Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Advice on Graphics Card for new machine

My day to day computer is 8 years old and starting to struggle a bit. Most parts have been replaced and the next logical step is to put in a new graphics card.

The thing is, its £50 for a new graphics card and once I've done that I'm just gonna be replacing the motherboard and processor and the hard drive is a shitty old IDE thing which is slow as fuck too.

Sooooo... I've got a nice quote from dell on this:
    N-Series Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6550 Processor (2.33GHz, 1333Mhz FSB, 2MB cache)
    Ubuntu Desktop Edition version 7.10
    1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA/100 Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache
    128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8300GS Turbocache graphics card
    16x DVD +/- RW Drive

£418 seems like a nice bargain for that, especially since it means i have 2 full computers rather than one working and a pile of assorted spares.

The thing is, that graphics card has 128meg of ram. I was under the impression that in these modern times all graphics cards have a million billion zillion terabytes. Its the only graphics card available with the machine which is also really really strange.

Will it be shite? My 8 year old one has 64meg and some of the strange things that this computer does are blamed on a lack of graphics RAM in a lot of places.

edit: if anybody wants a laugh (i mentioned this in my computing class at uni and almost brought the house down) I'm currently using a geforce2. you heard me. geforce2. i have nothing to compensate for
    Last edited by TwoPlAnKs; 22nd February 2008 at 02:54 AM.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Advice on Graphics Card for new machine

128meg is about the minimum nowadays, most decent 3D cards come with 256meg. It shouldn't be a problem for every day use though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Geforce 8300 and 8400

In the summer of 2007, NVIDIA released the entry level GeForce 8300 and 8400 series of graphics cards. Both series are based on the G86 core and as of December 2007, both series only have a GS version. The GeForce 8300 is also only available in the OEM market, and thus cannot be found in retail outlets. These graphics cards are targeted mainly for those who just need a discrete graphics solution, as the video card performs poorly in intense 3D applications such as high-end video games.
    Well I don't play games but I sort of want something a bit future proof.

Am I right in thinking that card is totally low spec compared to the rest of the machine?

Thanks
    Karma Level

ah cheers 909, didnt see your post there. was thinking it was fairly minimal

where's the thanks button gone? given you positive karma instead but i usually like to do both

Thanks
    Karma Level

yea, the 8300 GS will be fine for day to day stuff, but you can get an EVGA 8400 GS with 256MB of DDR2 SDRAM for just £25 on dabs.com

If you want something a little beefier you can get a EVGA 8600 GT with 256MB of DDR2 SDRAM for £77 on dabs.com

You can get an MSI 8600 GT for £52 from dabs.com

So it wont cost much to upgrade if the 8300GS is no good for you later on. But seeing as you dont run any games it will be fine!

I have an 8400M GS in my lappy and I have run CRYSIS (albiet on low settings), Half Life 2: Orange Box (on max settings), TimeShift (on medium settings) all running smooth!

Only one I had and problems with was CRYSIS, but that game brings 8800GT cards to their knees!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Build your own, with onboard graphics for the time being and stick a 8800GT in there when funds allow.
    I'll spec you something if you want.

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Waka View Post
    Build your own, with onboard graphics for the time being and stick a 8800GT in there when funds allow.
    I'll spec you something if you want.

W.
    I can't build my own for less than dell do unfortunately

having worked with the latest dells a fair bit I am really impressed and want to support what they are doing with bringing linux to the masses too. I admit I could maybe find bargains on parts and put them all together but I don't think its worth it for the possible saving, if any.

the other advantage of the dell machine is they'll have sorted out any silly bugs you get when you combine theoretically compatabile hardware that has never been tested together before

thanks for the offer though

and thanks for the help Herman. I'll make sure that machine has a slot for a card and if it does I think i'll definiately get it with the possiblility of upgrading in the future, probably to one of the ones you mentioned. as you know I'm always totally out of the loop with graphics cards because I dont play games, then when I need one all the big words and flashy brand names confuse me

unfortunately puting my car through its MOT largely stole the cash i had for this so its gonna be at least next pay check and possibly a raiding of the savings/overdraft to get it now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs View Post
    I can't build my own for less than dell do unfortunately
    you can build much better for your money take a look at this screen shot from ebuyer ok its £5 more than the dell but much better spec

or save a few quid this is about same spec as from dell but with better graphics and faster ram

Last edited by gmc007; 27th February 2008 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gmc007 View Post
    you can build much better for your money take a look at this screen shot from ebuyer ok its £5 more than the dell but much better spec

or save a few quid this is about same spec as from dell but with better graphics and faster ram

wowee. i dunno if dells prices have gone up or if they have gone down but those systems seem better enough to warrant the hassle of it. at the very least they'd remove my worries about the dodgy graphics card

i'm still slightly undecided. i've always sung the praises of self builds but being able to get the dell that i know for a fact has no dodgy issues, and also that i know for a fact that it all has decent linux drivers which some new kit sometimes doesnt

karma to you young man though, you've given me lots to think about

luckily my car just cost me £746.66 to go through its MOT (if only everything in life was as reliable as a volkswagen) so that has knocked this back a few paychecks, otherwise i'd already have the dell and be mighty pissed off