Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Double Glazing - How much?

I'm thinking about getting some new windows and doors for my house but have no idea what I should be expected to pay? How much would you expect to pay for the below?

1 x PVC front door (not too fancy but nice enough)
    1 x PVC back door (with a window would be good but not too fussy)
    4 x Windows with a opening at the top
    1 x half sized bathroom window with that glass you can't see through.

The house is an old terraced house and the windows are narrow but quite high, maybe 6ft high apart from the bathroom one.

Also if any can recomend any companys/websites or let me know of any horror stories then that would be cool

I was hoping to pay over two years at around £60 a month but obviously thats flexible because i've no idea how much to pay!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Double Glazing - How much?

Doors £350 upwards fitted depends on what panels you want in them.
    windows depends on the size.
    b&q were doing a lovely door the other week for £118 and there easy to fit.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll have to get the tape meassure out when I go home for lunch. I've found this place online that gives you a good price guide as long as you know the measurements.

http://www.doubleglazingontheweb.co.uk/

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had that exact amount done last year mate, we got change out of £2000 by using a couple of lads over a weekend from a firm.(on the side is always cheapest)

That included toughnened glass in the bairns bedroom window. Apparently the locking systems on the doors are top notch as i had my uncle check them who used to own a upvc firm.

Front door has a large oval window in it, with etched pattern, back door is solid panels with no glass.
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just had our front door done. Cost £1310.

However, they were a bunch of fu(king muppets and have been back 3 times since. In total we have now had 3 door's fitted, the whole thing taken out and moved up as they didn't leave enough clearence on the door. The side panel has been replaced twice.
    I shouldn't name the company and I won't but they have a really anoying jingle on Essex FM. - Don't touch them with a barge pole.

Oh, that's without bumping the price up after we'd paid the deposit.

If I were you, I'd go by recomendation by more than one person. Don't be pressured into signing "on the day" to get extra discount, that's all bollocks.

Good luck
    Last edited by Tommy J; 19th February 2008 at 10:28 AM.
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

for 1 door, jesus christ mate, is it gold lined?
    SUNDERLAND AFC - THE NORTH EASTS ONLY PREMIERSHIP TEAM

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Christ that sounds expensive £1310 for 1 door? Plus fitted by idiots thats not good.
    Last edited by liveseytowers; 19th February 2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: cos me dumb

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mate,

I have just had quite a bit of double glazing put in the front of my house..

I had a total of 16 windows done plus doors...

The first thing that I learned was don’t go to any of the big players that advertise deals on tv. Firstly their sales men are dicks. They come round your house and you have to throw them out after an hour and all they do is talk bollocks. secondly, they quote you a fake ludicrous price, then they knock huge amounts off for effect, then come to a price that is more expensive than small local firms.

Do not go with any company that asks for money up front. The only reputable companies are the ones that ask for no payment up front and ask for you to pay after completion once you are happy with the windows.

I dealt with a company called Leeds Glass. They were superb. No hard sell. No gimmicks. No twatty salesmen. and I paid 1 month after completion as I wanted to make sure they were fitted properly. No problems. Also no mess. We didn't even have to re-decorate when they had finished as they made every attempt to preserve the plaster on the inside of the house.

I paid £380 for the UPVC door at the side of the house. Plain, with 4 windows at the top.
    £750 for the front door, but its one of the new fangled wood effect composite's.
    The bathroom window was frosted but very small, this was £80.
    Expect to pay about £100 - 140 for each pane in a window.. (depends on openers and type of glass)
    The bays came to about £750 - £800 each... but that’s for 5 windows in each bay. Plus openers and they were safety glass.
    Also by law you have to have safety glass on certain windows and all upstairs windows have to have an opening for fire regulations.

Hope this helps mate..

This is the company I used... Dont know if your near leeds,

http://www.leedsglassgroup.co.uk/

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ginnerfreak View Post
    Mate,

I have just had quite a bit of double glazing put in the front of my house..

I had a total of 16 windows done plus doors...

The first thing that I learned was don’t go to any of the big players that advertise deals on tv. Firstly their sales men are dicks. They come round your house and you have to throw them out after an hour and all they do is talk bollocks. secondly, they quote you a fake ludicrous price, then they knock huge amounts off for effect, then come to a price that is more expensive than small local firms.

Do not go with any company that asks for money up front. The only reputable companies are the ones that ask for no payment up front and ask for you to pay after completion once you are happy with the windows.

I dealt with a company called Leeds Glass. They were superb. No hard sell. No gimmicks. No twatty salesmen. and I paid 1 month after completion as I wanted to make sure they were fitted properly. No problems. Also no mess. We didn't even have to re-decorate when they had finished as they made every attempt to preserve the plaster on the inside of the house.

I paid £380 for the UPVC door at the side of the house. Plain, with 4 windows at the top.
    £750 for the front door, but its one of the new fangled wood effect composite's.
    The bathroom window was frosted but very small, this was £80.
    Expect to pay about £100 - 140 for each pane in a window.. (depends on openers and type of glass)
    The bays came to about £750 - £800 each... but that’s for 5 windows in each bay. Plus openers and they were safety glass.
    Also by law you have to have safety glass on certain windows and all upstairs windows have to have an opening for fire regulations.

Hope this helps mate..

This is the company I used... Dont know if your near leeds,

http://www.leedsglassgroup.co.uk/
    Cheers for that, was very helpful. I've been on the safestyle UK website trying to get a price but they don't quote online and want to send a sales person round. I'll tell em to ferk off if anyone comes knocking. There is a local company who have been doing it for years, i'll give them a ring.

I don't expect to be doing any redecorating but normally with my house being so old and wonky things are never straight forward.

Leeds is a bit for, i'm near Bolton.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Deffo go for a small local co with reputation ie look for them little boards they stick up. Or try yell for uPVC manufacturers, I know theres a couple local to me but I'm in Brum, & they are cheap, but recommended.
    Keep away from the big boys for sure.
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Thanks
    Karma Level

We bought ours from a supplier (for the big companies)

A lass I used to work with got her husband to fit them, with a little help from me, we did the back of the house on the Sat and the front on the Sun.

It is very easy to take windows out and put the new ones in, all you need is a steady hand when putting the sealer round.

I think it cost us around 1k for 8 windows, a few of them really big. Then I gave the lad £200 for fitting them.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've just had a thought, the house is 3 stories at the back so would that be an issue for fitting or can you do it all from the inside? Or is that just a really stupid question lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Really depends which side the frame seal is at. (the plastic bits that hold the glass in place)

A lot of old houses have seals on the outside, sometimes both.

This made it a little hard for one of the windows on my house.

New windows are normally on the inside

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can all be done from inside, which some say is better so the burglar cant just take em out & walk in. They are piss easy to remove, so internal may be better.
    I was told it was invented for high rise flats.
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rmj2663 View Post
    Can all be done from inside, which some say is better so the burglar cant just take em out & walk in. They are piss easy to remove, so internal may be better.
    I was told it was invented for high rise flats.
    That would make sense to me. Found a company near me that have been around for years and i've seen them installing loads of peoples windows near my dads house. Plus i'm guessing that they'll be used to all the weird walls that my house has because half the houses in town will be similar to mine.

Cheers for the advice peeps

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh, one other bit of advice, don't pay them a single penny until the job is done and your happy with it.
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

make sure you get good quality doors with re-enforced panels and multi-point locking mechanism, on the cheaper doors, burglars can just kick the cheaper panels through. also on the glass, it's internal beading, where the glass is fitted from the inside.
    i had new double glazing done about 8 years ago, by someone i was recommended after getting a few silly quotes, 1 bay (3 windows) 5 with openers and 3 without. woodgrain effect on the outside, white inside, with all sills, facias etc... cost me £2700 cash back then. done over 2 days and did a really good job.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I supply staff to manufacture these:

http://www.synseal.co.uk/

Go to the "find a installer" and they will locate the nearest person who you know use the number 1 product on the market place.
    Cut me open and I Bleed Red :mellow:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

£900 m8 for the windows and doors.
    im in the building game and roughly allow £100 per window(no matter what size) and £200 per door
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    I'm thinking about getting some new windows and doors for my house but have no idea what I should be expected to pay? How much would you expect to pay for the below?

1 x PVC front door (not too fancy but nice enough)
    1 x PVC back door (with a window would be good but not too fussy)
    4 x Windows with a opening at the top
    1 x half sized bathroom window with that glass you can't see through.

The house is an old terraced house and the windows are narrow but quite high, maybe 6ft high apart from the bathroom one.

Also if any can recomend any companys/websites or let me know of any horror stories then that would be cool

I was hoping to pay over two years at around £60 a month but obviously thats flexible because i've no idea how much to pay!
    Go for a Bank Loan as it will be far cheaper then finance from the supplyer/fitting company, What part of the country are you ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast