Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Linux Receiver Considerations...

Ok so I'm about to take the plunge and get a 1m motorised system put in.

I'm 100% set on a linux receiver but am having real difficulty deciding between the relative merits of the available boxes I know of, which so far extends to Technomate 9100 and Dreamboxes/clones.

I've looked at things a lot and the two sensible options just now seem to be the Technomate 9100 (and super) and good DM500 "compatible" boxes.

The thing that I haven't quite fathomed yet is whether I would use any of the extra features the Technomate has. More slots and things but I'm not sure I would ever use them. The reason I want all this gear, as I understand it, is so that I can get lots of channels without needing cards through the magic of keys and CS. Are they ever likely to come in that handy?

To further blur the picture both boxes are at very different ends of their lives. The Dreambox software is years old and has matured. The Technomate is young but already has a fast developing scene, it probably has potential far beyond. However, the one worry I would have about the Technomate is that I have heard the base image desperately needs updating. This is something that has been a long time coming and is still not here. With the new in thing being HD boxes is the 9100 in danger of being forgotten by the manufacturer?

Any advice that can help me sort this out would be gratefully received. To throw things in the air even more I've just realised I could stick a DVB-S card in a linux machine and use that, but is that ever going to be as neat and slick a solution over an off the shelf receiver?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Linux Receiver Considerations...

The problem as I see it m8 is that in the near future there is no 100% open source linux HD sat receivers on the horizon.

If you want a linux receiver at the moment then i would lean towards the 9100, however if HD is important to you then non linux receivers are out there that along with a TREX cam will get you virtually the same channels as the Teccy or DB along with available HD channels.

Also the Cam slot in the Teccy could come in handy with an official card at a later date and theres always the option of a hard drive PVR upgrade which the DM500 doesnt have.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Some good points there mate, thanks a lot.

I've never really read into Cams too much but am I right in thinking they basically do what you can do with a fully featured box but on basic boxes that just have the right slot?

I have to say after even more reading I am definitely swaying towards the TM9100. The fact it takes a full size HD is good and I think it will give me benefits beyond just being a sat box that I will actually use.

On the plus point for the TM9100 as well, it seems that the long awaited updated image from Technomate is coming at the weekend.
    Last edited by destro404; 4th December 2007 at 08:55 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes you are correct about the cam m8.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

how much is a system like this? sorry for the really ignorant question but i'd like to know this...has anyone got any links abotu this sorta thing that are quite short and concise?

Thanks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Have a look here for "ballpark figures" m8.

http://www.satonline.co.uk/shop/prod...?g1=6c269f&n=1
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just to say i've got a TM9100 and although yes,the base image out at present needs work on it there are some good modded images out there already.In my opinion for the price its the best bit of kit ive purchased in years.And im talking the old Monterey Chapparel days!!!!!
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by satzzz View Post
    Just to say i've got a TM9100 and although yes,the base image out at present needs work on it there are some good modded images out there already.In my opinion for the price its the best bit of kit ive purchased in years.And im talking the old Monterey Chapparel days!!!!!
    I bet lots of people have never heard of those American receivers much less the, was it Steve Chilvers ? modded units.
    I can just vaguely remember the old Cheyanne boxes.They were reduced considerably in price at the end.
    I cut my teeth on the old Skyscan systems.That is If memory is right about 20 years ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Coming back to this thread it definitely seems as if the TM9100 is the pick of the bunch for price, features and an enthusiastic scene. There are a few things that are still holding me back though.

Given the fact that many places use "multimedia" in their description of the TM9100 I generally expected it to be handy with different video formats. Turns out the CPU is generally a bit low on oomph and this is no match for something like xbmc. The one receiver that is accepted to have more power is the DM7020/7025. It doesn't justify the hefty price tag for me though.

I am now swaying very much toward building a DVB-S HTPC but the info is sparse. I can find plenty on MythTV and LinVDR from an advanced perspective but so far I have not found a noobs guide to give a quick idea of the possibilities and options. If anyone has this sort of info I would really appreciate it, otherwise i may just fuck it and buy a DVB-S card as I'm sure I have enough parts knocking around to make something to start with.

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be honest mate if you can afford it go for the Dreambox 7020 or 7025, but don't go near the TM9100 just yet. Its a capable receiver but it suffers hiddiously with problems like crashing and rebooting itself for no obvious reason

On the brightside though Technomate did release a new firmware image for it on 10th December 2007

The card slots can also be a complete pain in the ar$e to setup

It is getting better and hopefully soon a stable image will be released for it

With regardsto the 500 i can recommend the Eagle box Dreambox clone as i know a few people who have them and it seems to cope with most of the stuff thats chucked at it. Also as it used the 500s software its bang upto date and i can't see support dying out for at least the next five years

Landfill