Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Dutch police complain it is their right to smoke cannabis while off-duty

Dutch police complain it is their right to smoke cannabis while off-duty
    Last updated at 21:32pm on 14th December 2007

Comments

Banned: But Dutch police complain the ban against cannabis overrules their personal freedoms
    Police in Amsterdam are complaining over new rules banning them from smoking cannabis while off duty.

Officers in the Dutch capital, famous for its liberal drugs laws, have been told they must set the public "a good moral example".

The ban, due to come into effect on January 1, will make the force the first in the Netherlands to bar officers from using drugs when not at work.

Frank Gittay, the city's police council chairman, said: "Until now police were only banned from showing up for work stoned or drunk.

"But now we are telling officers they should also behave like the police at all times.

"That means not taking drugs and not getting excessively drunk whether on or off duty."

But Dutch police union chairman Hans van Duijn said: "Many of our members are opposed to this.

"They are not paid for 24-hours a day. What they do in their free time is up to them."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...11&ito=newsnow
    Dont drink and drive smoke grass and fly

[URL]http://www.dylanstrust.org.uk/[/URL]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Dutch police complain it is their right to smoke cannabis while off-duty

Frank Gittay, the city's police council chairman, said: "Until now police were only banned from showing up for work stoned or drunk.
    lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Dutch police complain it is their right to smoke cannabis while off-duty

Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    "They are not paid for 24-hours a day. What they do in their free time is up to them."
    Spot on, but problem is how do you define how much you can have in you before you are classified as stoned.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by carlover View Post
    Spot on, but problem is how do you define how much you can have in you before you are classified as stoned.
    C'mon mate, that's not really a problem!

A simple solution - smoke before your period of sleep, not with your cup of coffee before you start work!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! can't they just leave shit alone.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gantybop View Post
    A simple solution - smoke before your period of sleep, not with your cup of coffee before you start work!
    Yeah right, it's just common sense.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    "That means not taking drugs and not getting excessively drunk whether on or off duty."
    So drunk, not excessively, thats all right then!

Oooo that would be VERY nice right now.

I guess this depends if it is soon to be tested as well.

Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Actually, I can understand the police getting a little upset because pot isn't illegal over there... so why shouldn't they use it?

It would be like telling the police in the UK that they were not allowed to drink off duty just in case they came into work pissed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thing is, I know most times I go out for a drink, I would still be over the drink drive limit when I wake up next day, but thing is I know I still feel groggy. Problem with cannabis, tolerance levels can build up massively, so what would make one person whitey (reach the point where you feel sick) might not even give another person any noticeable effects whatsoever.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    Actually, I can understand the police getting a little upset because pot isn't illegal over there... so why shouldn't they use it?

It would be like telling the police in the UK that they were not allowed to drink off duty just in case they came into work pissed.
    Agreed. Fucking nanny state bollocks hitting home again. Really gets my goat.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by carlover View Post
    Thing is, I know most times I go out for a drink, I would still be over the drink drive limit when I wake up next day, but thing is I know I still feel groggy. Problem with cannabis, tolerance levels can build up massively, so what would make one person whitey (reach the point where you feel sick) might not even give another person any noticeable effects whatsoever.
    Tolerance is what it is, but it still doesn't derive from the point - don't turn up for work in any state other than sober

I'm sure most of us have had a skinful and then drove to work the morning after etc... at one point or another, but how many of us are police officers? lol

This is a very interesting and valid point. It's almost as if the Dutch authorities are saying "don't smoke when off duty because it's wrong". If they perceive it as wrong how long 'til it's outlawed?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If they perceive it as wrong how long 'til it's outlawed?
    I hope not for a long time. I love the Dam and I love my green.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Actually, after thinking about it. The very act of getting up, getting into the Police uniform and being arsed enough to go to work is in itself a very good indicator that you are not still stoned!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Actually, after thinking about it. The very act of getting up, getting into the Police uniform and being arsed enough to go to work is in itself a very good indicator that you are not still stoned!
    Good point well made!

Q