Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Newark airport - average wait time ?

Hi guys,

I'm flying to New York in the middle of May with my girlfriend. We're flying into Newark airport and we're looking to book a private car to get us from the airport and take us to out hotel. Was wondering on average how long we should expect to wait to clear immigration and get our bags etc so we can have a rough idea of when to book the car for as they charge fees for waiting.

We arrive at 11.55am on a Thursday if that helps.

I know it's a really vague question but it would be nice to know what experience other travellers have had and average time it took them to get through everything.

cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Newark airport - average wait time ?

I was staying in Hoboken, New Jersey when I went to NY. It was the Xmas and NYE just after 9/11 and as you can imagine they were extra hot on security at the time. I reckon that from getting off the plane to walking out of the airport was 60 mins, so should be less nowdays.

As for booking a car to pick you up I wouldn't bother, I just jumped in a Yellow taxi outside mate, there's loads of them at the rank.

Edit: I also was humming The Sopranos theme tune all the way from the airport.
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 13th February 2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Typo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yep, cab or try airport shuttle.. think it was about $17 dollars each return and they drop you off and pick you up at hotel.. as for getting thru the airport under an hour although we were on an internal flight from florida, don't know if that made a difference..

Thanks
    Karma Level

My parents recently passed through JFK and they were 90 minutes getting through immigration.

Thanks
    Karma Level

JFK is really bad very slow. Newark are miles better well then have been when we went there. as for getting from the airport to the hotel if there are only 2 of you grab a cab its soo much easier, for the return trip get one of the black crown vic's same as a cab price wise but better drivers and better service.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I went thru Newark last month and it was fairly fast (certainly compared to Boston/Detroit and Baltimore I've also been through this year they were all over an hour and Boston was by far the worst - they refused to fast track me to the fron of the customs queue as I had less than an hour to make my connection as BA were fashionably late as usual - security supervisor told me first class passengers had complained about people being allowed to go to the front of the Q and he'd been bollocked and told to stop doing it)

Anyway it was less than 45 minutes from getting off the plane to rechecking my bags at the transfer desk. After getting off the plane you'll be Q'ing for immigration then thru to pick up your bags and then Q for Customs then you're free to go on your way (or hand your bags back in at a transfer station and go for your next flight)

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers for all the replies guys - much appreciated. Looks like we'll be taking a cab then Any idea on the total cost of the cab journey ?

Also will be taking Little John's recommendation of a black crown vic on the way back - will I need to book this service or can I just hail one off the street ?

thanks again guys

Thanks
    Karma Level

You book them, we just got the concierge to book it for us. give them the time you will leave and the car will be outside the front of the hotel.

Taxi's costs about $40-$65 from the airport to Manhatten + tolls depending on where your going, JKF has a flat fee + tolls. The car for the way back in the crown vic was a set fee but It wasnt much more than the outward journey. $5 or somthing for a nice clean car who doesnt drive like an idiot.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup: