Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Is it just me that's a tightwad?

My wife & 6 yr old daughter have just returned from so called "Shopping in the sales".

Me little girl took £50 cash with her that she had received for Xmas.

I asked her if she bought anything with her money to which she tells me she had spent it all. I asked her to show me what she had bought and she shows a teddy bear.

Thats it. One fukkin teddy bear.

I starts quizzing the wife how the fuck she managed to spend £50 on a teddy bear and she says. She got 2 outfits for the bear as well.

Oh, that make it all bloody right then. 2 outfits. Why didn't you say so sooner. I can dress myself for a year at George of Asda for £50 I tells her (I do not shop at George that was added to get my disbelief across).

Wife goes on to say "But it's magical for the kids". Aye. It's magic how they made that £50 vanish so quickly.

It was from a place called "Build-A-Bear". And whilst it is a very pretty bear. I still can't get my head around a) it costing £50 and b) The wife allowing her to spend that much on it. Had I gone she would almost certainly have returned with a Nunchuck and Wiimote.

Am I a miserable old tightwad who needs to "get with the times" or was that a bit much for a bear?

Edit: ffs it gets worse. My lad wants go to tommorrow to spend his £50 xmas money on one also. I'll not sleep tonight.
    Last edited by tips; 27th December 2007 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Is it just me that's a tightwad?

Think thats about the norm for one of those mate, Got my littlun one in NYC last year and that was $60 with an outfit............ They are a bit of a con because you pick all the bits you want and then go to their little computers and print out a birth certificate for it and they put it in a box........... They also put a little plastic heart in it so the child thinks its extra special............... It is a load of shite but if it keeps em happy who am i to argue!!

PS: Our one is called Super Toad

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

I find myself asking the question "Two teddy bears or one Nintendo DS???" I know which I go for everytime.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tips View Post
    I find myself asking the question "Two teddy bears or one Nintendo DS???" I know which I go for everytime.
    I take it your gaff is full of teddy bears then!?

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are a few, but if I get my way this will be the only one that we pay £50 for.

(funnily enough the wife has a teddy bear in the loft that belonged to her gran as a child. Her gran died about 5 years ago aged 99. So the bear has got to be close on 100 years old. I reckon it could be worth something if it hadn't got alopecia somewere along the way)

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol I think you should be more worried that your lad wants a bear rather than some cap guns Depends how old he is though

Well I think £50 for a wiimote and nunchuk is a rip off too let alone for a fecking bear. Must be a big one, I have been there before when my girl mate was getting one for someone and she had to hold the heart and say some shit before they sew it in the bear. They must make a mint there as it has been expanding into towns fast, used to just be in lakeside in my area.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah they do seem to be cropping up everywhere!!

We all had to give the heart a kiss before she would sew it in Super Toad, i kissed it and so did the Mrs and then she gave it to the boy to kiss and he stuck the whole thing in and tried to eat it!!!

He does love it now though, Its the only think he will have in his cot at night............ Not saying its cos its 50 notes worth of bear mind!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im totally with you on this one tips, there is no fucking way I would let my kids spend £50 on a bloody teddy bear, utter waste of money that is!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheapskate ! My missus collects Steif bears, they start at 160 sobs each !
    "Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Karma Level

My sister is nuts on the place. she bought a rabbit a few years ago and it now has a wardrobe bigger than mine. It is currently dressed as a christmas fairy/angel.

My mum also bought one and my Gran. The bears are good but... what ever.

we have some £3 and £5 off £15 and £25 spend cards here I would offer them on here but they expire on the 31st December

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

very steep for a teddybear, although the wifey is probably thinking fuck it is xmas if they wanna spend it on a teddy and outfit let em.
    i can see where your coming from though matey tad expensive

Thanks
    Karma Level

Someone bought my 3 week old daughter a Stieff bear for Christmas.... wtf? Why didn't they just give her a rolled up ball of paper and spend the rest of the cash on a brewery for me?
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

I suppose we have more value of money, i doubt its something that will get thrown away.....even if it sits on their shelf for years and they designed it.
    Last edited by lagigolo; 27th December 2007 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
    Cheapskate ! My missus collects Steif bears, they start at 160 sobs each !
    Thing is though that steif bear is always gonna be worth XXX amount of money. I don't think these will. Dead money as far as I see it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Steif is German for stiff , so do these bears have lob ons ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

They look wank on their website but found this for you hand held kiddies -

The Game Factory has just announced it'll be publishing Build-a-Bear Workshop and Bratz Ponyz 2 in the UK in 2008.

Build-a-Bear Workshop is probably the most intriguing of the two, mainly because it sounds like you'll be buying a playable advertisement for the chain of shops. What should we expect further down the line? Asda: Supermarket Trolley Wars and Next: Look-Like-Everyone-Else-Does Fashion Designer?

Outrageous cash-in credentials aside, Build-a-Bear Workshop sounds like the sort of game we might enjoy if we were seven years old again. Players can design their own teddy, buy it clothes and accessories (from a choice of over 100 outfits) and play four different mini-games. Like any game of this type worth its weight in plastic and chipboards, you're also able to trade items and play games with other players wirelessly, as well as interact with your bear using the touchscreen and DS microphone.

The game is due for release in March 2008. Meanwhile, Bratz Ponyz 2, a sequel that sounds quite similar to the original game, is scheduled for a summer 2008 release. Get your parents to get those pre-orders in now, people.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Certain branches of Woolworths have got these 'Build a Bear' areas in them too now. It's exactly the same set up: Bear, outfit, heart, birth certificate and a voice box for the princely sum of £19.99. Not exactly cheap but a hell of a lot better than the £50 sheets the official shops charge, so if any DF'ers fancy treating the mrs, check your local Woolies first

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats fuckin ludicrous, £50 for a teddy that does fuck all but get covered in slava and food.

An interactive doll that someone has put countless hours into developing then fair enough, but a lump of fuckin cloth that a sweatshop put together is fuckin crazy.
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Could be worse. A good mate of mine left an enormous teddy bear with some candles and champagne outside the house of his ex, she called the coppers saying he was stalking her

Thanks
    Karma Level

I spent £20 on 36 donuts in krispy kreme the other day, thats obscene, £50 at xmas on something that makes your 6 year old princess happy sounds worth every penny to me, bet weve all spent way more on shit nights out and shit gadgets that got little use.
    Last edited by MadManc:2007; 28th December 2007 at 12:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks