Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Archbishop defends Sharia remarks

Archbishop defends Sharia remarks

Dr Rowan Williams is facing calls for his resignation

The Archbishop of Canterbury has defended his comments on Sharia law, following widespread criticism.
    A statement on his website said that he "certainly did not call for its introduction as some kind of parallel jurisdiction to the civil law".
    However, at least two General Synod members have called for Dr Rowan Williams to resign following the row.
    Colonel Edward Armitstead told the Daily Telegraph: "I don't think he is the man for the job."
    Dr Williams had called for parts of Sharia law to be recognised in the UK, and he is said to be in a state of shock and dismayed by the criticism he has received from his own Church.
    Islamic Sharia law is a legal and social code designed to help Muslims live their daily lives, but it has proved controversial in the West for the extreme nature of some of its punishments.
    He is undoubtedly one of the finest minds of this nation

Rt Rev Stephen Lowe

Colonel Armitstead, a Synod member from the diocese of Bath and Wells, said Dr Williams should move to work in a university setting instead of leading the Anglican Church.
    "One wants to be charitable, but I sense that he would be far happier in a university where he can kick around these sorts of ideas."
    Alison Ruoff, a Synod member from London, said: "Many people, huge numbers of people, would be greatly relieved [if he resigned] because he sits on the fence over all sorts of things and we need strong, Christian, biblical leadership right now, as opposed to somebody who huffs and puffs around and vacillates from one thing to another.
    "He's a very able, a brilliant scholar as a man but in terms of being a leader of the Christian community I think he's actually at the moment a disaster."
    'Quite disgraceful'
    Brigadier William Dobbie, a former Synod member, described the Archbishop as "a disaster, a tragic mistake".
    The statement on the Archbishop's website also said Dr Williams had pointed out that "as a matter of fact, certain provisions of Sharia are already recognised in our society and under our law".
    SHARIA LAW
    Sharia law is Islam's legal system
    It is derived from the Koran and the life of the prophet Mohammed
    Sharia rulings help Muslims understand how they should lead their lives
    A formal legal ruling is called a fatwa
    In the West, Sharia courts deal mainly with family and business issues
    English law recognises religious courts as a means of arbitration

Q and A: Sharia law explained
    Sharia law around the world

The statement said he was "exploring ways in which reasonable accommodation might be made within existing arrangements for religious conscience".
    It also said his principal aim was "to tease out some of the broader issues around the rights of religious groups within a secular state".

The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) said it was grateful for the Archbishop's "thoughtful intervention" on the discussion of the place of Islam and Muslims in modern Britain.
    A spokesman said: "The MCB observes, with some sadness, the hysterical misrepresentations of his speech which serves only to drive a wedge between British people."
    The Bishop of Hulme, the Rt Rev Stephen Lowe, said he was dismayed at the "knee-jerk" reaction to Dr Williams' comments.
    "We have probably one of the greatest and the brightest Archbishops of Canterbury we have had for many a long day," he told BBC Radio 4.
    "He is undoubtedly one of the finest minds of this nation.
    "The way he has been ridiculed, lampooned and treated by some people and indeed some of the media within this process, is quite disgraceful."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7236174.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Archbishop defends Sharia remarks

"The way he has been ridiculed, lampooned and treated by some people and indeed some of the media within this process, is quite disgraceful."

i could take him a bit more seriously if he didn't look like something out of the lord of the rings

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd take him more seriously if he wasn't very high up in a group which devotes their life to a made up idea
    [CENTER][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Real pirates don't [I]STEAL[/I], they [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]SHARE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/B][SIZE=1]Unless they are cunts, then they just leech...:happy:[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

When is practising religion in public going to be made illegal in this country? Its about fucking time it was.
    If Circles were Squares and the Sea was the Sky...

Thanks
    Karma Level

he reminds me a bit of Father Jack, "feck, drink, girls".

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fusen View Post
    I'd take him more seriously if he wasn't very high up in a group which devotes their life to a made up idea
    Quality

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fucking bearded cunt.