Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New York

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New York

what a time I had..! that's my second visit and I still want to go back to finish it off! I love the place.. only thing I would change is the flight.. will pay extra dosh to fly business or first class as I'm not keen on the fight time in economy.. hotel was central location with Empire state behind me and Macy's about 200 yards away.. would def stay in that area again.. did everything you'd expect and had a great time.. although upon ice skating at rockerfella centre realised I'm not as good as I thought!!

if you get the chance GO!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

glad you had a good one mate. I cannot wait to go again in May. What airline did you fly with anyway? Also did you find any interesting buys?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mc.dodd View Post
    what a time I had..! that's my second visit and I still want to go back to finish it off! I love the place.. only thing I would change is the flight.. will pay extra dosh to fly business or first class as I'm not keen on the fight time in economy.. hotel was central location with Empire state behind me and Macy's about 200 yards away.. would def stay in that area again.. did everything you'd expect and had a great time.. although upon ice skating at rockerfella centre realised I'm not as good as I thought!!

if you get the chance GO!!
    Where did you stay? sounds like you stayed at La Quinta as well? This was the view from the hotels 14th floor roofgarden

Spoiler:
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol.. girlfriend spent most of my money on clothes!! we went with NWAirlines operated by KLM.. the plane, food etc was good, it's just I don't like long flights and should have knocked myself out..

stayed at radisson martinique..had heard reports about it being not the best but I can't agree it was fine and we had no problems at all.. staff were very friendly, check in time less than 10 mins and although the rooms were a little small the hotel was clean and had everything we needed..

Thanks
    Karma Level

We go a week on saturday and can't wait.

Did you get any of those watches and hooky goods we were talking about?

Thanks
    Karma Level

no mate.. just didn't have the time really.. anyway, figured I may look a little out of place with my £5,000 watches in the small welsh village I live in lol..

Thanks
    Karma Level

I go on saturday... getting all excited now.

Got lots planned, is there anywhere that is not on the usual list of "must-sees" that is worth a visit?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    I go on saturday... getting all excited now.

Got lots planned, is there anywhere that is not on the usual list of "must-sees" that is worth a visit?
    I hope you have a great time. If you have taken up on the activities from this thread, you'll see that a week won't be enough, you'll be very busy.
    I thought a good way to discover places was just walking around Manhattan, if you head South (from say central Manhattan) you'll surely stumble across something interesting.
    Also grab some evening reading at the hotels recpetion, e.g. a cultural guide or something like that, you might spot a good concert, exhibit, restaurant, fair etc. in them.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sigh, deep breath time, this will be a big un!

Got back last night. What a week that was. So disappointed to be back home, if it wasn't for our families we'd be considering selling up and moving there full time. I loved it. The city is awesome, the people are fantastic and the whole way of life is so refreshing compared to back here in the uk.
    The pleasant attitude of the locals there made such an impact on me, the way they all say "you how you are doing today", "you have a good day now", "Enjoy the city" and things like that really set you up for the day in a good mood, people open doors for you and have manners and stuff like that, its how my home town was 20 years ago. Not at all threatening or scary at nights either, even the subway is a pleasure!

But anyways, the trip was awesome, empire state building, liberty, rockefellar, we did everything we wanted to and a bit more besides.
    Spoiler:

We stayed at the Radisson Lexington on the corner of Lexington Avenue and east 48th Street on the east side of manhattan.
    It was a perfect base for getting around everything, 3 blocks from the Chrystler building and grand central station and about 6 blocks from Rockefellar Plaza. The room was of very good standard too.
    Spoiler:

I had heard of complaints about the staff before going, but had no beef with any of them while there. The only thing was the view from the room, but that was of no consequence really.
    Saw the Lion King on Broadway, what a performance! The costumes are fantastic and although how they do some of the action scenes are a bit lame, the majority of it was superb. The opening number almost had me and the missus in tears.
    Went to Maze, Gordon Ramsays restaurant one evening, and the restaurant at the Waldorf-Astoria too. Ramsays was far superior. Bumped into Sharon Osbourne and Piers Morgan in there, and Jean-Baptiste from the F-word is manager there, he took us into the kitchens for a photo! Top geezer!
    The Rainbow Room at the Rockefellar Centre is well worth a look too, we paid $52 for two drinks, but hell it was worth it. The view was magnificent.
    Spoiler:

We also went to Tiffanys, and got a wedding ring for the missus, they are actually not quite as expensive as you'd think!
    Spoiler:

Madison Square Garden was good too, we did the tour and watched the crew there setting up for a Santana gig while we were there.
    Spoiler:

We went on the Statue of Liberty cruise as well.
    Spoiler:

The missus went ice skating on Central Parks Trump/Wollman Rink
    Spoiler:

All in all, a great week was had by all involved. Continental Airlines were pretty good too, small delay on the way back but thats not their fault. They gave us 2 meals and as many soft drinks as you wanted included in the price of the flight which i've never had before, wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Cheers,
    Russbeer

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Excellent feedback russ! Your first paragraph really says what I wanted to say But the same thing for me, when I got back the experience had been so good, that it was hard to post it and express it in a thread.

Glad you had a great time

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well im going the whole month of may, fly out on the second with continental airlines business class their n back
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Continental are great, you find that the US airlines don't have the eye candy of Virgin and BA but the service is miles better, free drinks all the way and nothing is too much trouble.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got meal included on way out n back on the way out got 5 course meal lol
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought you were after info hilljd, not a place to brag ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have been to NY 5 times now and still love it, don't think I will ever bore of it, we are just now starting to explore the really NY, going off the beaten track a little. Well worth the risk..
    Your first line Russbeer is so true although for me I reckon i would only last about 5 years max, then either burn out of die. Would consume way too much coffee, donuts etc etc.. But one hell of a place.

Because this ain't the place to do it... Most could probably trump that and then some.
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.
    My Websites - My Flickr :: My Blog :: My Site

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice pics Russ!

Stick up the piccy from Ramseys kitchen!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    How am i bragging you tat

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hilljd00 View Post
    Well im going the whole month of may, fly out on the second with continental airlines business class their n back
    Got meal included on way out n back on the way out got 5 course meal
    How am i bragging you t at

nice attitude mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yer its great, i was mearly stating that they chucked all that in for free, tickets were bloody expensive tho

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    Nice pics Russ!

Stick up the piccy from Ramseys kitchen!

I will, I'll have to blot out the lasses face first, she'll go ape if she saw it on here.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast