Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default House price crash feared as buy-to-let landlords sell

House price crash feared as buy-to-let landlords sell

High mortgage rates are leaving investors with shortfalls in rents, reports Andrew Moody

Sunday September 23, 2007
    The Observer

Buy-to-let landlords could trigger a house price crash as increasing numbers sell their properties because of higher interest rates and fears of price falls.

According to property website landlord.co.uk, many are panic-selling, fearing a bleak winter for the housing market. This supports findings in a survey by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), which recorded landlord sales at their highest for two years in the second quarter of this year - having risen 44 per cent since the beginning of the year.
    <SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> <!-- &nbsp;/* set the domain in anticipation of the ad*/ if(setDomainForAds) { setDomainForAds(); }; &nbsp;//--> </SCRIPT>
    Tim Warrington of landlord.co.uk, which has 14,000 registered landlord users, warns of the buy-to-let market nose-diving. 'They have decided that market conditions are looking bleak. Too many landlords selling in the UK could send the property market into freefall.'
    Jeremy Leaf, spokesman for the RICS, agrees that the market uncertainty is affecting landlords: 'It is inevitable that it is going to make them nervous. It is the smaller landlords - the ones with two or three properties - who are more vulnerable, since they may not be able or willing to take a longer view,' he says.
    According to the Council of Mortgage Lenders, the number of properties in repossession rose 19 per cent from the first to the second quarter of this year to 751.
    There is also evidence that landlords have been trying to increase rents to cover their higher mortgage payments, even where local market conditions are unable to withstand increases. Many tenants have simply walked away, leaving landlords with voids.
    'This is something our members have been advising landlords not to do,' says Ian Potter, operations manager for the Association of Residential Letting Agents. 'In some areas where rents have been low, it might be possible to increase them, but rental markets will always find their own level. Landlords can go for an extra £50 a month, lose a tenant, have a two-month void and think they have achieved a victory. They could have lost hundreds of pounds in the process.'
    The problem for many landlords is that with the huge rises in capital values, rental yields are very low - 4 per cent and lower is now typical in London and the south east, although established terraced residential areas in the north still command yields of about 6 per cent.
    Although some buy-to-let lenders offer mortgages at 90 per cent loan-to-value (more typically 85 per cent), often the proposition does not stack up. For example, a three-bedroom, semi-detached house in Scunthorpe valued at £125,000 would usually attract a rent of £500 a month. If someone takes out an 85 per cent loan at 5.5 per cent, currently a good buy-to-let rate, repayments on an interest-only mortgage would be £486. Taking into account agents' fees at 10 per cent, plus VAT, buildings insurance and other costs, the landlord would be making a loss.
    Nigel Jolly, 49, an internet entrepreneur from Didsbury, Manchester, has considered selling his investment property, a four-bedroom town house, nearby. He bought it for £120,000 in 1997 and it is now worth £340,000. He has a 7.6 per cent, interest-only mortgage for £165,000 - only 53 per cent of the property's value - yet his monthly mortgage payments of £1,050 exceed his rental income of £815. 'The uncertainty in the property market makes you feel like it would be a good time to get out. I have little room for manoeuvre, however. I am tied into what is now a very expensive mortgage,' he says.
    Kelvin Davidson, property economist at Capital Economics, says landlords with a loan-to-value of more than 50 per cent are likely to be operating at a loss. His calculations are based on gross rental yields of 5 per cent and interest rates of 6.5 per cent. Buying and selling costs are also factored in and it is assumed that the property is held for 15 years.
    According to research by mortgage advisers John Charcol, 55 per cent of landlords own one to three properties, but 'professionals' with more than 10 properties own 90 per cent of the buy-to-let stock. 'The problem would come if these professional landlords started selling their portfolios and I don't see any sign of that,' says Charcol's Ray Boulger.
    However, some investors are already coming a cropper, with auction houses reporting former buy-to-let repossessions. Charles Smailes, senior partner at auctioneers Feather Smailes and Scales in Harrogate, expects a wave of them late this year. 'When buy-to-let mortgages first came out in the mid-Nineties, it all went along merrily for seven or eight years, but then a lot more people rushed into the market, borrowing up to 90 per cent,' he says. 'People just didn't have the financial back-up to cope with voids.'
    But many still see buy-to-let as a good investment. Mark Chaston, of Trowse, near Norwich, is paying £150 more on his mortgage than he gets in rent for his two-bedroom flat in the city, but has no plans to sell: 'It is in a very good location and should increase in value over time.'
    I'm taking the long view
    David Haq, 37, of Ealing, west London, has more than 60 properties in London and on the south coast, with a total value of £12m. He has no plans to sell. 'I think the people who will have difficulties in the current market are those with one or two properties with little or no equity to fall back on,' he says. 'Other people selling are those in their fifties and sixties who have made huge gains over the past 15 or 20 years.' He says that with the capital value of his properties rising at 8 per cent annually, making him a notional £960,000 a year, he wants to expand his portfolio. 'I intend to hold for the longer term. I tend to buy small blocks of flats, which I often find in Estates Gazette. I negotiate a discount and I already have a large amount of equity from the start

Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: House price crash feared as buy-to-let landlords sell

I don't fear a house price crash I'd fucking welcome it. Fuck the housing boom I just want to buy somewhere to live.

At the very least the terrestrial television channels would have to rethink 40% of their programming.
    Last edited by WalterPill; 23rd September 2007 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

id welcome a price crash, id love to own more then 2 properties

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    id welcome a price crash, id love to own more then 2 properties

i just wanna be able to buy a place of my own
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Thanks
    Karma Level

bring it on! Positivly encouraged over here too.

House prices are just too high, fact, even though I own a place I'd be happy if I saw a curbe in the inflation rate of it's proposed price, as everything around me is going nuts high.
    I'm new to this :huh:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I hope they plummet to what I paid for mine, then I'd move up on the cheap
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

sell now, buy a caravan, buy another house in a years time...profit!

as long as the housing market crashes and burns then gets it's funeral burnt by the time I finish uni, I'll be happy...I'm thinking 30,000 for a 10 bedroom sort of crash and burn

I can dream
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wouldn't it be nice...

Thanks
    Karma Level

There may well be a slow down or even a 'correction', but don't plan on there being a crash. It's supply and demand. Demand for housing in the UK is still high and there are no signs of that deminishing anytime soon. Our market is very different to that of the US and can't be compared with the problems they are experiencing.

Unless they can reclaim additional land from the seas that surround our Island, or there's a huge reduction in the population then demand will exist and the prices will maintain their level.

If you're expecting anything more than a modest fall in house prices I suspect you'll be very disappointed.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah demand is still high.. I mean they are snapping up waste land around near me to build houses

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ant3b View Post
    Yeah demand is still high.. I mean they are snapping up waste land around near me to build houses
    ... they're finally doing something useful with Ewood park then?