Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MacBook Air

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default MacBook Air

I'm in the market for a compact notebook. However, I've never used Mac OS before, so, should I spend the premium and go for a MacBook Air?

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/

Any comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: MacBook Air

Beautiful bit of kit. My sis-in-law got one.

I bought my first Apple last year (iMac 24") and I fucking love it. I don't wanna be a Apple fanboy but I'm pissed that I didn't convert years ago. Mind you with the Intel chip now in mac's it is only recently a viable option.

I have windows running on the mac when I need it. I used it alot when I first got the mac but now a only use windows to check websites I have coded to make sure it all looks right in IE.

Go get it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive not had any experience of the MacBook Air so you will probably call me a cunt in some way or another for even replying.......... But........... Have you had a look at the ASUS Eee thingies, My mate has recently got one and has flopped XP on it and it runs like a dream.......... Saves getting to know how to use Mac OS too which i think is turd!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheFincher View Post
    Saves getting to know how to use Mac OS too which i think is turd!
    You're a turd

Leopard pisses over xp/vista. It is built with work flow in mind.

If you are just playing games and wanking then stick with a PC.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I made the swap a few years ago, and cliché as it is haven't looked back. Being fairly neutral still though, obviously it isn't perfect, and whilst they are easy to use it might take a while to get used to it if you've got old windows habits hammered into you but certainly personally i feel the premium i've paid (several times now, 2 Laptops and a desktop in the house) has been well worth it, its hard to convey but it is genuinely a lot less hassle to use on a day to day basis.

As for the Macbook Air itself I'm personally not convinced, I don't find my Macbook Pro that inconveniently heavy and personally would favor the performance over light weight and size, so i would recommend checking that out as well depending on how mobile you want to be. But as far as the premium for being a Mac goes, id agree definitely worth it
    [live=JungIist]JungIist[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    You're a turd

Leopard pisses over xp/vista. It is built with work flow in mind.

If you are just playing games and wanking then stick with a PC.
    I have it on good authority that the Mac OS is worth the learning curve. But is it worth the premium?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm 32. I got my Mac at the end of last year. I've always had PC's since a kid. I'll never go back to one. In fact I had a monster built 18 months ago (£2k). It's gathering dust in the corner lol.

It's not just the aesthetics. Apple O/S work. Fullfuckingstop.

Thanks
    Karma Level

But if you seriously are only going to browse internet then no point really m8.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's going to be used for writing primarily, but obviously I need it to be an allrounder to boot. Plus I'm as shallow as the next man, this thing looks good enough to fuck.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah that's the beauty of a laptop. You can clasp the thing over your thomas and fuck it proper.

Thanks
    Karma Level

theres been a lot of moaning about the lack of optical drive and single USB connection etc.. and obviously for these reasons its not exactly a great replacement for a main machine, but as a portable "sit about the house on the net" type computer, id give me left bollock to own one.. or preferably the cash, if i had it.

its around the same dimensions of my vaio (obviously much much thinner) and thats been perfect as an ultra portable, so size wise, id have no probs replacing my current notbook with this.

and macOS is barely even an issue any more.. as a laptop os i think your prolly better off with leopard than windows (definately more so with vista). bang parallels on there and any windows compatibility issues are overcome... plus shit like mouse pad gestures built in is quite cool.

i honestly very much doubt you would regret it.. if you got the cash, theres no reason not to imo.

let us know if you do and how you get on with it, as im very very interested in these.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I to have converted to a Mac in the last few moths, it is very good... It browses well,the iLife package is very good as well.

THe thing that swayed it for me is that you can run windows on a Mac but not Mac on windows. So i figured that it was worth the risk that even if i did not like Leopard that i could just run vista.

Vista also runs like shit off a stick in a Macbook....!

So forget what it is running as that can be changed/delt with, just go for looks as you will always wish you went for the supermodel rather than the tramp if you do not.....

Just my opinion.

Crash

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you need it to be an all rounder id get the macbook if you dont burn anything very often (or at all) and you need something to lug around with you then the air is a possibly better option, i use a macbook pro mostly and that was my 1st mac and although learning the new os can be a pain after a few days you'll get into it and not look back

cas

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

waiting to see if the macbook pro updates myself and then ill make the decision about my laptop......been waiting for ages to replace but now decided to get the macbook pro, if an upgrade doesn't come out soon ill just get the the MBP as it is now.....its a powerful machine as well....

Mind you having seen the macbook Air and macbook pro in person they are a sweet machines, the air is something else but as i need a main laptop for other things too i am going MBP................
    Last edited by TIN CAN; 25th February 2008 at 08:33 PM.
     iPhone 6 baby...
     iMac 24", 2.4Ghz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
     Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, 250GB, 4GB RAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post
    theres been a lot of moaning about the lack of optical drive and single USB connection etc.. and obviously for these reasons its not exactly a great replacement for a main machine, but as a portable "sit about the house on the net" type computer.
    I'm just about convinced, it's only going to be used for basic applications like a word processor etc. and browsing the net and it'll be for use while on the move or sat out in the summer etc.....

Now I've just got to justify spending that kind of cash.......I really fancy the 1.8Ghz model too with the solid state drive........

Thanks
    Karma Level

I feel I have been saying this all over the forums of late, but my Thinkpad X series is fantastic as a ultra portable machine.

The absence of optical drives doesn't bother me. Wifi is the future anyway. Just burn stuff remotely if you want to.

That said I have used macs a fair bit too, and the bottom line is, they do just work. All the software they use is so integrable. They don't fall over as much as PC's.

I would recommend the Mac Book Air, as I've seen a few in the flesh and they are fkin awesome. I'd never actually get one myself as I tend to like to use my lappy for lots of things that can only be done with a PC.

If it's in addition to a PC just get one. If you don't get on with it sell it, at least you'll have satisfied your curiosity (for a bit anyway!).

I think too, now they are (or can be) intel based you can get some cross platform stuff going.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

@tin can the rumour is tuesday new mbpro's will be updated according to digg

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Other thing i would recomend is finding a mate/child/lover who is at college/school/Uni as they get a discount, normally about the cost of the VAT so a fair bit off but the best discount is with the apple care, i work at a Uni and got about £150 off and then got the apple care for about £40 rather than £200.

Make is a better price....! I was going to get it in America for about the same price but it was easier to have all of the correct voltages ont he chargers and stuff by getting it in the UK after i found out abou the discount.

Crash

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestmac View Post
    Other thing i would recomend is finding a mate/child/lover who is at college/school/Uni as they get a discount, normally about the cost of the VAT so a fair bit off but the best discount is with the apple care, i work at a Uni and got about £150 off and then got the apple care for about £40 rather than £200.

Make is a better price....! I was going to get it in America for about the same price but it was easier to have all of the correct voltages ont he chargers and stuff by getting it in the UK after i found out abou the discount.

Crash
    Thanks for the tip, it'll be bought through a business so we can claim the VAT back....

Thanks
    Karma Level

deffo get the apple cover..my macbook stopped charging after a year and if i didnt have the cover it wold have cost me £500 to fix (or buy a new one) :|

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast