Kevin Keegan believes that Alan Shearer will one day become Newcastle manager.
Shearer, 37, was tipped to take over the reins at St James' Park before Keegan's return and has since been in discussions to join his backroom staff.

There remain doubts as to whether the former Magpies striker will join as number two, but Keegan insists that Shearer will eventually be in charge.

"Alan Shearer is going to manage this football club one day, that's for sure," he said.

"It's the same as when I left here," added Keegan.

"I knew I would come back as manager if I wanted to. He'll get that opportunity.

"That's what I said to Alan when I spoke to him ages ago. I said 'Don't worry Alan, go an play some golf, spend some time with the kids. I went to Marbella for seven or eight years but it will come back to you one day and will be yours for the taking'."

Shearer admitted to speaking to the new Newcastle boss about a possible role at the club and will hold more talks with Keegan when he returns from a visit to Uganda for BBC Sport Relief.

"We didn't get into specific roles but I'll sit down with him at the end of the week and we'll discuss it and see what's best for everyone," said Shearer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ed/7199616.stm