Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Sony Digital SLR a100

seen this in the shops today for £329.99 Complete with 18-70mm zoom lens could anyone advise as to wether this is worth getting or would i be better off getting the canon 400d for around the £420 mark. Which is better Thanx

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sony Digital SLR a100

No doubt plenty of canon users will fill this thread with 'go for the canon mate' but I weighed up all the options when buying my DSLR and chose the A100.
    The main thing that put me off the 400D was the fact the stock lens is rubbish and find one a replacement worthwhile seemed to cost at least £200, making it a rather expensive toe dip into the DSLR market for me. The stock lens for the Sony isn't amazing by any means, but it doesn't get the negative press the Canon one does.

If you read reviews online, I'm sure you'll find the sony comes very highly recommended.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    No doubt plenty of canon users will fill this thread with 'go for the canon mate' but I weighed up all the options when buying my DSLR and chose the A100.
    The main thing that put me off the 400D was the fact the stock lens is rubbish and find one a replacement worthwhile seemed to cost at least £200, making it a rather expensive toe dip into the DSLR market for me. The stock lens for the Sony isn't amazing by any means, but it doesn't get the negative press the Canon one does.

If you read reviews online, I'm sure you'll find the sony comes very highly recommended.
    It says it was £499 is that the normal selling price?

Thanks
    Karma Level

the A100 can be bought for about 400 quid if you shop around online, i think its 500 in the highstreet, slightly more than a 400D, but then...its a better camera (ducks in anticipation).

If you have no lenses already mate (ie canon ones) I cant see any reason to not grab the sony, at 325 its a great price. I paid 500 for mine which was second hand with an additional lens n a few filters etc.

At the end of the day, any of the current entry level DSLRs will basically perform the same, but as i said the stock lens put me off the 350/400D and the lack of auto focus put me off the Nikon D40X. The sony also had better dust reduction technology as well as better antishake (in both the camera and ANY lens you fit) which you dont get on either of the competitors.

The canon and nikon do have a better range of lenses, but theres no shortage of decent ones on the Sony range either, with the old minolta 70-210mm 'beercan' lens especially as it pretty much pees on anything nikon or canon offer under 300quid and can be bought on ebay well under a ton.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    the A100 can be bought for about 400 quid if you shop around online, i think its 500 in the highstreet, slightly more than a 400D, but then...its a better camera (ducks in anticipation).

If you have no lenses already mate (ie canon ones) I cant see any reason to not grab the sony, at 325 its a great price. I paid 500 for mine which was second hand with an additional lens n a few filters etc.

At the end of the day, any of the current entry level DSLRs will basically perform the same, but as i said the stock lens put me off the 350/400D and the lack of auto focus put me off the Nikon D40X. The sony also had better dust reduction technology as well as better antishake (in both the camera and ANY lens you fit) which you dont get on either of the competitors.

The canon and nikon do have a better range of lenses, but theres no shortage of decent ones on the Sony range either, with the old minolta 70-210mm 'beercan' lens especially as it pretty much pees on anything nikon or canon offer under 300quid and can be bought on ebay well under a ton.
    cheers bud!