Close

Thread: The Number 23

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default The Number 23

Watched this with the Mrs last night and to be honest i wasn't expecting that much from it, Half way through i was a bit confused as to what was going on but it all unravels very nicely and although the ending may be a bit predictable i think it was the best way to end it.

I think Jim Carey again proved himself worthy as an actor and not just a gurning fool who can only act Ace Ventura................. All in all i really enjoyed it and have given it 8 out of 10

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The Number 23

I watched this at the pics with the other half and was disappointed. It started off well with a good idea but i found my mind wandering after a while. The way the film went to Carey the moody detective was what killed it for me. All in all i thought it was poor, but the idea of the film as i have said was good but could have been done so much better.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have to agree with Fincher here

I picked this up on DVD expecting to be total arse, and at the beginning I was, with all the stupid permutations of 23.

Add this, then divide by this, add 4 and ta-daa! 23!! omg the worlds gonna end

numerology has always stunk of this fated, apocalyptic, nonsense that never made any sense to me, but the way they tied it all up worked pretty well in my opinion

I really liked Carrey's character, who reminded me of Russell Crow in A Beautiful Mind, insomuch, the way that numbers became an obsession to him

I also really liked the double roles that the main characters played, showing a light and dark side

I'd definitely recommend this one - my initial annoyances with the "coincidences" were quashed by the film's conclusion so a solid 7.5

Thanks
    Karma Level

I didn't think the film was too bad either, certainly a lot better than I was expecting for Carey. Problem is, I watched it over at a mte's house with a few of us there and wasn't really concentrating as well as I should so think some of the intricacies of the plot were lost on me at the time, guess i'll head to blockbuster to rent it out next time and give it another go, and my full attention.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Watched this a few nights ago.
    After reading quite a few reviews i wasnt expecting much to be honest, but i was very surprised. Carreys performance was excellent, i loved the sin city'esque character that carrey was narrating. It was very different from the usual thriller and the storyline was excellent. Very well written and a clever movie.
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM