Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Britons' ID cards 'to be delayed'

Britons' ID cards 'to be delayed'

Identity cards are opposed by the Tories and Lib Dems

Plans for a large scale rollout of ID cards to British nationals appear to have been delayed for two years - beyond the next general election.
    The government had planned to start issuing "significant volumes" of ID cards alongside passports from 2010.
    But leaked Home Office documents leaked suggest that it has now been put back to 2012. The Conservatives say the plan is "in the intensive care ward".
    The government said it always planned to introduce the cards "incrementally".
    While foreign nationals are due to start getting ID cards this year, the timetable for UK citizens over 16 has already slipped and the first ones are not expected to start being issued until next year.
    Compulsory cards
    From January 2010 everyone getting a passport will have to get an identity card as well, according to existing plans drawn up in 2006.
    When he was prime minister, Tony Blair said that legislation to make it compulsory for all Britons to get an ID card - not just those getting a passport - would form a "major plank" of Labour's next election manifesto.
    I think the reality is just beginning to bite ministers on this

Damian Green
    Shadow immigration minister

But the scheme has met fierce criticism from the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats on cost, effectiveness and civil liberties grounds.
    Home Office documents, drawn up in December and leaked to the Conservatives this week, set out an illustrated timeline for introducing biometric ID cards.
    It includes the "Borders Phase I" introduction of ID cards for foreign nationals, which will begin later this year.
    'Classic fiasco'
    Then it indicates that people in positions of trust - like security guards - will be issued with cards in 2009.
    But the "Borders Phase II" wider roll-out to all UK citizens will not begin until 2012, the document says.
    It seems to me we are shaping up for another absolutely classic government IT fiasco

Chris Huhne
    Lib Dems

Shadow immigration minister Damian Green told the BBC: "It's clear that there are enormous practical difficulties in putting 50 different pieces of personal information including addresses of 60 million British citizens plus lots of foreigners into a single database."
    "I think the reality is just beginning to bite ministers on this, so this delay is the first sign of reality intruding, let's hope there are more to come."
    Forgery risk
    And Lib Dem home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne told the BBC: "It seems to me we are shaping up for another absolutely classic government IT fiasco.
    "If Gordon Brown actually had the courage of his convictions and stopped dithering and delaying for a moment he would recognise what he began to recognise last week in his ambivalence towards this scheme and scrap it now."
    We always said this would be by increment... and that's what the strategy said in 2006, and that's what this reflects

Tony McNulty
    Home Office minister

ID cards have also come under fire from experts, including Professor John Salt, of University College, London, who has advised the government on migration trends.
    Asked by a House of Lords Committee on Tuesday if ID cards would help curb illegal immigration, Professor Salt said: "No, if they are capable of being forged - and that is probably likely to happen."
    Fresh questions about the identity card scheme have been raised by the loss in recent months by government of data held on CDs and laptops relating to millions of people.
    Home Office minister Tony McNulty told the BBC on Wednesday that he would not comment on leaked documents but "the identity card strategy remains in place".
    Mr McNulty said: "This year ID cards will be rolled out for foreign nationals with visas, by 2009 we will start rolling them out with the 'second generation' - the biometric passports - and that's as was in the schedule in 2006 and remains the case."
    "We always said this would be by increment... and that's what the strategy said in 2006, and that's what this reflects." There have been reports that Gordon Brown had cooled on the idea of compulsory ID cards for UK citizens, saying it was only an "option" that would be the subject of a Parliamentary vote.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7203740.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Britons' ID cards 'to be delayed'

Good. ID cards offend my sensibilities.

Thanks
    Karma Level

waste of money imo

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

think there a good idea up to a certain point
    picture it
    you have a 16 / 17 year old daughter tring to get into a nightclub ( girls now look older than they are)
    bouncer asks for id card . there id card states dob
    so no entry. father can then sleep at night
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadleo View Post
    think there a good idea up to a certain point
    picture it
    you have a 16 / 17 year old daughter tring to get into a nightclub ( girls now look older than they are)
    bouncer asks for id card . there id card states dob
    so no entry. father can then sleep at night
    My passport, driving license and PASS ID all have my DOB on, no need for something else. Any decent doorman will ID anyone when he has even the slightest inkling that someone may not be of age then ID will be asked for. No ID, no entry. Simple as.

No reason whatsoever for these ID cards, they are a waste of money, wallet space and at the end of the day, fuckin' useless.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

but not all girls carry them about !!!
    i said only agree to a certain point
    as for any decent door man
    you go to nearly any club in the uk on friday / saturday night, there will be at least one or two under 18s
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadleo View Post
    but not all girls carry them about !!!
    i said only agree to a certain point
    as for any decent door man
    you go to nearly any club in the uk on friday / saturday night, there will be at least one or two under 18s
    If they don't carry them don't get in, this is something that is very black and white.

I know there are, I generally use one of the shitholes here and it is full of 15-16 year olds. But end of the day there shouldn't be, and a doorman is only going to ask for ID from the same people, so the same under 18's will still get in.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

dont think it will ever stop just try to cut it down a bit to save a few pregnacys or lifes :S
     Big-Bad-Leo 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ID cards are just another nail in the coffin, we're tracked everywhere on camera and carry shitloads of I.D. already, complete waste of resources and a further crimp in our civil liberty!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

What a shame

Thanks
    Karma Level

ID cards have been in use here for amost 50 years so are pretty much part and parcel of normal society. I have one myself and all it is, is another peice of plastic in my wallet. I don't suddenly feel violated or that big brother is watching. On a day to day basis your ID card wont ever be needed.

The only time you'll ever get asked for ID here is when you're opening a bank account, getting insurance, phone contract, broadband, etc. Basically it's the government's and various businesses' way of confirming who you are thus preventing fraud. It's a quick and easy system for all concerned.

I know I'd rather lose my ID card than my passport! It only costs €8.50 to renew/replace it but as always I can see the UK Gov ripping the fuck out of people to replace their own card.

Oh, and did you know that you can travel anywhere in the EU using your ID card?

I'm not really for or against an ID card in the UK, all I'm saying is that some of the reactions I've seen from the 'against' camp or completely foundless and untrue.

Also, if you're a normal, law abiding, tax payer then why should this worry you?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This Country WILL be the exception and take the piss, even if they don't they'll give all the info to the nearest career criminal!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .