Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Case Fan Recommendation?

I fitted a YS-Tech 80 mm fan as an inlet fan to the top of my Lian Li PC6085A at lunch where there used to be an exhaust fan fitted. Marvellous and the fucker drags through a lot of cool air dropping my RAM temperatures by about 10 degrees.

Marvellous thinks I but the cunting thing sounds like Concorde now.

Can anyone recommend a high speed fan that powers off a motherboard header but is a hell of a lot quieter? Looking at this but not really interested in it having lights on but need it to be as quiet as possible and ideally off ebay as I have some dosh lying around in my PayPal account.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Case Fan Recommendation?

I had one like this HERE

Did make a wee bit of noise but nothing to major.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJAd View Post
    I had one like this HERE

Did make a wee bit of noise but nothing to major.
    That's uncanny....

Thanks
    Karma Level

High speed does not equal quiet. I've never found an 80mm fan I've been happy with really except for when I replaced the tiny shitty one in my xbox with one. The only thing I am really ever happy with is 120mm fans. They can shift the same (or more) air at lower speeds. This, combined with the fact they are bigger creates less noise and, I find, a more bearable noise because the pitch is lower, rather than the high pitched noise you get with 80mm ones.

The other thing you could try, if the fan you already have really shifts some air, is to use a fan controller to turn it down a notch. From experience a very sligth drop in speed can give decent results on the noise front. If I remember right I have a silvery aluminium one that fits in a 3.5 inch drive bay. Cover the P&P and you can give it a try

Thanks
    Karma Level

Papst fans are supposed to be okay. The ebay description puts the fan @ 12db, but is probably closer to 20db.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Papst-8412-NGL...QQcmdZViewItem
    'Punctuality, regularity, discipline, industry, thoroughness, are a set of 'slave' virtues.' G. D. H. Cole

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by destro404 View Post
    The other thing you could try, if the fan you already have really shifts some air, is to use a fan controller to turn it down a notch. From experience a very sligth drop in speed can give decent results on the noise front. If I remember right I have a silvery aluminium one that fits in a 3.5 inch drive bay. Cover the P&P and you can give it a try
    Oooh. Sounds good mate. Let me know how much you need. )

Quote Originally Posted by pattikins View Post
    Papst fans are supposed to be okay. The ebay description puts the fan @ 12db, but is probably closer to 20db.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Papst-8412-NGL...QQcmdZViewItem

Arr I used to have a Papst fan sat round doing nowt but I sent it Gunner for his XBox.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    Oooh. Sounds good mate. Let me know how much you need. )
    PM name, address, cock measurements etc. I'll dig it out and post soon as I can. Will let you know how much postage is when I find out (shouldn't think a lot as it's not heavy).

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm offended you didn't ask me. However I've got over it and knocked up an idea for you. In keeping with my regular diy theme, it will cost you pretty much fa, and will be maybe a touch ott as well.

What you need is one of these. It doesn't have to be the Ross model, but I have been particularly impressed by the wind speed to noise level ratio of this particular device.

Spoiler:

I know, I know, this is a bit big for a pc, so fold a piece of paper like so

Spoiler:

Bear in mind this is only a very crude prototype, more just to show the conept rather than a working example. Anyway, get the previously folded piece of paper and add another sheet on top like so. You will notice you have basically created a rectangular funnel which accepts the air output of a big mother fucker fan, and channels it into the puny holes in your pc's backplate.

Spoiler:

Ok, I wasn't serious this time.... well maybe slightly. This mockery of my precision cabinet making skills is getting somewhere.....

If you inside many dell pc's you will see this kinda setup. There is a 12cm fan on the back plate with a hood over the processor to channel the air.

Spoiler:

Same PC with the hood opened

Spoiler:

I remember as a student, when I sometimes overclocked my pc's and wanted maximum cooling capability for minimal cost, I would make a similar hood out of carboard and use with a decent 12cm fan, and results would be noticeable and (just about) worthwhile.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 4th December 2007 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have read a fuckload of reviews and what have you now and went for a Coolink SWiF -

• The SWiF (short for "Silent Whisper Fan") series is a result of Coolink's long experience as an OEM supplier and continues the tradition of thoroughgoing fan quality that has convinced hundreds and thousands of users over the years. The high-precision double ball bearing ensures optimal, long-term stable quietness, making the transparent-blue SWiF fans a perfect synthesis of excellent silent-performance, exciting design and reliable quality.
    Specifications
    Fan size (edge to edge) 80 mm Manufacturer Coolink Model SWiF-801 Air volume at full speed (12V), CFM ±10% 21.1 Noise level at full speed (12V), dB(A) 11 Fan speed at full speed (12V), RPM ±10% 1500 Air volume at reduced speed (7.5V), CFM ±10% 12.8 Noise level at reduced speed (7.5V), dB(A) 9 Fan speed at reduced speed (7.5V), RPM ±10% 800 Power consumption, W 0.96 Weight, g 132 Approximate cable length, cm ±10% 30 Life expectancy @ 25°C continuous use 3 years Power connector 3-pin, 4-pin Bearing type 2-Ball Accessories PCI fan controller Mounting hardware included Screws Fan depth 25 mm Rated voltage 12 VDC