Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Giant tulip may protect Netherlands

<!-- Split page --> <!-- Lead Content Panel --> THE Netherlands wants to redraw the map of Europe - literally.
    Dubai has built Palm Island. Now the world leaders in land reclamation are considering an island in the shape of a tulip to fight overcrowding and shield the coastline from the rising sea.

Supporters of the scheme say it will give Dutch companies a chance to showcase water management skills that are increasingly in demand due to global warming, but critics say the plan will be prohibitively expensive and harm delicate ecosystems.

While a poll in October by research company TNS NIPO with the Red Cross showed the Dutch are more afraid of flooding than a terrorist attack, many have a strong faith in Dutch expertise and technology to protect them from the water.

The Dutch parliament has asked a commission on coastal development to look into the idea of building islands in the North Sea that could be used for housing, farming or a nature reserve, while at the same time helping to protect the coast.

"People live on top of each other in the Netherlands," said Christian Democrat politician Joop Atsma, who sponsored a parliamentary motion on building in the North Sea.
    "We are hungry for land. A huge area is needed for building."

Mr Atsma said high land prices threatened the country's position as the world's third biggest exporter of agricultural products, and made a 100,000 ha island potentially worth €10 billion ($16.7bn) - enough of a return to fund the project.

A government body set up to promote innovation has drawn up proposals for an island about 50km long, sparking fierce debate which inspired one blogger to joke that a cannabis leaf may be a more suitable shape than the tulip on the formal plans.
    Independent environmental group the North Sea Foundation said an artificial island could disrupt shipping, fishing and migrating birds.

"The North Sea is not a wasteland where you can do whatever you want. Especially the coastal zone is one of the most fertile seas in the world. An island would do a lot of damage to the animal life," said the foundation's Lisa van der Veen.
    Given rising sea levels, Ms Van der Veen said it made more sense to protect existing land than build a new island.
    "If you build houses on it you would have to build it really high to protect it from storms and waves. Building an island is a huge investment and you could much easier fortify the dikes."

Share this article <small>What is this?</small>

<!-- END Lead Content Panel --><!-- Sub Lead Content Panel --><!-- Image Caption ("image-lead") --> Maybe a giant cannabis leaf instead? ... the Dutch are considering an island in the shape of a tulip to fight overcrowding and shield the coastline from the rising sea / Reuters / Reuters

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...005961,00.html

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Giant tulip may protect Netherlands

"Those crazy Dutch bastards!"
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington