Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Dropped David Beckham snubs charity dinner

David Beckham wasn’t the only one left disappointed last night after he was dropped from the England football squad.

Organisers and several hundred guests at a charity dinner in aid of cystic fibrosis were let down by the star when he pulled out as host at the last minute, hours after learning that he would not be included in the squad.

The Times understands that Beckham pulled out of the “Liv” event, expected to raise more than £1 million, less than two hours before it began. Organisers were given no explanation and he was replaced by Davina McCall, the television presenter.

Many of the celebrity guests, including fellow football star Peter Crouch, were left bemused by his no-show at the Dorchester in London.

The Liverpool player, who is included in the squad, told The Times: “I’ve no idea why he’s not here. It’s the first I’ve heard of it. It’s a bit disappointing. Of course I’d have liked to see him.” Emmanuel Adebayor, the Arsenal striker, said: “We have a chance to do something good to help these people. I’m sad that Beckham is not here.”

Beckham agreed to host the event after Thierry Henry, the Barcelona and ex-Arsenal player, dropped out. Fixture changes had left Henry – whose friend’s daughter suffers from cystic fibrosis – stranded in Spain.

Beckham dropped out hours after learning that he would not be in the England squad for next Wednesday’s friendly against Switzerland, where he would have earned his 100th cap.

Beckham’s camp claimed that he had been called back for preseason training by LA Galaxy, his American team, once the club knew of his omission from the England squad.

Organiser Darren Dein, son of former Arsenal Chairman, David Dein, said: “It’s true that Beckham’s not turning up. No, we don’t know why. How did you get in here anyway?”

Simon Olivera, his agent, said: “David asked whether he could delay and come back on Monday, but they said no, you have to come back as soon as possible.

“He needs to be back for fitness tests this afternoon, he also needs to see the kids and his wife. He is very disappointed not being able to front this. His commitment to charity is something he is incredibly proud of and when he can’t do something it’s a big disappointment. But when the club says you need to get back you have to get back.”

Guests at the charity event, which was also attended by Gordon Brown and his wife Sarah, whose 18-month-old son Fraser has cystic fibrosis, had paid £1,250 for their tickets. Angela Georgiou, an interior designer and Linda Ashley, a property developer, were at the head of the queue to get in.“We didn’t know about David not hosting,” Ms Georgiou said. “I was disappointed enough when Thierry dropped out because I’m a huge Barcelona fan.” Ms Ashley added: “I just hope that the replacement isn’t Kevin Keegan.” Sir Elton John performed at the event.

Guests took part in a silent auction to raise money for fighting the chronic disease. Jimmy Carr and Lucas were booked to entertain those attending the event, who included a young girl called Jessica who suffers from the disease.

Cystic fibrosis seriously affects the lungs and digestive system and can be life-threatening. It affects more than 200 babies each year in the UK.

Henry said he hoped the Liv event would raise more than £1 million for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. He flew over to organise the event yesterday, but had to return to Spain by the afternoon. Last week he told The Sun: “I would love to have been there, but I have a great substitute.”
    Source : http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3285965.ece
    You Failed To Maintain Your Weapon

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Dropped David Beckham snubs charity dinner

sounds a bit like he got a strop on.

Nice to see crouchie turned up though and Lucas although i didn't know he was also an entertainer in the same vein as jimmy carr but good on him anyway always good to have a second profession to fall back on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

he was replaced by Davina McCall, the television presenter
    Wow, I bet that made them feel so special!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Emmanuel Adebayor, the Arsenal striker, said: “We have a chance to do something good to help these people. I’m sad that Beckham is not here.”

Like you really give a feck.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Beckham was probably getting another 5hit tattoo to add to his collection.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds like he got his missus knickers in a twist.

I liked that quote "How did you get in here anyway?”
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Henry must be pissed! it was for his best mates lil girl who had the condition. He called beckham to step in as henry had a fixture change for baca!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice attitude Dave, keep it up son.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

David oh david.. you will be in the sqaud dont threat.. !!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fucking hell. Who ever gave the green light for Jimmy Carr to "entertain" at a cystic fibrosis gig is either a sarnie short of a picnic or has a wicked sense of humour!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hang on a second..

If we are having a pop at Beck's then Henry should be given the same treatment....

If the club call him back he has no choice.

If it was Fergie at Utd or Wenger or Benitez then I doubt anything would be said.....

It's his clubs fault, I can't remember a time that either of the Beckham's turned their backs on any charity
    Cut me open and I Bleed Red :mellow: