Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Xbox 360 Less than 25% of Xbox 360 games are shooters

According to various message boards on the Internet every now and then, from time to time it’s quite often that you’ll catch posts/threads ranting about too many shooters being on the Xbox 360, or how the Xbox 360 needs more variety in their selection of titles; both being very legitiment observations and discussions. In no way, shape or form am I saying that it is completely untrue. So, I thought I’d take some time out of my day to form a mini study on what software exactly is on the Xbox 360. Based on 139 Xbox 360 games, I found that not even a fourth of them are considered as First Person Shooters or Third Person Shooters, even added together. The study includes the majority of the Xbox 360 games that have been released or to be released this month(August), as for all other titles; Halo 3 included, were not added as they haven’t been released. Also, XBLA games were not factored in and neither was Virtual Console games for the Wii section of this study.

Now before we go further, let me point out that for a game to be considered an FPS accordingly; it must have the first person perspective view, and contain mainly shooting elements. For a game to be considered a TPS accordingly; it must have the third person perspective view and contain mainly shooting elements as well. Two good examples of these type of genres on Xbox 360 are Call of Duty 3 and Gears of War. Both titles stick with the shooting element throughout the game which is why they are always defined as FPSs/TPSs rather then Action.

Out of the 139 games that I have recorded and based on this study, (each title was placed within a genre that defines them), and as I did this I found that there are only 15 FPS titles and 8 TPS titles.

As of note; if you find a title I didn’t add, please send me a comment and I will add it. All titles were placed in genres that I felt were probable.

UPDATE - Thanks for the feedback everyone, within the next 24 hours I will update the list and update all statistics for both PS3, Wii and the Xbox 360 study. I thank you all for taking the time to comment on titles you didn’t see and I will go to great lengths to include every single title of the NTSC region in this study!

UPDATE 2 - Recently Added - Samurai Warriors 2 and Samurai Warriors 2 Empires. Not Added - Cabela’s Alaskan Adventures/African Safari
    Recently Fixed - Title missing; LOTR Battle For Middle Earth and game count error (1), was 136 as opposed to 137.

For the complete list of all games of this study click the following link to the text file
    Source

So much for all those peeps who say the 360 has nothing but FPS's!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Less than 25% of Xbox 360 games are shooters

its not the % of total games thats predomanently shooters, its the % of actual good games that are shooters. There was a top 10 360 games listed somewhere and 8/10 of them were shooters.