Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default How to prevent spoofing/phishing

Im just curious about what people use to notify them of a site that is spoofed, or emails and such. I know on ebay they have an account guard that I can download to let me know if the ebay/paypal page I am on is official, but it is with the ebay toolbar, so I dont want the extra junk. I use firefox, and the options for checking for suspected forgery sites through firefox is either through firefox's downloaded list that is local on my computer, and they recommend letting it check with google.com which is better, though google may log your local ip address and other cookie info, which I am not too concerned about. Just wondering if this is good enough or what people do.

I recently had an issue when I put something on ebay, and I got an ebay email saying that this guy wanted to pay me xx dollars right away for the item, which is illegal since I legally have to finish the ebay auction and sell it to the winner. Though I tried to bluff the guy, I got emails and such that were forgery's of paypal and ebay. I did fall for it at all, there were spelling and grammar issues, and when I put my mouse cursor over the links within the email, they were not official.

I think I scared the guy since I was always ahead of him. Im not gonna say what I did, but I think he may take a break from trying this again for a while.

-DiGiT

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How to prevent spoofing/phishing

Quote Originally Posted by DiGiT View Post
    Im just curious about what people use to notify them of a site that is spoofed, or emails and such.
    Common sense.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by destro404 View Post
    Common sense.
    yes.. which I am using now. Other than antivirus and spyware software, are their spoofing monitors, or is the one in internet explorer and firefox sufficient
    -DiGiT

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use norton which has a fraud monitor built in

i've not come across any spoof sites but if anyone has links id be willing to check how effective it is

Thanks
    Karma Level

Enter your password incorrectly the first time you login anywhere. A pukka site will know that the password entered was wrong and ask for you to re-enter. A fake site won't.

Also use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722 which will give alert to XSS.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I came accross a fake site once that always responded saying wrong password, hoping for users to input all the passwords they use, in order to give the hacker a few passwords for the same identity.

I know a few years ago TD (Toronto Dominion Banking COmpany had there site spoofed, so that when you went to the site, you would enter your account and pw, and all it would do is reload the login page one more time, but this time you were actually on the legit site, so people didnt think about it too much. The hacker got the information, and the user would simply think his browser fucked up and just refreshed the page. I think it was working for 3 days before someone realized it happened every time they went to the site.
    -DiGiT

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
    I use norton which has a fraud monitor built in

i've not come across any spoof sites but if anyone has links id be willing to check how effective it is

lol dont use norton for anything it's absoloutly sh1te

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by the_wizzard View Post
    lol dont use norton for anything it's absoloutly sh1te

true that!

I have a slow enough sysem (800mhz with 512 ram) so that when I analyze different programs and how much resources/memory they use and how slow the computer runs.. I have done enough tests will all torrent clients aswell as antivirus programs

as much as we all know that norton may be a good quality program, but it is the biggest resource hog of all. I dont really know anything worse.
    Anyways.. I have found that nod32 is the best, yes better than avast or AVG, etc.. and for torrent programs utorrent is by far the best. as for features and such I didnt take that into consideration. I only came to these decisions based on computer performance while these programs are running.. at max, or just in background.

It is a bit hard for most of us to test out performance even with analyzing programs and tools because you can do the tests over and over, and the conclusion is never accurate enough or the results are never the same. because of the fast pc's we all use. Fortunately I found that with a slower system, you can see the difference where it takes an extra 20 seconds to load a program etc..
    -DiGiT