Default Re: New York

Here you go...

Spoiler:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    Continental are great, you find that the US airlines don't have the eye candy of Virgin and BA but the service is miles better, free drinks all the way and nothing is too much trouble.
    I've flown Continental 5 or 6 times to the US and I thought they where very poor.
    Drinks are no longer free, and the way the staff are you feel guilty asking for anything!

And as for NWA I would rather die than fly with them again. Once is enough.
    The staff where so rude it was unreal.
    A let down really as I flew KLM Bristlol - Amsterdam, and they where really nice, then NWA Amsterdam - Detroit and NWA Detroit - Houston and these flight where probably the worst of my life (that inludes a Air Zimbabwe flight from Kariba to Victoria Falls ).

Anyway I am taking the wife and our 3 year old to NY in June / July for 1 week. We will be flying BA (Mate is a pilot so I get reduced prices).

Anybody got any ideas on what to do with kids in NY?

My wife and son have never been to the US, so I want to make it a good trip for them.

Are bars / restaurants child friendly?
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    Here you go...
    Nice one mate.. Great photo..

Bet he does well with the ladies in NY..

Not sure about the tall bloke though!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    I've flown Continental 5 or 6 times to the US and I thought they where very poor.
    Drinks are no longer free, and the way the staff are you feel guilty asking for anything!
    I only got back last friday mate and all my soft drinks were free. You had to pay for beer and wine but thats understandable.

Central Park zoo is great for the kids, and you've got the big toys r us in times square with the ferris wheel in it... also the massive toy shop with the floor piano that Tom Hanks danced on in BIG, but its name escapes me at the mo.

Dunno about restaurants and bars though... plenty of BK and Maccy D's though

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I only got back last friday mate and all my soft drinks were free. You had to pay for beer and wine but thats understandable.

Central Park zoo is great for the kids, and you've got the big toys r us in times square with the ferris wheel in it... also the massive toy shop with the floor piano that Tom Hanks danced on in BIG, but its name escapes me at the mo.

Dunno about restaurants and bars though... plenty of BK and Maccy D's though
    Cheers Russbeer, but I don't think paying for beer on wine on flight to the US is understandable, maybe it's just me, But lets face it flights aren't cheap.

Cheers for the heads up on kids stuff, dunno about my son but I want to go on the floor piano from Big!

Was hoping to avoid the big M or BK.
    Last edited by tombott; 18th April 2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: beacause joey deacon is better at spelling than me
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just wondering if any of you guys got your bags searched/opened by the Transport Security Administration (TSA) once it went into hold ? I only have standard padlocks for my bag that are not TSA approved or whatever.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dunno if mine were opened or not as we had TSA padlocks on them, they sell them at asda, £5 for a pair... much less than the cost of a new suitcase if they have to bust it open!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 2die4 View Post
    Just wondering if any of you guys got your bags searched/opened by the Transport Security Administration (TSA) once it went into hold ? I only have standard padlocks for my bag that are not TSA approved or whatever.

I have no idea if they were opened, it didn't appear that way. I have no locks on my suitcases.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Off to NY next week , landing at Newark , how much is the taxi into town ? I've heard it can take you 2 hrs to get out of the aiport is this true ?
    Cheers

Sniper

My Specs
    ---------

x-ray (i wish) :p

Thanks
    Karma Level

we were landed, luggage collected and out of Newark within 30 mins when we went, they are very efficient. The taxi is a flat fee (plus you have to pay the tolls and tip) i think it was $40 flat fee but thats just over $50 with the tips and tolls. It shouldn't take more than an hour, but really depends on the traffic, we had 2 parades when we were going to our hotel, so we had to keep stopping.

I really do envy you, i loved the place and want to go back asap!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Off to NY next week , landing at Newark , how much is the taxi into town ? I've heard it can take you 2 hrs to get out of the aiport is this true ?
    the wife and I travel have travelled with supershuttle, works out cheaper than a taxi, door to door and you can prebook pick up back again.

We paid for it with expedia when we booked, but you can probably book online - http://www.supershuttle.com/
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hxbro View Post
    the wife and I travel have travelled with supershuttle, works out cheaper than a taxi, door to door and you can prebook pick up back again.
    You can pay for supershuttles when you get on them, you'll find phones in newark airport at the ground transportation desks, theres a few of them. We pre paid for one and had to wait 45 mins for it to pick us up, then we were sat in the shuttle with 8 other people and we were the last ones to be dropped off, all in all it took about 3 hours to get to midtown east manhattan. Not good, but cheap!

Find where you are staying and get the train from Newark to Pennsylvania Station (right by madison square garden) and then get the subway to your nearest stop, by far the quickest way, depends on how much luggage you have though and time of day etc.

Any more questions mate, just ask!

Thanks
    Karma Level

we were landed, luggage collected and out of Newark within 30 mins when we went, they are very efficient. The taxi is a flat fee (plus you have to pay the tolls and tip) i think it was $40 flat fee but thats just over $50 with the tips and tolls.
    Cheers for that m8, off there next week too. It's been a few years since I was last in NY and you really wouldn't believe how anxious I am to go back there. Think we'll grab a taxi when we arrive and on departure probably book a private car since it seems to be more or less the same price (give or take a few $).

Already got my shopping planned, first stop is to buy a PS3 *L*

Cannot wait to try a deli sandwich since I never got round to it the last time I went.

Also grabbed a couple of TSA padlocks too

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you want a real deli sandwich type thing look for Judys Rock n Roll deli near the lower east side of central park. You've never seen anything quite like it!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well just got back home a few hours ago after a fantastic 5 days in New York with my girlfriend. Ok a huge post from me since it's still fresh in my memory!

Totally agree with Russbeer about the service you get in America and you don't seem to get that snotty "I'm not paid enough to deal with you" attitude you get from shop assistants here regardless of what you shop you goto and what you are wearing etc. We went to Macys a few times when they opened and as you walk in all the staff are lined up at there sections and all wish you a good morning, etc. Pretty much all the shops and restaurants we went to the staff couldn't do enough to be honest and it makes a really nice change to have such helpful staff who will look after you.

Anyway, it was a manic 5 days and we tried to squeeze everything we had planned but unfortunately never did.

Arrived on Thursday afternoon at around 1pm and took a taxi from Newark to our hotel which was located on 57th street and was 2 blocks down from Central Park and close to 5th avenue and Times Square. The room was big with 2 double beds and I had no complaints about the room, if I were to split hairs I could say it could do with touch of paint but we were both very happy with the room, the staff were great and the location was brilliant. Although the taxi there was a bit crap as the driver had no idea where the place was despite the fact I gave him a print out map of the hotel and I am sure he ripped us off as well. Oh well.

Next day (Friday) we had tickets to go to Liberty Island. Got down early and quickly went to Century 21 for a look around with the intention of coming back after the Liberty Island tour. It was pissing it down the whole day which really put a dampener on things (no pun intended) so it was a quick stroll around the Island and then back on the boat. We had tickets to get to the base of the Statue but to be honest we were both a bit pissed off and soaken wet so decided against it, especially when we seen how many school trips were going to be doing the same thing. Anyway, I was not in the mood to go clothes shopping so we took the subway to Canal Street where my girlfriend was on the look out for some knock off handbags. Got approached by a few people straight away but declined them. Seen loads of women carrying black binliner type bags walking down the street towards to us which pretty much shows they have been buying knock offs/fakes. Anyway about half way up Canal street we're approached by a woman with a little card with pictures of bags, etc so we agree and follow her. She led us off Canal Street and with walkie talkie in hand spoke to someone. We ended up at this shop front where there was nothing in there but some kids clothes on display in the window and hanging on the wall. A guy stands outside with another walkie talkie and buzzes in to unlock the door for us to go in. We go in and then the back wall which has a hidden door opens up and we're in. It was a mecca of knock off handbags in the back room. There were a few people in already doing deals etc so I listened out to see what they were paying. Average was about $35-$40 per bag. My girlfriend picked out 3 bags, we did a bit of haggling and got all 3 for $85 so she was happy enough with that.

I have to admit the first time I went to Canal street (about 10 years ago) it was amazing. It was the place to go for all things electronic and the prices were pretty decent and the selection was huge but today going back to it, it's pretty crap. Just cheap tat, some electronic shops but not selling anything major and lots of street sellers (both Asian and African) trying to sell knock off bags. There are a few sellers selling knock off watches (but not many) which I had a quick look but the ones I seen were of crap quality. They looked the part but the weight was just not there. One of the street sellers got a bit lairy since I told her I thought I didn't want them because they were not good and she though making a scene would make me part with my cash. I really couldn't give a shit to be honest and I'm not having some street seller bully me into buying something I don't want so we just walked off.

From China town it was Little Italy for some lunch and then we got the subway back to the hotel. Friday night went to see Hairspray the musical. I'm not a musicals person but it was a good show and production. Only thing was I was a bit too tired but despite that it was all good.

Saturday, it was a glorious day and really sunny so we went back down to the Financial district and took the Staton Island ferry (which is free) and got some great pics and came back again. Went to some Mexican restaurant in Greenwich Village with some friends who had just arrived that day. Had a great night with a few mojitos, tequillas and beers and yeah the food was good too.

Sunday, hung over to hell but still dragged my arse out of bed early to hit Empire State Building at 8am. Weather was great in the morning but rainy in the afternoon that day so I'm pleased we went early. From there more shopping and the girlfriend picked up a necklace from Tiffanys and given the exchange rate it wasn't a bad price.

Monday was our last full day in New York so we went to a few shops to get rid of the last few hundred dollars we had left and in the afternoon went to see a few sights we had planned to see and do such as walk round central park (we planned on hiring bikes to cycle round but the weather was over cast so decided against it), Grand Central Station and a few other landmarks.

Tuesday, we had a car booked to take us to the airport at 2pm so that gave me time to go to Virgin megastore and pick up a few blu-ray titles and then a spot of lunch. The car arrived but unfortunately all the city cars were used so a stretch limo arrived instead to take use to Newark airport in style. Got charged the same price and helped ourselves to drinks in the back on the way to Newark.

We flew with Continental and it was good. The flight going over was rammed but coming back there was plenty of empty seats and I managed to get some much needed sleep.

Now it's back to reality with a bump as I'm unpacking my bags. Both my girlfriend and myself went overboard on the shopping but that was the idea. I picked up a shitload of clothes, 4 pairs of trainers, a watch, PS3 with games and extra controller, etc., and some other stuff I cannot remember off the top of my head. Just as well I packed an empty bag in my suitcase

My feet are killing me from all the walking we done but despite that we're already planning on going back

Thanks
    Karma Level

great stuff mate. You getting some pics up once you have time?

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok got some pics uploaded. Still haven't had time to go through all of them but grabbed a few and scaled them down a little.

The famous Carnegie Deli where there serve huge sandwiches and quite possibly the nicest strawberry cheesecake I have ever had! It was a couple of minutes from where our hotel was.
    Spoiler:

The cheesecake in all it's glory! *L*

Time Square at night. The buzz around the place is amazing. My girlfriend popped into the Virgin Megastore close to midnight to buy an iPod Nano.
    Spoiler:

A rain soaked Statue of Liberty. Although the pictures might not really show it was absolutely pissing it down!
    Spoiler:

View of the New York skyline taken from the Staton Island ferry. Quick tip as well, on the way back from Staton Island, go down to the car deck as it's not crowded and you get the best views of New York.
    Spoiler:

View from Empire State building. We went early (around 8am) and there was a queue but it moved fairly fast. By the time we left (about 45 minutes) the queue was twice as long and it had stopped to a crawl.
    Spoiler:

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Empire State views are breathtaking... I did a panoramic pic or two with my photos when i got back...

and from the Statue of Liberty ferry:

I'm rather proud of them!
    Last edited by russbeer; 22nd May 2008 at 08:35 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345