Close

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New York

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default New York

Hello,

being very proactive about this. Going to New York in February for a week, any of you regulars travelling over there have any tips on things to do. I can of course google for information but, it's better to get the advice from people here.

We'd of course like to see as much of the cliches as possible, Ellis Island, Central Park, Empire State, Times Square, China Town...
    What I also want to do is, see a Rangers game, Conan O'Brien recordings, possibly Broadway for the bird *yawn*

Also, if you know of good outlets that are close to the city, for clothing and electronics?

I promise to bring my Digital Forums T (although it's cold in February, I will do it), any ideas where I shoud get the pictures. Would be awesome to have that in the O'Brien recordings

Oh yeah and of course any good hotels? on Manhattan?
    Last edited by cronus71; 12th October 2007 at 10:08 PM.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New York

Just bought tickets to NY Rangers - San Jose Sharks, at Madison Square Garden for the 17th of February, can't wait
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't scrimp too much on the hotel, there are some crap ones, even ones that have nice looking lobbies can be crap once your past the lifts. We ususally avoid Times square for the hotel and stay somewhere north between times square and central park.

There is an outlet village about an hour north of the city Woodbury Common Premium Outlets is the name. But you tend to find the prices on the stuff you would buy are not that cheap the real bargains are in the older last season stuff, 5 tshirts for $20 sort of stuff. For cheap shopping you can't beat Macys, they give discounts on top of discounts, so if they are 50% off and you have a visitors card you get 61% off. coupons also work I had some $10 cards and bought some boxers that were $20 witht he 25% discount to start and the $10 card I paid $5 for them. Don't forget to go to floor 1.5 for the visitors center and get the 11% discount card for international visitors just need some photo ID you get 11% off anything you buy. and take a recipt back to them for I think its $100 and they will give you a choice of 2 bags, they make popular presents. Bloomingdales also give a freeby with a purchase also, key rings, umbrella and bags. Electronics, www.jr.com are down near ground zero, huge shop that sell everything electronic staff are ignorant but hey the prices are reasonable. for cameras also try B and H photo video just don't go on a saturday, the shop is down near madison sq garden, they really know their stuff in there. Try to avoid the cheap electronics stores all over the place if you do go in just browse or you will end up stuck there for an hour as the guy tries to sell the contents of the shop to you and your family.

Central Park is huge the furthest we have ever made it up is the Great Lawn walking for about 6 hours but don't hang arround in there after dark. Tavern on the Green is a nice place to eat, It is the place featured in Ghostbusters when Rick Morranis is running from the Terror dog. Its not cheap but is good.

Check out the Carnegie Deli at 7th ave and 55th the largest sandwiches you will ever see and the walls are covered in pictures of famous people that have eaten there. It looks like a dump outside and inside but its good. The cheesecake is awesome too.

Unless you really want to see ellis island and the statue of liberty upclose the cheap way of getting photos is the Staten island ferry. Its free just jump on get off the other end walk through the terminal and get back on, they used to let you stay on but they now make you get off. Remember its bloody cold we have been in December and Janaury and temps were -1 to -5 and even colder when out on the ferry.

If time is limited use the tour bus, we used it like a taxi takeing is all over the place and you will see more from that in the few hours than any other way.

Everyone wants to go up the Empire state building, the view is awesome but when its busy it can take ages to get in and go up, We did it early when it was quiet nd again later for the night time view both are fantastic, you can sae money and time by planning it so you go up when its light but before it goes dark hang arround for a while and wait for it to go dark it happens pretty quick then you can get your NYC by night photos.

Broadway and off Broadway (Its nothing to do with their location it depends on the size of the theater) shows especailly the popular ones sell out in advanced so if you want somthing like the lion king book in advanced or you will end up paying $120+ each, if your not bothered then check out the tkts booths on times square heavily discounted tickets 50% for the shows that day but you do need to get there early during busy times. But not all shows are available Lion King isnt normally.

