Close

Thread: Bloody wep!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Bloody wep!

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help. I bought a pinnacle soundbridge. Its purpose is to stream music from the internet and your pc (if you want) wirelessly.

It doesnt support WPA out of the box so had to downgrade my wireless network security to WEP for it to work. It then connected, and upgraded its firmware, twice. Supposedly this meant that it now supported WPA security.

I have a laptop that I was using in the meantime. When I downgraded the security to WEP I rebooted the laptop and it connected.

After the soundbridge updated itself I then changed the security (through the router) back to WPA.

It didnt work with the soundbridge. Apparently the router only supports WPA-...(something) while the soundbridge only supports basic WPA.

OK, so I rebooted the laptop again and it wouldnt connect to the network. Played around with the key etc. just various settings. Still wouldnt connect, I then returned the settings back to normal and thought I could live with WEP. So then I changed the security back to WEP and tried again.

Soundbridge connects fine and plays radio stations - cool.

Laptop still wont connect...?

It works with an ethernet cable (which is what im using now).

So the problem I have is this.

Im trying to connect to a WEP enabled wireless network. I have got it to a stage where I can connect to the network but the router wont allocate the laptop an IP address.

Any ideas? Not sure how to proceed from here...

TIA!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bloody wep!

are u using DHCP or static IP allocation?

doubt it would be any mac filtering if u didnt previously have it enabled.. but check anyway.

what happens if you reboot the router, without the soundbridge off, then attempt to connect on the laptop?

does it give you any specific errors or information other than the usual limited or no connectivity bollox?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bloody wep!

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post
    are u using DHCP or static IP allocation?
    dhcp

doubt it would be any mac filtering if u didnt previously have it enabled.. but check anyway.
    No its off.

what happens if you reboot the router, without the soundbridge off, then attempt to connect on the laptop?
    Same thing. This is what ive been trying actually. Lost count on how many times the laptop and router were rebooted. Reset the router completely (back to default settings) as well as rebooting a couple of times just in case I had messed up a setting. Its a BeBox, when I got it I didnt need to set anything up except for a password for the admin user.

does it give you any specific errors or information other than the usual limited or no connectivity bollox?
    Just the usual bollox im afraid. Do you know if there would be any logs anywhere I could look at?

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated matey.