Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Are foreigners really ruining our game?

There's been an awful lot of press recently about how all the foreign imports are ruining our game. I must admit I've been a tentative supporter of the quota system, but only because I know that United have a solid English core, and that Arsenal would really suffer. However, in the past two weeks or so more and more managers - and now players - are coming out saying how its ruining the national game. So I thought to myself "is it really? Why are they saying this?".

Strikes me you only have to look at the following list to see that the English national team have a long and varied history of total and abject failure. Take a look:

1950 World Cup - out in the 1st round
    1954 World Cup - made it to the QF's
    1958 World Cup - out in the first round
    1962 World Cup - made it to the QF's
    1964 European Cup - did not qualify
    1966 World Cup - winners, but only because it was at home
    1968 European Cup - 3rd place
    1970 World Cup - made it to the QF's
    1972 European Cup - did not qualify
    1974 World Cup - did not qualify
    1976 European Cup - did not qualify
    1978 World Cup - did not qualify
    1980 European Cup - out in round 1
    1982 World Cup - out in round 2
    1984 European Cup - did not qualify
    1986 World Cup - made it to the QF's
    1988 European Cup - out in round 1
    1990 World Cup - made it to the SF's
    1992 European Cup - out in round 1
    1994 World Cup - did not qualify
    1996 European Cup - semi finals, but again it was at home
    1998 World Cup - out in round 2
    2000 European Cup - out in round 1
    2002 World Cup - made it to the QF's
    2004 European Cup - made it to the QF's
    2006 World Cup - made it to the QF's

So basically, as I see it, England have been at their MOST consistent EVER during the last 5 years. When coached by a foreigner, and with the national league flooded with foreigners. I mean FFS in the 70's England failed to qualify for 4 major tournaments in a row, and there were few foreigners playing in our leagues, and no foreign coaches. And IIRC, the first foreign coach, certainly at the top level, was Dr Jo Venglos who was at Villa in the early 90's, so we can't blame foreign coaches either.

No, the foreigners are not to blame. The coach isn't to blame. And you know what? The players aren't to blame either - and neither are their salaries. After all, they're not doing anything that hasn't been done by England football teams for the past 60 years and sorry, but I refuse to believe that the players have no real drive and desire to play for England. John Terry may not have been photo'd with a bloody badage a la Terry Butcher, but hey, these days they're made to get off the pitch at the first sight of blood anyway, so its pretty difficult. No, the problem is fairly and squarely with the media for over-hyping the players and over-hyping the expectation levels. We are as good as we ever were and, barring a miracle, as we will ever be. So lets stop looking for excuses and accept that we are an ok team, but nothing more. Maybe if we get behind them a little more it will help them. Who knows!!!

As a side note, I'm sending this off to Football365 too, interesting to see if they publish

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Are foreigners really ruining our game?

Very Good read that.

i dont see how foreigners are ruining the game. If they didnt want to come and play in England, we wouldhave a bunch of average british players winning championships.

Do foreigners have magic powers that make Brits crap footballers? no, they are just better. Would having less foreigners make them better? No.

The proof is on the pitch. Like i said in my other post, how many of the current England/Irish/Welsh/Scottish squad would get in the top 4 club's squad? not many.

Thanks
    Karma Level

they have always been shit, and always will be shit. just like scotland.
    1966 World Cup - winners, but only because it was at home
    aint that the fuckin truth.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post
    they have always been shit, and always will be shit. just like scotland.
    aint that the fuckin truth.
    The thing is us scots know that, but the english especially there media think theyre a top side.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

One thing I've noticed is the marked difference in attitudes between supporters of (for example) Arsenal and Chelsea and other (smaller often) clubs. Those with foreign players support it, those without seem to oppose it. While that is a massive sweeping statement it's something I've noticed and it's almost as if it's an excuse used by teams who can't compete in the international market for the very best players.

Incidentally, St Stevie the Hypocrite strikes again. Given that his own team has such high numbers of foreigners he might be best off looking closer to home.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by diablos View Post
    The thing is us scots know that, but the english especially there media think theyre a top side.
    Yawn. Ask the majority of fans whether they think England are a top side and they'll tell you no.
    Last edited by maverick_15; 15th November 2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Spelling like a 5 year old.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

In my eyes it just makes competition stronger. If you are good enough then you will play, (just maybe not for Arsenal).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I am really enjoying the Premier League at the moment. I think it has surpassed the Spanish league now in terms of consistent entertainment, and I honestly believe we are approaching - if not ahead - in terms of quality too. I would find it hard to say that a team like Barcelona is playing more attractive football than United or Arsenal. There's an argument either way, and that in itself is probably a first, as English football has always been about strength and power first and skill second - but this is no longer the case. Both United and Arsenal now play gorgeous football to watch, and this is down largely IMO to the skill of the players on both sides, who by and large are foreign. Sure, United do have an English core, but the likes of Ronaldo, Tevez, Nani, Anderson, even Evra, cannot be discounted when it comes to our flowing and attacking football.

No, I'm all for foreigners. Give me consistently great club football, the most exciting league in the World, and the chance to win the greatest club trophies available and I will snap your hand off, and some. This is what the English league provides now, and for the sake of a poor national side its a price I am VERY willing to pay!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Personally I am really enjoying the Premier League at the moment. I think it has surpassed the Spanish league now in terms of consistent entertainment, and I honestly believe we are approaching - if not ahead - in terms of quality too. I would find it hard to say that a team like Barcelona is playing more attractive football than United or Arsenal. There's an argument either way, and that in itself is probably a first, as English football has always been about strength and power first and skill second - but this is no longer the case. Both United and Arsenal now play gorgeous football to watch, and this is down largely IMO to the skill of the players on both sides, who by and large are foreign. Sure, United do have an English core, but the likes of Ronaldo, Tevez, Nani, Anderson, even Evra, cannot be discounted when it comes to our flowing and attacking football.

No, I'm all for foreigners. Give me consistently great club football, the most exciting league in the World, and the chance to win the greatest club trophies available and I will snap your hand off, and some. This is what the English league provides now, and for the sake of a poor national side its a price I am VERY willing to pay!

So put it this way, would you rather see:

Man Utd win another Premier League title?
    or
    England win the World Cup?

I know what my answer would be.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by LFC Muppet View Post
    So put it this way, would you rather see:

Man Utd win another Premier League title?
    or
    England win the World Cup?

I know what my answer would be.
    Id rather see England win the World Cup of course, though if you ask me if I'd rather see United win another European Cup I think my answer would be different. You see for me, I love United. I don't love England. Would I be out on the streets cheering and screaming if we won the World Cup? Damn right I would, but it is something I know I will never likely see, unless we do host it in 2018 and get lucky again (at which point half of Scotland commit suicide). I put United over England because United is there, week in week out, whereas England are not.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by diablos View Post
    Something i've always wanted to ask a Scot, does it not piss you off when Alan Hansen and Andy Gray always seem to be the pundit's (or commentator for Andy) for England Games and not Scottish ones?!?!?

Where is their Loyalty?
    Last edited by Goldberg; 15th November 2007 at 04:39 PM.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Id rather see England win the World Cup of course, though if you ask me if I'd rather see United win another European Cup I think my answer would be different. You see for me, I love United. I don't love England. Would I be out on the streets cheering and screaming if we won the World Cup? Damn right I would, but it is something I know I will never likely see, unless we do host it in 2018 and get lucky again (at which point half of Scotland commit suicide). I put United over England because United is there, week in week out, whereas England are not.
    i agree, its liverpool first and england second for me,to be fair i think most fans from (the north anyway)would probably feel the same due to the fact that our national team stay down south and on the odd occasion they travel down these neck of the woods its nigh in impossible to get tickets to see them,i see them as more of a southern side regardless of whos playing for them,as for the original point foriegners, i dont see a problem buying players who are already top pros its when clubs go and buy young foriegn players who might and might not make it that then impacts on our youngsters getting thier chance,that for me is what needs to be curtailed,and yes i include my club in that before anyone starts

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Something i've always wanted to ask a Scot, does it not piss you off when Alan Hansen and Andy Gray always seem to be the pundit's (or commentator for Andy) for England Games and not Scottish ones?!?!?

Where is their Loyalty?
    No not really i think Andy grays a good commentator and a bear which helps, Hansen's a bit ropey at times but on the whole i find him OK.
    The English media will kill any chance of England ever having any success as they expect all players and managers to be a model of virtue or almost angelic, when the press can behave like total scum it doesn't make sense.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Blackburn first for me then England.. im not to bothered about the players aslong as we play well

Thanks
    Karma Level

hansen is a prick.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post
    hansen is a prick.
    For once - and probably the only time ever - I wholeheartedly agree with you.
    Cheers - Coin-Op

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd rather Sunderland won a cup let alone the league, ahead of england winning anything.

England are fuckin shite....FACT, look at that list, if not for the last 3 tournaments and the lucky win we would be lucky to scratch the top 40.

Shit team full of unbelievably talented individual players, who cant play together. Shite managers trying their best to get these players to play together by playing them in the wrong positions go figure?

Ohh and no i dont think foreigners are ruining the game at all, if anything our youngsters will learn from them.
    Last edited by DB; 15th November 2007 at 08:56 PM.
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think it's a bit harsh to blame it all on foreign players. If English players aren't good enough then that's there own fault.

I think the following 2 reasons are bigger problems and they are 1. English players are always overpriced and 2. Foreign Managers.

If you are a club manager and have a limited budget, why would you pay twice as much for a player of the same calibre just because he's got an English passport. Look at Carrick - good player??? Yes, but £18M??? is he fook. If he was French or Nigerian he would have cost less than £8M. Same with pretty much any other English player you look at. Ashley Cole was quoted at about £25M or something ridiculous and it's not just at the top end. Look at how lower teams and Championship teams put huge price tags on their English players.

Foreign Mangers have no loyalty to Team England and have no interest in helping the national side. Therefore they come in and bring in a whole armada of overseas players - look at Wenger, Ranieri, Benitez, Eriksson, Mourinho, Jol just to name a few. How many of them have purchased and developed English players?

England should be good enough to win the World Cup now and again. England has the resources, the players and the infrastructure, but then so do Spain and they don't exactly go from each Championships as winners.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by -G-Man- View Post
    Very Good read that.

i dont see how foreigners are ruining the game. If they didnt want to come and play in England, we wouldhave a bunch of average british players winning championships.

Do foreigners have magic powers that make Brits crap footballers? no, they are just better. Would having less foreigners make them better? No.

The proof is on the pitch. Like i said in my other post, how many of the current England/Irish/Welsh/Scottish squad would get in the top 4 club's squad? not many.

I read the post title and KNEW you would be first to reply....

I dont like the foreigners playing here, I don think they should be removed all together, a limit needs to be put in place imo. Same with regards to general population....
    We Are....The Mighty Liverpool Reds

Seen a Movie lately? Share your opinions in the Movie Section

"There is no doubt we are in the shadow of Liverpool, but we are doing out utmost to compete with them." - David Moyes

Thanks
    Karma Level

i was looking through a villa programme the other day. I came to the youth section and names like mikaelsson, stieber, bellon plus others. half the kids were forigen! these are 15 year old lads. I bet it's the same at man utd and liverpool etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast