Champion boxer Amir Khan has said he hopes his new gym in Greater Manchester will encourage more youngsters to take up the sport.
The 21-year-old has put £700,000 of his own money into the Gloves gym and community centre in Bolton to provide young people with access to boxing.

It will also promote Network Rail's No Messin' campaign which highlights the dangers of playing on tracks.

Khan said they wanted to "get the kids off the streets and the railways".

'Throwing stones'

The Commonwealth lightweight champion said: "Not many people realise how dangerous it is on railways, boxing teaches you discipline, and what we want to do is get the kids off the streets and the railways.

"I think this boxing club will make a difference."

Martin Gallagher, from Network Rail which has part sponsored the gym, said: "In a stretch of track leading out of north Manchester we have had over 100 incidents mostly involving young people.

"There's been trespassing, vandalism, throwing stones, graffiti."

When Khan was asked about his recent speeding convictions and whether he believed he was a good role model, he said: "I think I am good role model. People make mistakes. I am sorry for what happened."

The 21-year-old boxer was recently fined £1,000 and banned from driving for 42 days after a court heard evidence he was driving at speeds of up to 140mph

In October he was banned for six months after injuring a man when he sped through a red light.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/7180484.stm