And be aware of your surroundings, a mate of mine got mugged a few years back they even took him to a cash machine to take more money out in Times square, I have never felt unsafe there are police on most corners even at 1am in the morning.

I love the place and wish I could go back more often but I spend way too much. I want a new camera and its cheaper to go to B&H including the flights to buy it than buy the thing in the UK.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wow, Little John this was awesome, really really appreciate you taking the time to write that. Thanks!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great stuff Little John. Thanks given.

Has anyone been to any of the Broadway shows? I'm going in April for a onetime only thing and need to make sure we go to the right one!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    Just bought tickets to NY Rangers - San Jose Sharks, at Madison Square Garden for the 17th of February, can't wait
    How much were they Cronus?

EDIT: Never mind, sigh... there's only basketball on while i'm there @ MSG shit game that.

Wanted to go there as well.
    Last edited by russbeer; 1st November 2007 at 09:17 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    How much were they Cronus?

EDIT: Never mind, sigh... there's only basketball on while i'm there @ MSG shit game that.

Wanted to go there as well.
    They were quite a lot, for the seats I booked. It came down to some $200, with tickets delivered to Finland.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im looking to go to the states in february.
    iunfortunatley i got into trouble with the law a few years ago.
    sombody said to me if you have a record you have to go to
    the american embassy first to see if they will let you in.

it looks a really good place to go my i hope my mistakes i made in the past
    wont hinder me goin.

anyone no much on the subject
    Signature Removed: Maximum signature image size is: 468 x 60

Thanks
    Karma Level

having been thru this mate, yes you have to go to the US embassy if you have been convicted in a court no matter when the conviction was.. you will need certificate(s) of conviction(s) also..
    it is a real nightmare when you're there, expect at least a five hour wait for your interview.. one important note, make sure you fill everything in correctly and your passport photos are correct, then double check it all before you send it all off.. you will only have to fill missing bits when you are there which delays you even more....from what I remember the visa costs around £60 and about £10 return delivery of your passport & visa so take cash to cover that while you're there..don't take anything you don't need to the interview ie mobile, anything electronic in fact it'll only delay you at security..

all the info you need is here:
    http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/index.html

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...add_crime.html

..a plus note, once you get your visa it is valid for 10 years.. also expect to be pulled up at immigration and questioned as you have a *special visa*

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mc.dodd View Post
    having been thru this mate, yes you have to go to the US embassy if you have been convicted in a court no matter when the conviction was.. you will need certificate(s) of conviction(s) also..
    it is a real nightmare when you're there, expect at least a five hour wait for your interview.. one important note, make sure you fill everything in correctly and your passport photos are correct, then double check it all before you send it all off.. you will only have to fill missing bits when you are there which delays you even more....from what I remember the visa costs around £60 and about £10 return delivery of your passport & visa so take cash to cover that while you're there..don't take anything you don't need to the interview ie mobile, anything electronic in fact it'll only delay you at security..

all the info you need is here:
    http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/index.html

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...add_crime.html

..a plus note, once you get your visa it is valid for 10 years.. also expect to be pulled up at immigration and questioned as you have a *special visa*
    unfortunatley what makes it worse is its 2 drug convictions so i hear they are even more arsey.

oh well i really wanna go so im gonna have to go to the mbassy and sort it out
    Signature Removed: Maximum signature image size is: 468 x 60

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just found this NYC Yellow Cab fare generator............ Dunno if it will come in handy for anyone but its pretty cool!

NYC

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats fantastic that finchy! great find.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

unless your convictions are for drugs, theres no probs/interviews getting into NY. i filled in that i didnt have any convictions both times i have been and got straight thru (well, after photos/thumb scan etc). i have numerous convictions for various things - no drugs or dishonesty though, i beleive the drug convictions are where the problem is

Thanks
    Karma Level

personally mate, I wouldn't risk trying to get past them if you have drug convictions etc.. the risk is, should the pull you up stateside at immigration.. and they tend to check nearly everyone, then they can just refuse you entry and send you straight back..is it worth it? it's a pain in the arse sorting it all out but I'm glad I did or no NYC last time and NYC in March next year.. your decision mate..

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beacytanUK View Post
    unless your convictions are for drugs, theres no probs/interviews getting into NY.
    Great thats me getting the rubber glove treatment then - i were looking forward to going to the US for a holiday as well. Not so sure now

How about if yr convictions for drugs are very old will they still tear my ass apart?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought I would post a bit more info.

One of the best things we bought was a pocket map, its not very big but folds out to show a good map of the whole of manhattan and it has a subway map on there. and a small guide book. it was about £7 most book shops sell them.
    Spoiler:

Any of the popular resturants your best booking in advanced, phone them up while your in the UK with as much notice as you can and tell them your going and what dates you will be there they will do what they can to fit you in. Places like Gordon Ramseys london etc. The Hard rock cafe in Times square gets very busy, a small tip before trying to get a table, to to the store and buy an all access pack. you get a card that gives you first available seating, $20 in credit, a few badges a bag. show the card to the guy takeing names and you jump the queue. This works at almost all hard rock cafe's in the world you also build up points on the card each time you spend and get 10% of your spend back as credit for every $200 you spend ($20)

Airport Taxis
    From Newark it costs about $70 to midtown including tolls and a tip. again it was a flat fee but I cant remember what it was everything says you are responsible for the tip but the price you are given at the airport is what you pay+ tip dont go handing the drivers the tips at the toll booths or seperatly.
    JFK cost us $60 again to midtown, it is a flat fee of $45 + tolls and tips keep eyes right while in queens you will pass the location of the world fair you know the space craft from Men in black at the end and the globe they crash through.

On the way back we booked a car with the hotel, a black queenvic same as the taxis but nice and clean not manky like a taxis, the cost was about $10 more than the normal yellow cab so well worth it. You may also find out that about 4pm-5:30pm is shift change and taxis are very hard to come by, so the booked car is a good idea at that time even taxis at hotels are scarce. Taxis are considered a good way to get around but some drivers are a little scary, 2 speeds stopped or 50mph just like going on the roller coaster at new york new york in las vegas it is realistic. they do have a charter they are suposed to be clean and courteous give recipts etc if your not happy complain to the taxi company take the cabs medalion number.

The Subway is the cheapest way to get around $2 a ride or you can pay I think it was $7 for an unlimited all day ticket. the yellow line runs from over on 5th ave to 7th then down broadway with stops at times square and all the way down to the bottom and then over to brooklin. The trains have a letter on the front to indicate the route N or R go all the way down but Q and W cut off and head to brooklin early so make sure you get the right one. There is also the 7 day unlimited card for $21 which works out pretty good value. metro cards are also good for use on buses. The idea is try not to stand out and look like a tourist, the subway has got better in the last few years but its still a little dodgy, pick pockets etc but if people suspect your a tourist you may be followed from the station.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    I thought I would post a bit more info.
    Thanks LJ, great post and very informative

Thanks
    Karma Level

spot on cronus, LJ's posts are superb,but can't help worrying slightly about the mugging/being followed from the station bits

Think we'll steer well clear of the underground. Taxi's everywhere for me. they don't look very expensive after looking at that great little site Fincher found!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    can't help worrying slightly about the mugging/being followed from the station bits
    I'm not much of a worrier when it comes to these things, not that I'm confident like Bruce Lee, but I don't let it get to me and ruin my experience. I'm guessing I have been to worse places than NY, for example Rio de Janeiro. Hell, you can die in Finland now, just by trying to get an education.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    Hell, you can die in Finland now, just by trying to get an education.
    And you can't get more topical than that!

I won't let it spoil my experience. I'm just gonna take cabs everywhere, and try to look normal. I did want to take my camcorder with me... is that a bad move? I know that will make me look like a tourist but i'd be ok in central park, times square and the ESB wouldn't i? I wouldn't be taking it out at night or on the subways.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast