Close

Thread: Olympus E-410

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Olympus E-410

Does anybody know if it's any good? I'm very interested in it because of its size. I'm fed up with my small Canon Ixus 500 and I don't really want to be lugging a huge digital SLR around with me when I go out or when I'm travelling. I'm also not to keen on the idea of going for one of those cameras which just have a big attached lens as they seem to be neither fish nor fowl when it comes to quality.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Olympus E-410

I know its a really nice camera, wish i had one. I think its got the ZUIKO Zoom lense on it also, must have a scout around for info on it,
    Anything from olympus gets my vote

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've read a couple of good reviews of it, but it would just be great to also hear from somebody who's actually had experience with it. Reviews are all very technically focused, but don't really tell you what it's like to live with it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My old man has the E-400 and its excellent. Only bad thing I've heard with the 410 compared to the 400 is that if you use the lcd as a viewfinder it tends to eat the battery fairly quickly. Other than that for the size and weight (really quite light) its great - also feels nice and solid/not too plasticy/flimsy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks blacksheep. I haven't looked specifically for it, but it must be possible to find a bigger battery pack for it to increase the usage time. Otherwise it's just a case of buying an extra battery - just making sure that they're both charged at all times... ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive been looking at this model too, but i dont intend to purchase anything until after xmas. It has good reviews but it has alot of competition from the canon eos 350 and the nikon d40x and probably a few others, when it comes to my spending spree im probably going to go into jessops and ask for a hands on of them all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet12 View Post
    I don't really want to be lugging a huge digital SLR around with me when I go out or when I'm travelling. I'm also not to keen on the idea of going for one of those cameras which just have a big attached lens as they seem to be neither fish nor fowl when it comes to quality.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.
    It looks nice but it is a DSLR so you will probably need other lenses in the long run, I think the kit lens is 14-42mm which won't be able to give you shots at any real distance but will be nice for landscapes.

MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes, it's a digital SLR, but it's the smallest one around. This is what makes it interesting to me.

I agree that I will need other lenses for it as well, but right now, I'm more focused on whether it's as good a camera as the other (slightly larger) DSLRs around. I'm going to Hong Kong in January and it would be great to be able to pick it (or something else) up there at a decent discount compared to the UK.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet12 View Post
    Yes, it's a digital SLR, but it's the smallest one around. This is what makes it interesting to me.

I agree that I will need other lenses for it as well, but right now, I'm more focused on whether it's as good a camera as the other (slightly larger) DSLRs around. I'm going to Hong Kong in January and it would be great to be able to pick it (or something else) up there at a decent discount compared to the UK.
    You certainly will, just take a look at the offers on the certain auction website...

P.s. Careful with the lenses, it can become very addictive to buy them
    Greetings :)

Hogwart

Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont think you should really take its size into consideration, its only a little bit smaller than your average dlsr and as a whole, theyre all big compared to compacts anyway (hence the being called compacts i guess!)
    If your carrying a bag with a dslr in and a few lenses, the difference in size wont be anything you will notice.