Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Underage drinkers beware!

Man, 72, refused alcohol over age

Supermarket staff refused to sell alcohol to a white-haired 72-year-old man - because he would not confirm he was over 21.

Check-out staff at Morrisons in West Kirby, Wirral, demanded Tony Ralls prove he was old enough to buy his two bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Mr Ralls asked to see the manager who put the wine back on the shelf.

The grandfather-of-three said he had refused to confirm he was over 21 as it was a "stupid question."

Mr Ralls, a retired insurance firm regional manager, said he expected the store manager to resolve the situation but he was disappointed.

"I felt like saying 'What do I look like? Are you a fool?'

"He picks up the wine and, in the manner of a child taking home his ball, says 'Well, we won't serve you'."

The pensioner abandoned his shopping on the conveyor belt and left the store - but not before demanding a complaints form and phone number for Morrisons' headquarters.

Mr Ralls said: "It is bureaucracy gone mad. If the check-out lady, who was about 40, had asked me with a twinkle in her eye perhaps I would not have been so tetchy.

"But she asked me the question with a perfectly straight face and I said I wouldn't dignify the question with an answer.

"And if the manager had explained that all the staff had to ask everyone because they had previously been fined, but said I was clearly over 21, it would have been fine - but he showed no sense of humour."

Mr Ralls added that he felt embarrassed to return to the supermarket and wanted an apology for "the stupid and unnecessary confrontation."

He added: "I applaud any efforts to stop kids being served and standing on street corners getting drunk. But this was just totally stupid."

A Morrisons spokesman said: "We take our responsibility with regard to selling alcohol very seriously and all our stores operate the Task 21 scheme, which addresses the difficulties our staff face in being able to determine if a customer is legally old enough to buy alcohol.

"To further limit any element of doubt staff at the West Kirby store are required to ask anyone buying alcohol to confirm that they are over 21."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/7003325.stm

What happened to common sense?
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Underage drinkers beware!

I'd rather wring the piss from a tramps sock directly into my gaping mouth than drink anything I found down the wine aisle at fucking Morrisons. He's scum, he deserves everything he gets.

Thanks
    Karma Level

or maybe just old and this is his closest, easiest supermarket to get to...
    Also I thought u liked that sort of thing so of course you would rather do that.
    [live=TaxiMike]TaxiMike[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's Kirkby. He was probably gonna get hammered and hang on a street corner himself.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well i find morrisions to be a poor mans ASDA all the retards see to shop there !! pisses me orf

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did i miss the memo when Kirby was declared as USA territory? Last time I checked, you can legally by booze at the age of 18... so where has all the 21 bollocks come from?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    Did i miss the memo when Kirby was declared as USA territory? Last time I checked, you can legally by booze at the age of 18... so where has all the 21 bollocks come from?
    The reasoning behind it is that if you don't look to be 21 or over you will be sked to produce ID.

TBH the old bastard was a bit of a twat. He wasn't asked to produce ID, just say he was old enough. I agree that it'd probably quite easy to work out a pensioner is over the legal age, but to demand a manager rather than just saying you are old enough is just being cuntish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ant3b View Post
    Well i find morrisions to be a poor mans ASDA all the retards see to shop there !! pisses me orf
    all the retards work there m8ty.bunch of stone faced cunts they r .they never ask if you want any help with your packing asda does not bloody morrisons

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gantybop View Post
    The reasoning behind it is that if you don't look to be 21 or over you will be sked to produce ID.

TBH the old bastard was a bit of a twat. He wasn't asked to produce ID, just say he was old enough. I agree that it'd probably quite easy to work out a pensioner is over the legal age, but to demand a manager rather than just saying you are old enough is just being cuntish.
    Surely looking 21 or over is a guide, and the question then should be 'are you 18 or over sir' . If the question is mandatory, what the fook is the point of the guide.

I'm with the old geezer on this one. I hate it when I just pop in to a supermarket for a loaf & then being faced with a barrage of mind numbing questions- 'would I like help with my packing', 'do you have a ***** card', etc.,.
    'Punctuality, regularity, discipline, industry, thoroughness, are a set of 'slave' virtues.' G. D. H. Cole

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pattikins View Post
    I hate it when I just pop in to a supermarket for a loaf & then being faced with a barrage of mind numbing questions- 'would I like help with my packing', 'do you have a ***** card', etc.,.
    Remember the days when they actually had an extra person to help with the packing? These days the offer actually means "Do you want me to stop doing my job on the till and help you with the packing instead".... NO, I want you to put my shopping through as fast as possible, so next time when I'm 6th in the queue I won't have to wait half a fucking day.

Thanks
    Karma Level

fucking spot on there ...lol... I try and avoid the one in my town... I quite happily drive the 6 mile round trip out of town to Sainsbury's or Tesco...

Thanks
    Karma Level

The member of staff probably thought it would be funny to ID the guy.. just to be a cunt. Can quite easily see her getting the sack for this, it puts their company to shame.

Thanks
    Karma Level

No they explained that all staff had been told to ask everyone because they had been done for underage drinking (it is Kirkby!).

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeh, but a bloke in his 70`s clearly looks over 21...why ask him in the first place unless you are completely stupid.

Morrisons for me is 2 mins up the road so use it all the time. Its not too bad I suppose...better than Lidl next door!
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kushty View Post
    No they explained that all staff had been told to ask everyone because they had been done for underage drinking (it is Kirkby!).
    It's not Kirkby, it's Kirby in Merseyside.

And let's be honest, IDing a 72 year old is stupid at anytime, where is common sense.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah i thought it was common sense tbh.. but as i said morrisions is RETARDVILLE

Thanks
    Karma Level

funny because i find ASDA to be the poor mans tesco which in turn is the poor mans sainsburys, and so on...
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

They're both as stupid as each other. The old man for seeking martyrdom in aisle 27, thus holding up the queue and the imbecilic till monkey for not using a little discretion in deviating from her laminated SOP.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by whatnow View Post
    funny because i find ASDA to be the poor mans tesco which in turn is the poor mans sainsburys, and so on...
    You could go round in circles mate!! everyone has there preferences

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can now see why the till staff work the tills in Morrisons
    Cos no other pratt would give them a job!
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast