Close

Thread: 10 Sleep Facts

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 10 Sleep Facts

1. Why do our bodies twitch before we fall asleep?
    According to failedsuccess.com, nearly 70% of people have a “hypnagogic myoclonic twitch” as they fall asleep. This “hypnic jerk” is most likely the result of your brain misinterpreting the relaxation of your muscles as they prepare for sleep. Your brain, thinking your body is falling down, instructs your muscles to jerk yourself up.

2. If you can’t sleep, what’s better: counting sheep or getting out of bed and being productive?
    Both SelfhelpMagazine and apollolight.com recommend getting out of bed if you can’t sleep. If you stay in bed and do non-sleeping activities (e.g. watch TV, read a book), you can subconsciously train yourself to not be able to sleep in your bedroom. SelfhelpMagazine even advises not to count sheep, as counting stimulates your brain.

3. Why do we yawn?
    There is no definitive explanation for why we yawn. The closest we can get to an answer is what med students are taught, which is that we yawn due to low levels of oxygen in our lungs. When the air sacs in our lungs don’t get fresh air, they stiffen the lungs by collapsing a bit, which signals the brain to instruct the body to sigh or yawn in order to receive more air in the lungs. (source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3076713/)

4. Why do animals walk in a circle before they lay down?
    Certain animals (dogs, for example) walk in circles (or create “dog crop circles,” as coined by the British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) before laying down because this behavior was hard-wired into them. It’s a natural behavior their ancestors did in order to flatten down grass to make for a comfy bed.

5. Is there any effect of eating before you go to bed?
    MSN Health studied what happens if you eat right before bedtime. The couple who ate a few hours before they went to bed slept fine, whereas the couple who ate before they went to sleep reported “tossing and turning all night.” The poor sleep was attributed to your body digesting food when it should be winding down in preparation for sleeping, which results in reflux. Conversely, going to bed on an empty stomach will also result in disruptive sleep (specifically, missing the “deep sleep” stage that allows your body to rest and repair). The best thing to do is to have a light snack before going to bed, which will provide fuel for your body as it rests for the night.

6. How many dust mites are there in beds? Are they harmful?
    Environment, Health, and Safety Online has the inside scoop about dust mites. 100,000 to upwards of 10 million mites can live in your mattress. They sustain off dead skin cells, making beds a veritable smorgasbord for these microscopic critters. Some people are allergic to a protein found in dust mites’ droppings (meaning they get itchy eyes, their asthma flares up, etc), but otherwise dust mites pose no harm or health risk.

7. Why do we have dreams about falling?
    According to dreamdoctor.com, falling dreams are typically the result of our sense of balance shifting from laying down in the real world to being mobile in our dreams. Falling dreams can be especially common when you’re drifting off to sleep, since at this time your body is adjusting to the new sense of balance.

8. Can blind people see in their dreams?
    Both ScienceIQ.com and About.com agree that the simple answer is no. If you weren’t born blind, then you can have visual dreams, as these images can derive from memory; however, people who are born blind will have auditory dreams that are coupled with the feeling of emotion and movement, whereas people who are legally blind will be able to see whatever they can distinguish when they’re awake.

9. Do deaf people hear in their dreams?
    Discovery Online posts that deaf people can establish an auditory inner voice because of the brain’s ability to develop phonological representations, though these “sounds” may be different than what noises actually sound like. When asked about their dreams, deaf undergrad students at Gallaudet University responded that sometimes they sign and sometimes they speak, although their speech seems to be transmitted mentally rather than through actual speech.

10. Why do kids wet the bed?
    Children wet the bed not because of emotional problems or faulty kidneys, but simply because their bladders are still too small to hold the amount of urine their bodies make overnight. Furthermore, the U of M Health System adds that a lot of children are heavy sleepers, so they may not yet be able to wake up when it’s time to go to the bathroom.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 10 Sleep Facts

Good read.

I was told in a training session that if you are caught yawning don't be ashamed as it means you are taking information in.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also why is yawning contagious?

If you see someone yawn you end up yawning yourself!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gavinlfc View Post
    Good read.

I was told in a training session that if you are caught yawning don't be ashamed as it means you are taking information in.
    Gavin, any chance you can find some documented proof of this that I can print out and take into my all day meeting tomorrow

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Gavin, any chance you can find some documented proof of this that I can print out and take into my all day meeting tomorrow
    Aren't you supposed to take more in when asleep or pre-sleep, so by yawning and trying to sleep you are doing your best to absorb their information.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The main question for me is Why???

Some people only need 2 hours, others like me need 8-10 but why do we need to sleep at all???
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

Thanks
    Karma Level

Carrying on from 8. Do blind people have to close their eyes to sleep?

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes they do

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by H4ss4n View Post
    Also why is yawning contagious?

If you see someone yawn you end up yawning yourself!
    Using the same theory as the post it is because when one person yawns others subconciously sense they are not intaking enough oxygen or there may be too much CO2 in the air so more fresh air is taken in.

Very good read mate so cheers for that! I Have problems sleeping and do find when I sleep around a mates I generally sleep better and you have now explained why. Not had a falling dream since I was like 8 though

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    yes they do
    cheers, what about people with prosthetic eyes?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Poobar View Post
    The main question for me is Why???

Some people only need 2 hours, others like me need 8-10 but why do we need to sleep at all???
    We need to sleep to regenerate (your body replaces cells when you sleep more than when you're awake) and let the brain process the information for the day iirc.
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

Thanks
    Karma Level

hey nice info, I thought the disable people also experience what able person while sleeping..

thanks for the info....keep up the good work

ciao...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good read, i always do a massive twitch before i go to sleep, bloomin shit my pants when i do though lol.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    Good read, i always do a massive twitch before i go to sleep, bloomin shit my pants when i do though lol.
    I do feel sorry for you then!

Fall asleep, Shit pants, get up to clean, fall asleep, Shit pants etc
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't