulance chasing Jewish lawyer.

America. Land of the brave, home of the free, nirvana of the litigious...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm sure they would be happy with a decent cut of every ps3 sold as royalties.

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol, id love to be a fly on the wall in their head office this month, they must be bricking it..............again, lol

this is like the michael jackson way of sueing, soon as someone can see there is money to be made they jump, not sayin the guys didnt invent the thing, but if sony had won the case for the patent on the vibration in their pads i dont think these others would have followed, where theres a dolla theres a squala
    follow me as i sue them next week for using my design on a tv, i can proove i drew it in first school, and its currently in the shops at the moment

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin M View Post
    lol, id love to be a fly on the wall in their head office this month, they must be bricking it
    lol i'll bet a years wages theres not much bricking it going on.

Suits like this are part and parcel of being successful, you put yourself up to be shot at
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB