Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Xbox 360 ArsTechnica: How important is HDMI for consoles?

From arstechnica.com:

The Showdown continues. Each week we pick a topic, flip a coin to see which OT writer discusses which side, and then we present it to you. This week? Ben and Frank argue about whether or not HDMI is a crucial inclusion for consoles.

Ben: Well, on my games and movies, if I showed you an image being pushed through component and HDMI I don't know how much of a difference you would be able to pick out. The real selling points here are 1080p for displays that can support it, and ease of use. The one thing I adore about HDMI is that it's one simple plug instead of the five you get with component. It's easier to hook up, and it's easier to organize all the cables on the back of your home theater. But again, how many people have HDTVs, how many of those people have 1080p sets, and how many of THOSE people care enough to deal with such slight gains? I like the fact that HDMI is there, and I'm not knocking the standard. But the important things to fix on the 360 are the red rings of death and the jet-taking-off sound the system makes when it's turned on. I think they should have focused on those things first and then added HDMI. HDMI at this point is much more of a talking point than a compelling feature for most people.
    Full Story: arstechnica.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: ArsTechnica: How important is HDMI for consoles?

Presumably MS were able to add a HDMI port more easily than the other things - I'm guessing if they could have implemented a quick fix to cure the 3 red rings problem they would have done, and saved themselves a billion dollars in repair bills

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its bcoz the hd dvd add on may need it for future hd dvds that wont play over comp leads
    some protection feature i think for the hd dvd content
    thats probs why they have added the hdmi
    Plug

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by plug1 View Post
    Its bcoz the hd dvd add on may need it for future hd dvds that wont play over comp leads
    some protection feature i think for the hd dvd content
    thats probs why they have added the hdmi
    Plug
    If that's the case then there's going to be a lot of unhappy HD DVD drive owners.
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont think it will come to that, its the fact that the restrictions on component leads means that the machine is not allowed to output full 1080p from HD DVD through it (games are fine tho).
    Overall i think its MS just trying to stop the PS3 having any obvious advantages over the 360, not that HDMI is a big deal, but these companies can make anything look like a major feature.

HD DVD owners will have plenty to complain about soon anyway when their players and disks will become worthless

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its called High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
    hears the wikki page its part of the hd dvd standard
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP
    "Also, the Microsoft Xbox360 game console, for which there is an HD-DVD add-on available, is only capable of analog non-HDCP-connections, although a new model of the Xbox360 called the "Xbox 360 Elite" has HDMI support, which enables it to play such protected content at full resolution. If ICT would be forced, Microsoft's flagship console (note that MS is an integral part of the HD-DVD camp, currently providing the VC-1 codec that is used in over 90% of all HD-DVD releases) would only be able to display a quarter of the actual resolution of the media, so movie studios are apparently in agreement not to include the ICT flag on any HD-DVDs or Blu-ray Discs in the immediate future."

Plug
    Last edited by plug1; 14th August 2007 at 03:07 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think HD-DVD will die a death. I have nothing against it atall except. in Most Retail places HD-DVD are about 6 pound dearer and seem to be less prominent not enough releases??? no idea why. I think the compression is better on HD-DVD. It is far more advanced it uses H.264 = m-peg4 and blueray uses mpeg-2 or something off the top of my head

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    HD DVD owners will have plenty to complain about soon anyway when their players and disks will become worthless
    Are you referring to the 24/25Hz problem?

Thanks
    Karma Level

no im referring to when HD DVD is dead and buried

The only difference in the 2 formats is the size, all that about mpeg2 was only with the first generation of bluray. it boils down to 15 gig vs 25 gig (per layer). If you take the recient 300 HD release, the blueray disk has an extra HD audio track, thanks to the extra space, the actual video files are identical.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ahh, there is also another problem, our tv's are set to run at 25hz or multiples of, or something like that. The hd dvds will be coming out at 24Hz, so won't sync correctly with tv - net result, will look worse, even on most hdtv's! There are a few rare ones coming out with 24Hz and 1080p compatibility. Whole thing's a bloody money making swindle that I hope cocks up for the companies involved as far as I'm concerned.