Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Tier's of PL football clubs

In light of my post in the Big Sam sacking thread I thought it might be fun to grade the sides of the Premier League. Obviously nobody will agree, but here is what I think.

Tier 1 (Always in with a shout, CL at Worst)
    United
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Chelsea (until Roman fuck's off)

Tier 2 (Should be pushing for European football at least)
    Everton
    Spurs
    Villa
    City
    Newcastle

Tier 3 (Potential to make Europe, stay in touch)
    West Ham
    Blackburn

Tier 4 (Overachievers and it could go tits up easily)
    Reading
    Portsmouth
    Bolton
    Boro
    Birmingham
    Wigan
    Fulham
    Sunderland

Tier 5 (You're having a laugh)
    Derby

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tier's of PL football clubs

Newscastle in tier 2 tut.. i reckon tier 2 and 3 should be combined to make tier 2.. and portsmouth should be in there also

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Immediatly i would swap Blackburn with Newcastle, and put Man City in the Tier 1...They have been in the top 4 this season for longer than Liverpool have

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its interesting indeed. Are Chelsea even a proper tier 1 side? I'm not convinced, I have to say. Obviously Liverpool (19 league wins), United (16), Arsenal (13) are the true top tier, but can Chelsea with their nothing for 50 years then a couple of titles really consider themselves true tier 1 yet? Could Chelsea fill out 75,000 people against (pick random team sorry if it offends anyone) Bolton on a cold January afternoon? Could they fuck. Could the other three? Damn right. For me Chelsea are in a tier of their own at the moment, and maybe Citeh will be joining them with Frank Sinatra's money. Its kind of like Tier 1 (new) and Tier 1 (traditional).

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree BBK, they are only Tier1 at the moment because they will be annoying us for a few more year. But they are, imo, a small club with money.

eggon - Just cause City are having a good year, does not mean they can be a tier 1 club, wasn't that long ago they were playing League One football. It will be interesting to see where they will be in a few seasons time.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Its interesting indeed. Are Chelsea even a proper tier 1 side? I'm not convinced, I have to say. Obviously Liverpool (19 league wins), United (16), Arsenal (13) are the true top tier, but can Chelsea with their nothing for 50 years then a couple of titles really consider themselves true tier 1 yet? Could Chelsea fill out 75,000 people against (pick random team sorry if it offends anyone) Bolton on a cold January afternoon? Could they fcuk. Could the other three? Damn right. For me Chelsea are in a tier of their own at the moment, and maybe Citeh will be joining them with Frank Sinatra's money. Its kind of like Tier 1 (new) and Tier 1 (traditional).
    The capacity of Anfield is: 45,400

On Monday 1st January 2007 they played Bolton at home, winning 3-0. Attendance for that match was: 41,370

So there goes that stat

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/fixt...boltonhome.htm

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think BBK meant that Chelsea will never get those numbers. The fact that Liverpool (well he used United) do is kinda of the point he was making as far as I could see.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ronanb View Post
    I think BBK meant that Chelsea will never get those numbers. The fact that Liverpool (well he used United) do is kinda of the point he was making as far as I could see.

But, they are a london club, competing a hell of alot harder for regular fans.

I think Chelsea deserve to be there, and will continue to sign top class players, just as Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool do, even when the russian has gone.
    Cut me open and I Bleed Red :mellow:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Interesting.

I'd agree with the original poster, pretty much right to me but maybe for selfish reasons would put west ham in the over-achievers tier. They should have been relegated last season really but for a miraculous set of late results.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd only have 2 tiers.

Number 1 as you stated, number 2 the rest.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by eggon View Post

On Monday 1st January 2007 they played Bolton at home, winning 3-0. Attendance for that match was: 41,370

So there goes that stat

There are lots of Virus's about and it has been the case for a lot of matches over Christmas (not just Liverpool and Bolton supporters)

Look at average attendance over a season compared to capacity (only fair way to judge )

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedred View Post
    But, they are a london club, competing a hell of alot harder for regular fans.

I think Chelsea deserve to be there, and will continue to sign top class players, just as Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool do, even when the russian has gone.
    they reckon the commuting population is somewhere around 12 million people into London, which effectively is the catchment area for Chelsea and the other London clubs. Chelsea have enormous appeal in suburban Surrey - there are no professional clubs there (no Palace fans, you are in London) and there is enormous wealth. You go into the local sports shops now down here and the first shirts you see are Chelsea and Arsenal, then United - 10 years ago it was United, and United only. And dont forget, for all these Surrey fans, getting to Stamford Bridge is easy - train to Wimbledon, change to the tube, get off at Parsons Green. In theory, the catchment area is every bit as big for Chelsea as it is for the northern clubs - take United - you have City, Wigan, Bolton - even Liverpool and Everton to some extent, all within a very close radius, and a lot less population to contend with.

No Chelsea are not, and will never be IMO, a proper big club until they have a sustainable wealth, which they cannot, simply cannot, have until they have a fanbase that can support a non-Abramovic era, and I cannot see that. When Roman does go, unless they get another mega-rich investor with his ideals, they will fall away into the 2nd tier (or lower) within 5 years, a la Blackburn and Leeds.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by LFC Muppet View Post
    There are lots of Virus's about and it has been the case for a lot of matches over Christmas (not just Liverpool and Bolton supporters)

Look at average attendance over a season compared to capacity (only fair way to judge )
    I agree, I just gave the figures for the date that BBK asked for.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

they reckon the commuting population is somewhere around 12 million people into London, which effectively is the catchment area for Chelsea and the other London clubs. Chelsea have enormous appeal in suburban Surrey - there are no professional clubs there (no Palace fans, you are in London) and there is enormous wealth. You go into the local sports shops now down here and the first shirts you see are Chelsea and Arsenal, then United - 10 years ago it was United, and United only. And dont forget, for all these Surrey fans, getting to Stamford Bridge is easy - train to Wimbledon, change to the tube, get off at Parsons Green. In theory, the catchment area is every bit as big for Chelsea as it is for the northern clubs - take United - you have City, Wigan, Bolton - even Liverpool and Everton to some extent, all within a very close radius, and a lot less population to contend with.

No Chelsea are not, and will never be IMO, a proper big club until they have a sustainable wealth, which they cannot, simply cannot, have until they have a fanbase that can support a non-Abramovic era, and I cannot see that. When Roman does go, unless they get another mega-rich investor with his ideals, they will fall away into the 2nd tier (or lower) within 5 years, a la Blackburn and Leeds.
    By fanbase are we talking about Global or just local? I didnt realise that chelsea had problems selling out their ground. Surely if they increased the capacity then they would be able to fill it??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats because a lot of people in London support Man Utd.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by eggon View Post

So there goes that stat

Cant really judge it like that. Alot of stadiums sell out but very rarley is every seat occupied. Touts, season ticket holders not showing, away fans not filling out there allocation etc etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by -G-Man- View Post
    Cant really judge it like that. Alot of stadiums sell out but very rarley is every seat occupied. Touts, season ticket holders not showing, away fans not filling out there allocation etc etc.

Similar sort of thing as I said above just u have explained a little better.

u got raped last night, but its a sign of a good team when you get raped and still don't lose.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ouch

Thanks
    Karma Level

You know gav, the interesting thing is that down here, amongst my age group you will find far more Liverpool fans than United, because during those years when these choices are made, or the passions begin, however it starts, Liverpool were obviously the most succesful side during the late 70's and right through the 80's. Of course, things changed during the 90's, but nowadays, with the strength of Arsenal and Chelsea, things to seem to be regaining a sensible balance.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ronanb View Post
    Ouch
    oh and you two - Liverpool fan from Newcastle and a United fan from Dublin - don't either of you DARE have a go at me for supporting United !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast