Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Six patients treated for C diff

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Six patients treated for C diff

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Six patients at the Victoria Infirmary were treated for C Difficile

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA --><!-- S SF -->Six patients at a Glasgow hospital are being treated in an isolation unit for the bug Clostridium difficile (C diff).
    The health board said none of the patients, at the Victoria Infirmary, were giving cause for concern.
    Another ward at the hospital has stopped admissions after three patients were diagnosed with symptoms of suspected viral gastroenteritis.
    The news comes the day after the C diff bacterium was linked to 90 deaths in Kent by a Healthcare Commission study. <!-- E SF -->
    Produces spores
    Police and health and safety officials are investigating Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust after poor hygiene standards were linked to patient deaths at the Kent and Sussex Hospital, Pembury Hospital and Maidstone Hospital.
    Health Secretary Alan Johnson ordered that severance payments to Rose Gibb be withheld after she stepped down as head of Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust.
    Clostridium difficile, or C diff, is a severe form of infectious diarrhoea, which can be fatal.
    The Clostridium family also includes the bacteria that cause tetanus, botulism and gas gangrene.
    The difficulty in controlling C diff is that it produces spores that can survive for a long time in the environment.
    C diff ranges from a mild diarrhoea to a very severe illness with ulceration and bleeding from the colon and, at worst, perforation of the intestine leading to peritonitis. It is found in about one in 50 healthy adults, who carry the bug without it causing any problems. It mainly causes infection amongst patients who have received recent antibiotic therapy, especially the elderly.<!-- E BO -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7042544.stm

Seems to have moved from us at Maidstone to Scotland probably due to some staff transfers if you ask me.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Six patients treated for C diff

Well you learn something new each day, another possible deadly virus is out there and now in the public domain

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i had an op about 6 weeks ago
    when any nurse/doctor came near (when they could pull themselves away from talking at the desk not about work may i add) my bed not one used that stuff to clean the hand. bloody waste of time if you ask me. then the goverment get the blame why the is spreading. all the nursing staff needs retrained in cleanlness
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nursing staff seem to have their head up their arses.

My grandfather lay dying in a dirty bed for days on end, he also required a spittoon sp?
    and rather than give him one they would just watch him cough his guts up instead.

When we came to visit I always had to say, why not the clean bed, why not the spittoon..
    to which I was told its not my problem its someone Else's.

I now understand why family, friends loved ones etc try to spend as much time with the person they know in hospital because if someone isn't there 24/7 to keep tabs on things standards do start to slide a fair bit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

When i read stuff like this and the horrendous fuckin hospital the other day on the news, it really makes me sick.

First comments you get is "Nursing staff want fuckin shot, retrained and so on" as if all fuckin nurses are the same.

We've had so many heated debates in this forum regarding hospital care, but please remember not to fuckin tar all nurses with the same brush. In my last 4 years i have never, EVER seen one case of a filthy ward, staff not adhering to the hand-washing policy, poor care delivery....etc.

What i do see from these threads is that the common factor linking them all is the south. Maybe everyone down south is a dirty cunt "thats my attempt at tarring".

Maybe its the fact that ive only ever worked in Children's Wards, but what i can say is out of the eight hospitals ive worked in every single one is fuckin gleaming and you cant forget to wash your hands or use alcohol gel because all of the staff monitor each other and audit are carried out without disclosing when, parents and patients are spot checked and asked whether the nurses have done this as well.

Ive had some horrible experiences personally in hospitals, but if i was gonna slag them off i would make sure i named the fuckin hospital and ward and not nurses as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadleo View Post
    all the nursing staff needs retrained in cleanlness
    Quote Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
    Nursing staff seem to have their head up their arses.
    Fuckin typical
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

My G/f caught that particular bug when in intensive care,but at the time she was very unwell ,and they managed to contain the bug to a ward as it travels quickly ,and trust me the stink from the ward is one that will never leave my memory ,how those nurses put up with it is beyond me it was eye watering .No-one died with it during this time .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DB View Post
    We've had so many heated debates in this forum regarding hospital care, but please remember not to fuckin tar all nurses with the same brush. In my last 4 years i have never, EVER seen one case of a filthy ward, staff not adhering to the hand-washing policy, poor care delivery....etc.
    I agree with you but its pretty much the same thing that everyone is doing when they call all the striking postmen lazy cunts etc. The news worthy minority define the majority.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive had some horrible experiences personally in hospitals, but if i was gonna slag them off i would make sure i named the fuckin hospital and ward and not nurses as a whole.

