Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Windscreen Problem Info Help Required.

Right my mum has a 04 Focus Zetec and at the start of November she had a chip repaired at Auto Glass. Today I have been cleaning it for her and I have notice that the windscreen has now got two small cracks leading from this repair, no more that 0.5mm, but these I have only just come.
    The chip is only very small and had taken a small amount of glass away hence why it was repaired.
    I was on the understanding that if the chip is repaired correctly that nothing else should happen to the area, so is this a failing in the job that has been done?
    And should I take this back? If it is a failing and now requires a new screen then surley she shouldn't have to pay for this because if the job had been done correctly in the first place then it would have started to crack.
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Windscreen Problem Info Help Required.

Sorry to bring this up, but just a update.

On Tuesday I noticed that screen had cracked from the area fixed and so Wednesday took it down to the local Sheffield garage. There a bloke came out and said that indeed the crack was from their fix but that my Mum would have to pay the excess on her insurance.
    I explained that when the guy came out to do the second fix said that he could have put a new screen in then, but prefered to try another fix because of how intrusive the work is. The guy said that they would pay the insurance company the money back they had paid to have the screen fixed and then my mum would have to pay them her excess. I argued that why should firstly my mum have to pay for the excess when it was through their faulty work that this has happened, and second why should her insurance have to pay for a new screen when it was the RAC's fault. His reply to this was that is how it is.
    Anyway after expressing my views on the way back to the office where my mum was, she gave him a piece of her mind when he explained it to her. While she was arguing the branch manager who was on the phone shout to the guy and asked him to show his reciept. After he did he said that there would be a problem and he started to explain when he had to talk on the phone so my mum waited for the manager to finish. When he came he said that because it was on the old system the terms were different then, and that we needed to contact customer services so that they could raise a job on the new system for him to fix. I thought hey presto there will be no problem.

A phone call to the care line taking over 45minutes in total, I spent the first 15minutes to to convince the woman that they had actually done the work as apparantly 'Theres were no records on the system'. After 15minutes she found it and then said that she had to pay the excess. After explaining the same situation again, and that I had got it in writing infront of me that it was covered by them for such a event, like the guy explained when he came to do the second fix, I told her to speak to the branch manager. She called the manager and spoke to one of her managers and after about 30minutes came back with the following agreement.
    ' On this occasion we will replace you windscreen free of charge, but no further fix's will be carried out. This is because you were missed informed about the terms as your fix was under our new computerised agreement which no longer offers this guarantee' even though the manager told me they did not move onto the new system until January 08.

Moral of the story is, don't let a company bully you, stand up for what is right!

Thanks
    Karma Level

well done a good blow for the little man

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well done indeed.

Apparently, if you roll your car, 30% of the upper strength comes from your windscreen.

That equates to life or death.

Death if you run a CC. Probably deserved.