Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Just got my 105mm macro.

Well i got my Sigma 105mm macro yesterday afternoon at about 3pm, so had little time to try it out but here are 3 shots straight from the camera as jpegs.

I think they need a little refinement (sharpening and clour boost) and a steady hand or tripod, I'm getting mine repaired today but I just thought I'd share them.

I think I'm really going to like this alot.

The eye.
    Spoiler:

Moss and pond plant.
    Spoiler:

In the eye of the frog.
    Spoiler:

Some cropping would be useful too. I'm not sure whether I like my reflection in the eyes or not.

MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Just got my 105mm macro.

I don't like seeing your reflection in the eyes, not that I dislike you or anything . I don't know how you'd go about getting a straight shot onto an eye without getting you in the way though. On the bright side, they're cool pictures :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

wow, i have been thinking about buying this lens, and seeing these photos has totally sold me.

After seeing bilbo's photos, and now these i have to get this!!

great photos!!.. love the frog one!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by munkydust View Post
    I don't like seeing your reflection in the eyes, not that I dislike you or anything . I don't know how you'd go about getting a straight shot onto an eye without getting you in the way though. On the bright side, they're cool pictures :-)
    Cheers. I guess a clever bit of photoshopping could do it. Don't know how good it would look though.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkzz View Post
    wow, i have been thinking about buying this lens, and seeing these photos has totally sold me.

After seeing bilbo's photos, and now these i have to get this!!

great photos!!.. love the frog one!!

Thanks. I got it because Bilbo and a few others have taken some great shots with it. You definitely need a tripod or some support though for the real close ups, otherwise camera shake is really noticeable. From my very limited use of it yesterday, focusing on exactly the right part of the shot is vital otherwise your shot doesn't look too great. eg the focus on this pond skater is sharp in the middle of its abdomen but the head is way out. Not a great pic
    Spoiler:

I did take some of a small fly but the light was such that when the ISO was bumped up to 400, the noise when zoomed in full was quite noticeable.

MML
    Last edited by muttleymacclad; 10th September 2007 at 12:03 PM.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, the DoF is so minimal for the fast speeds often requred.

You sure have got the eye in m8, and with more use, you'll soon find you'll pull the stunners right out of the hat.

What you will find more than anything is an amzing world appearing right in front of you.... Fascinating.

Bilbo.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

spot on mate, the pond skater is best fo me, been on my list for a while now money a bit tight at the minute, hope to join you soon

Thanks
    Karma Level

lovely pics mate, like the frog best
    Oh f@ck it!

[url]http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/nok1up/[/url]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks everyone.

It's not cheap Peter you're right but i decided to go for this over a zoom because it's much cheaper than a decent zoom. I'd love to be able to take decent wildlife pics but those boys have huge expensive lenses, so i thought I'd get a lens that would allow me to get good shots without the expense.

I've tweaked the photos now in photoshop. Much happier now.
    pond skater
    Spoiler:

frog
    Spoiler:

I do love this lens.

MML
    Last edited by muttleymacclad; 10th September 2007 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cooking on gas MML..

Bilbo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looking good mate. Nice effort. It is a lens I really fancy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gotta love the Sigma.

A tripod is essential for pin sharp images. If it's live insects your taking though they're a bit impractical. Instead use a flash to keep things sharp while hand holding, preferably a separate flash unit, even better if it's off camera on a bracket.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

even better mate spot on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Gotta love the Sigma.

A tripod is essential for pin sharp images. If it's live insects your taking though they're a bit impractical. Instead use a flash to keep things sharp while hand holding, preferably a separate flash unit, even better if it's off camera on a bracket.

I'm still getting used to the sigma and only used it for 20 mins on Sunday. Can you guys shed any light on a few issues I have below?

What's the deal with the limit and full focus switch? I get the idea it's used in AF mode, and it limits the lens from going too far out of focus. Is this right?

It has a manual and AF switch as well as Manual and AF on the focus ring? What would happen when the switch is set to AF and the ring to manual or vice versa?

And what's the deal with the bit in the "manual ()" about if it's left in Manual focus it can damage the camera motor if the camera is using AF?

I know I'll get these answers through using the lens but I can't use it today ! So any help in advance will keep me happier for the moment.

I want to get out and use it today. It's a fantastic sunny day with perfect light. Damn work !

MML

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great shots...love the frog...

Thanks
    Karma Level

What's the deal with the limit and full focus switch? I get the idea it's used in AF mode, and it limits the lens from going too far out of focus. Is this right?

Yes, it limits how far the lens travels while trying to find focus and so saves time by stopping it racking all the way in and all the way back out again. If you're using it for macro, extend the lens fully then switch it to limit, the lens will only move in and out about half the normal distance. Same if you're using it at the other end of the focus range.

It has a manual and AF switch as well as Manual and AF on the focus ring? What would happen when the switch is set to AF and the ring to manual or vice versa?

If the switch is set to AF while the ring is set to manual then the focus ring will rotate while the lens is focusing. If the switch is set to manual while the focus ring is set to AF then the lens won't focus at all.

And what's the deal with the bit in the "manual ()" about if it's left in Manual focus it can damage the camera motor if the camera is using AF?

As above. If left in that setup the focus ring will move and place the motor under an increased load. It's an easy mistake to make though and I've done it a number of times. I think prolonged use would probably cause problems but the odd mistake now and again isn't going to cause too much harm. I wouldn't recommend doing it on purpose though.

Mine's pretty much in manual focus all the time anyway, I rarely use AF for macro shots.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post

Yes, it limits how far the lens travels while trying to find focus and so saves time by stopping it racking all the way in and all the way back out again. If you're using it for macro, extend the lens fully then switch it to limit, the lens will only move in and out about half the normal distance. Same if you're using it at the other end of the focus range.

If the switch is set to AF while the ring is set to manual then the focus ring will rotate while the lens is focusing. If the switch is set to manual while the focus ring is set to AF then the lens won't focus at all.

As above. If left in that setup the focus ring will move and place the motor under an increased load. It's an easy mistake to make though and I've done it a number of times. I think prolonged use would probably cause problems but the odd mistake now and again isn't going to cause too much harm. I wouldn't recommend doing it on purpose though.

Mine's pretty much in manual focus all the time anyway, I rarely use AF for macro shots.
    Thanks very much slarti, I really appreciate the help. I'm learning so much so quickly with the help from the members of DF.

I tried to give you some of the proper green stuff but i need to spread some more around in other areas apparently !

cheers

MML

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by muttleymacclad View Post
    Thanks very much slarti, I really appreciate the help. I'm learning so much so quickly with the help from the members of DF.

I tried to give you some of the proper green stuff but i need to spread some more around in other areas apparently !

cheers

MML

i think you are helping other members a lot too lol, you are helping them learn

"
    Belief like any other moving body follows the path of least resistance"

"It's all success if it's what you need, do what you like and do it honestly."