Close

View Poll Results: What type of hosting server do you prefer

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linux

13 50.00%
  • Windows

6 23.08%
  • Either or - Makes no difference to me!

7 26.92%
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Where to register a domain and host it?

OK.. I used Godaddy.com to register a domain name, and I also set up a hosting account with them aswell. They have many options for me from an online file server, to databases, etc...

I am about to register a new domain, and I will be needing to set up a hosting account for it aswell. My question is are there some better suggestions for me as to a different copmany to register/host my domain/site. I dont just want a company with basic hosting. I do like the online options since I am a bit new to web design. I just dont get the greatest support from godaddy.

I would prefer to register and host the domain with the same company. But I figure I will take suggestions from here before I simply use godaddy again.

I am hosting presently with windows. I have tried linux before, but I am thinking I will start learning about windows hosting first.

anyways, any input on any of this would be great.. thanks in advance.

And cost and pricing isnt really a big concern. I just want the best service with support and online configuration options, etc..
    -DiGiT

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Where to register a domain and host it?

Time Flies when you're having fun! A decade of DF - April 2002-2012.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just to throw another company in the mix - www.ukreg.com

Been with them for years.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I like ukreg - I ended up following a link to fasthosts directly... I am still deciding what to do. Would it make a difference if I host it in canada or uk for speed and bandwidth.. I assume no.
    -DiGiT

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DiGiT View Post
    Would it make a difference if I host it in canada or uk for speed and bandwidth.. I assume no.
    It depends where your viewers are... UK folk viewing a Canada hosted server are going to have higher latency than those in Canada/US quite obviously. However, if they have a good infrastructure, it's not really going to make alot of difference.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

ya... I dont know why I even care since my site isnt reaply visited often. It is mostly for learning and practice, and testing.
    -DiGiT

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a couple of servers with lunarpages too.

http://www.lunarpages.com/

They are based in the States. The service and customer service is so good I can't praise them enough. Speed has always been great.

Been with them for a few years now and I still can't believe how cheap they are. Service isn't compromised in the slightest.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I have a couple of servers with lunarpages too.

http://www.lunarpages.com/

They are based in the States. The service and customer service is so good I can't praise them enough. Speed has always been great.

Been with them for a few years now and I still can't believe how cheap they are. Service isn't compromised in the slightest.
    I realized with godaddy that in order to get faster speeds for u/l and d/l I need to upgrade to a dedicated server, or dedicated virtual server. With lunarpages - do you know what your speeds were, and what type of server package u were on
    -DiGiT

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use domainit.com

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

im using domainmonster.com and find them no probs at all

Thanks
    Karma Level

Think I've used "Bargainhost" and "ukreg" in the past...

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks guys ... turns out I have to leave it for now since they have my credit card data, and since I dont have a credit card presently, I dont want to start a whole new account for billing. thanks anyways guys!

This thread may be closed by a mod!
    -DiGiT

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hello Digit!
    I was looking around about hosting attitudes and I have found this thread, so I would give you also my 5 cents of experience.
    For registering domains I've been using - since it does exists - Networksolutions.
    I have had only minor problems with them. It is large, it is safe, it is strongly linked with Verisign. No problems but minor ones. And also I've never had such for ... humm... I think 5 or 6 years.
    For hosting I have used different ISPs, because my need is always ColdFusion availability, which is mandatory for my business.
    The last company I'm using - that apart from a cronicle slowness of FTPs hasn't any serious problem - is Crystaltech (h**p://www.crystaltech.com/).
    I've been using them for 3 years and I may say that this is a serious company.
    Good features, good response time/content on tickets, good offers with competitive prices if compared with other CF hosting companies, good server performances with all CF tags available.
    I have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with this ISP and I could suggest it to other professionals.
    I also decided at the beginning of my involvement on internet, that I would have kept divided the domain registration and the domain hosting, because the freedom is essential in my experience.
    An ISP isn't good any longer ? OK. Go to the Networksolutions DNS panel, change it to another ISP and you're on line somewhere else in 24 hours.
    Aso I have to say that I prefer those ISPs which offer reseller packages.
    Splittable hosting plans are right for me. No useless gigabyte of space (which nobody unless google will ever use) but the possibility to host many domains into my space, have a good traffic load and, of course, ColdFusion.

Stay well.
    Last edited by Guba; 18th December 2007 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks guba... I ended up staying with godaddy just for simple reasons as to keep my account details with them, and not to spread my credit card and personal info everywhere and possibly get things lost in the transition. I also just switched everything over to dedicated server just to try to learn it. and if you were to go to my site, you will see that I am a bit lost right now - the main page is just my plesk panel. I am learning slowly about plesk. anyone use plesk..

EDIT: I fully understand the reasoning behind using one service like networksolutions (which I know is great - I would say one of the first aruond, and very legit) for registering, and a different company for hosting. I used networksolutions many years ago, than I also used tucows, which was big in canada, now I dont know how good they are. I also used directnic once or twice. Dont know how I chose them though.

I never heard much about godaddy, but I seem to be liking them more and more. They have many options, and features. Although whenever you make a revision or change or addition to anything from dns to hosting to anything the site states it may take some time to process, it usually happens within minutes or hours.

As for the ticketing response. very prompt, but sometimes a bit vague. Though that was with a very basic hosting package. Now that I have set up my dedicated virtual server with windows, and 500gig for around 50 bucks a month, I have a guy who wants me to use him for any additional purchases so he can get a commission and he seems very eager to help me, and the ticketing response seems a bit better.

I manly switched over to the virtual dedicated since my basic hosting was like 250kb d/l. so I have yet to try a transfer, but I do hope it will be a bit quicker.

Coldfusion eh. dont know anything about it yet.. but my package seems to have everything if I want it.
    Last edited by DiGiT; 18th December 2007 at 07:03 AM.
    -DiGiT

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

domains
    - 123-reg for .co.uk
    - godaddy for .coms
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hilljd00 View Post
    domains
    - 123-reg for .co.uk
    - godaddy for .coms
    Cheers, I just registered a .com domain name through godaddy & while the process is long winded (they offer upgrade this & upgrade that) it did work out in the end. I did also register it 'by proxy'.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have only hosted one site before but often get look at offers for hosting i can only recomment www.servage.net. you get loads of webspace and bandwidth more than any i have seen the normal cost is £4.50 a month. theres a coupon code that still works to get it to £2.47 a month.

Coupon code "mega"

I got the code in an email after i stopped my website to try and get me back with them but have checked since and it still seems to work.
    If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else

Thanks
    Karma Level

personally if i need to register a domain at godaddy, i have a look at revision3.com and flick through the show notes as they always have a discount code be it 10 or 20% i know its not a lot but atleast its a saving

Thanks
    Karma Level

well although with even a mega discount servage.net is still £40 for 14 months, however that's with the domian name too and I plan to host all my sites with them, so if it works out then it'll be worth it.

I like the idea of 500gb of space with 5tb of transferbandwidth, if that doesn't do I'll go dedicated.

I'm just about to open a site which is pretty much just a repository, so space and bandwith were essential. I just hope it can cope and offer me some decent transfer speeds....

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use godaddy for domains, like the control panel.

As a dedicated server I'd go for theplanet.com have a server with them and never had an issues. For more budget then hostgator.com - you get cpanel thrown in, unlimited domains and it's about £6 a month.
    Thoic - The friendly forums.