Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question New home gym equipment

Having already had a home gym set-up at my old house I am in the process of kitting out my new one.

This time the room is totally dedicated to training, I've had large mirrors fitted round one end of the room, high mounted TV aerial and plug socket for TV (when get one), my pull up frame and knee-raise frame from my old house to be bolted to the walls. I'm having a laminate floor put down next week and the whole room painted to make it look nice :o) I've also had a scaffold pole set in the walls, across the room, 6 inches from the ceiling so that I can hang my punch bag or use my resistance tubes from it (it is totally unsuitable for chin ups as I found out last Sat and bashed my head on the ceiling!!).

I am probably going to get rid of my old bench, it has served me well but it has some faults that really annoy me. The room isn't massive so I cannot get to much stuff in there but I am thinking of getting one of these and a separate simple bench that is adjustable for decline and incline:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...htext>RACK.htm

Has anyone else got one? Are you pleased with it?
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 20th February 2008 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New home gym equipment

Im moving house in 2 weeks and im planning on putting a punch bag up in the garage, Do you have a recommendation for one at all? It seems quite a mine field on ebay with shapes and sizes etc.

What ya doing with ya old bench too ;-) ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    Having already had a home gym set-up at my old house I am in the process of kitting out my new one.

This time the room is totally dedicated to training, I've had large mirrors fitted round one end of the room, high mounted TV aerial and plug socket for TV (when get one), my pull up frame and knee-raise frame from my old house to be bolted to the walls. I'm having a laminate floor put down next week and the whole room painted to make it look nice :o) I've also had a scaffold pole set in the walls, across the room, 6 inches from the ceiling so that I can hang my punch bag or use my resistance tubes from it (it is totally unsuitable for chin ups as I found out last Sat and bashed my head on the ceiling!!).

I am probably going to get rid of my old bench, it has served me well but it has some faults that really annoy me. The room isn't massive so I cannot get to much stuff in there but I am thinking of getting one of these and a separate simple bench that is adjustable for decline and incline:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...htext>RACK.htm

Has anyone else got one? Are you pleased with it?
    I quite like that R-R as it can accomodate many lifting excersises, which is also good for space too.

When i get round to getting my own gaff iw ould be looking for something like this and also as advises above a punch bag, big hefty one as the uncle likes a box or two too

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheFincher View Post
    Im moving house in 2 weeks and im planning on putting a punch bag up in the garage, Do you have a recommendation for one at all? It seems quite a mine field on ebay with shapes and sizes etc.

What ya doing with ya old bench too ;-) ;-)
    I am going to whack it on Ebay but if you wanted to make me an offer mate. It's in good nick, got a leg curl/extension attachemnt, preacher curl pad, dips handles and moveable seat/seat back for incline and flat pressing. There's some pics here:

http://digital-forums.com/showthread...highlight=home

My punchbag is about 15 years old, I have re-stuffed it a few times but it has no splits or tears which means either (a) I don't pack a mean punch or (b) it's a well made hard wearing bag (more likely!). Mine is BBE and I bought it from a boxing shop in Brixton. Let me have a nose about and see what I can recommend for you. You can have my "pig tail" ceiling hook for your bag as I don't need it now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This may sound like a pisstake question, but trust me it isn't. Why do you have these full length mirrors in gyms?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wizard1974uk View Post
    This may sound like a pisstake question, but trust me it isn't. Why do you have these full length mirrors in gyms?
    To ensure that you are training correctly. The majority of professional sportsmen and women video themselves training which gives an out of body view of their performance to spot faults in their technique and improve where they are going wrong.

By having the mirrors run to the corners of the room and opposite each other, I can see myself from behind and side on, which is great to watch when performing an exercise and ensuring good form is maintained.

Spoiler:

And of course for a hot, sweaty "muscle" wank when the missus is out...why else?

Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 20th February 2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typos!

Thanks
    Karma Level

To ensure that you are training correctly. The majority of professional sportsmen and women video themselves training which gives an out of body view of their performance to spot faults in their technique and improve where they are going wrong.

By having the mirrors run to the corners of the room and oposite each other, I can see myself rom behind and side on, which is great to watch when performing an exercise and ensuring good form is maintained.

Spoiler:

And of course for a hot, sweaty "muscle" wank when the missus is out...why else?

I thought it might have something to do with that, but not the last bit in spoilers

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am going to whack it on Ebay but if you wanted to make me an offer mate. It's in good nick, got a leg curl/extension attachemnt, preacher curl pad, dips handles and moveable seat/seat back for incline and flat pressing. There's some pics here:

http://digital-forums.com/showthread...highlight=home

My punchbag is about 15 years old, I have re-stuffed it a few times but it has no splits or tears which means either (a) I don't pack a mean punch or (b) it's a well made hard wearing bag (more likely!). Mine is BBE and I bought it from a boxing shop in Brixton. Let me have a nose about and see what I can recommend for you. You can have my "pig tail" ceiling hook for your bag as I don't need it now.
    Im very new to this and have no real idea what all of that means but it sounds ace! How much are you looking for? I realise ive slightly hijacked this thread a little so maybe we should continue this through PM's. I might start a thread regarding punch bags too as it will hopefully get more exposure........... Your garage looks sweet too by the way, Nice setup. How do you secure the "pigtail" hook to the ceiling?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would reccomend something more along these lines, a 'proper' cage. Will give much more flexibility and a better range of movement whilst still having the racks. This is just the first one I found, some of them can be really snazzy, and it'll give you somewhere to do chins.
    http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...y%5FAttachment

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    I would reccomend something more along these lines, a 'proper' cage. Will give much more flexibility and a better range of movement whilst still having the racks. This is just the first one I found, some of them can be really snazzy, and it'll give you somewhere to do chins.
    http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...y%5FAttachment

Nice one Mike. I've just ordered the flat/incline/decline bench, the rack with lat pull down attachment, matting to go underneath and a weight tree too. Got them down to £529.99 with delivery. It comes next week, then I've got to assemble it! I didn't go for the selctorised weight stack as I can use free weights for the time being.

The rack:
    Spoiler:

The bench
    Spoiler:

The tree
    Spoiler:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very nice mate, what a fantastic looking meccano set, that's going to be great fun to put together I bet lol