Fuckin typical
    sorry m8 not to tar all hospital. but it winds me up

musgrave park hospital
    it was reported to have one of the worst cases of mrsa (and i fuckin wonder why!)
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

When i read stuff like this and the horrendous fuckin hospital the other day on the news, it really makes me sick.

First comments you get is "Nursing staff want fuckin shot, retrained and so on" as if all fuckin nurses are the same.

What i do see from these threads is that the common factor linking them all is the south. Maybe everyone down south is a dirty cunt "thats my attempt at tarring".

Maybe its the fact that ive only ever worked in Children's Wards, but what i can say is out of the eight hospitals ive worked in every single one is fuckin gleaming and you cant forget to wash your hands or use alcohol gel because all of the staff monitor each other and audit are carried out without disclosing when, parents and patients are spot checked and asked whether the nurses have done this as well.

Fuckin typical
    Well I am from the Northwest so you can get off you high horse on that one.

Secondly I can only base my opinions on what my experiences are and I am well entitled to my opinion also, my local Royal hospital is a dirty dump at the best of times..even going the A.E last year with my mother I witnessed blood on the door handles, blood on the paper sheet they lay down over the beds, they also asked my mother to lay down on one and she politely refused until the paper sheet was replaced due to it having blood stains all over it.

This isn't the first time I witnessed it also.

The nurses at the same hospital on my grandfathers ward were to put it at best a bunch
    of slappers who all looked like a poor version of the spice girls, the ward was dirty and they never spent anytime at all ensuring patients were ok and got what they required, even a simple thing like a spittoon resulted in me having to demand it as they left him laying there covered in his own phlegm and spit.

They very rarely left the staff room and always remained as a group of say 4 or 5 so when you approached one asking for something you could feel the atmosphere and tension as they all stuck imaginary knives into you..my family were more intimidated than myself hence why it was usually me going to the staff room to request things.

Based on my experience I would be very scared to need to stay in one of these places, and although my opinions are based on one particular hospital I cant for one minute see it being an isolated case..more like a realistic reflection of how the health service operates nationwide.

On a more positive note I recently had dealings with Birmingham's children's hospital and the service was fantastic and the place was spotless.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
    ..more like a realistic reflection of how the health service operates nationwide.

On a more positive note I recently had dealings with Birmingham's children's hospital and the service was fantastic and the place was spotless.
    Contradictory??

Your experiences are disgusting ones and therefore i hope an official complaint was made, if it wasn't it will never change.

Complaints are handled by people who are on the side of the complainant and not the Trust and are taken very seriously indeed. You could have had them hauled for that.

Ohh and im not on a high horse, its a fuckin shetland pony

Thanks
    Karma Level

Contradictory??

Your experiences are disgusting ones and therefore i hope an official complaint was made, if it wasn't it will never change.

Complaints are handled by people who are on the side of the complainant and not the Trust and are taken very seriously indeed. You could have had them hauled for that.

Ohh and im not on a high horse, its a fuckin shetland pony
    Not really no, I still stand firm in my belief that what I experienced at my local hospital is probably a true reflection of most hospitals these days.

I was reinforcing your suggestion that childrens hospitals in the main are run excellently, and my experience in Birmingham Children's recently was nothing short of brilliant and quite like how you described they are run.

I placed numerous complaints about the service my mother got, however I never got round to doing it over my grandfather as we had a lot on our plate at that time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I honestly cant comment on adult wards as i have never been on one nor have any of my family (thank god)

It seems its now common for adults to panic about staying in hospital, rightly so after you hear some of the horror story's on the news, but surely these are isolated incidents, at least we can hope they are.

It amazes me how quickly some nurses can forget the way they were trained because all Nurses have the same training (except the really oldies).

I tend to nurse my patients the way i would expect to be nursed if i was ever in the same situation, its called simple respect and is highlighted very often during training.

I was discriminated against about 5 years ago by a nurse for having so many tattoo's, the cunt was horrible to me, but it was water of a ducks back. In hindsight i wish i had complained about her because unless complaints are made the cunts will still be able to discriminate and treat people badly and get away with it.

My advice is if you are dissatisfied with the service you receive from the NHS get a fuckin complaint in. They really do get taken very seriously.