Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default stock ticker / virtual portfolio ?

anyone know of a decent ticker so a can keep track of all the shares i'm interested in?? or anyone know of a free online account i can do fake share buying so i cna get a knack of it all?

Thanks lads!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: stock ticker

www.shareprice.co.uk - make a watch list of your shares and keep a track in real time.

www.iii.co.uk - virtual portfolio.

Both need to register a free account.

Yahoo money have a virtual portfolio service as well.

If you open a broker account with most decent places they will let you have a virtual portfolio also.

Thanks
    Karma Level

cool mate, been watching a couple that i like to keep an eye on. i am starting to read about all the companies i like and learn about their business models, debt, assets, profits, outgoings, just the lot and see if they have any major upcoming announcements but am not well versed in it at all yet and would like to learn my trade by seeing if i am doing the write thing (virtually) without losing money!!

Thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tam9 View Post
    cool mate, been watching a couple that i like to keep an eye on. i am starting to read about all the companies i like and learn about their business models, debt, assets, profits, outgoings, just the lot and see if they have any major upcoming announcements but am not well versed in it at all yet and would like to learn my trade by seeing if i am doing the write thing (virtually) without losing money!!

Thanks
    Very good call mate.

Remember that sometimes all the research in the world wont relate to how a share price will move. Bearing in mind alot of the time the 'good news' that is being speculated on forums etc is already factored into the price or a big spike before the news comes out will lead to a drop on good news.

Hence the age old "Buy on the Rumour, Sell on the News"

Depending on your investment strategy, its always worth looking at whats being 'buzzed' about and try to cash in on the excitment to.

Look at Yell for example - obvious that share was going to plummet after it broke all the resistance points it had kept safe on before.

It was also just as good a call that it would go back up in due course, like it have been 'yo-yo'ing' for the past few months.

20p buy to 30p sell is a nice profit if you were brave enough.

I dumped my LLOYds shares as i will bored of seeing it tickle 70p and then keep retracing lower 69/68/67... so i sold out at 69.5p, let it dip back down to 65p and bought back in for a free 4.5p rise Dont sound much but when your talking a few thousand shares, it all adds up.
    Last edited by Spennyboy; 25th June 2009 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: stock ticker / virtual portfolio ?

If you find a ticker display for websites I will write a BB code so it can be placed in a post if that helps.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spennyboy View Post
    Very good call mate.

Remember that sometimes all the research in the world wont relate to how a share price will move. Bearing in mind alot of the time the 'good news' that is being speculated on forums etc is already factored into the price or a big spike before the news comes out will lead to a drop on good news.

Hence the age old "Buy on the Rumour, Sell on the News"

Depending on your investment strategy, its always worth looking at whats being 'buzzed' about and try to cash in on the excitment to.

Look at Yell for example - obvious that share was going to plummet after it broke all the resistance points it had kept safe on before.

It was also just as good a call that it would go back up in due course, like it have been 'yo-yo'ing' for the past few months.

20p buy to 30p sell is a nice profit if you were brave enough.

I dumped my LLOYds shares as i will bored of seeing it tickle 70p and then keep retracing lower 69/68/67... so i sold out at 69.5p, let it dip back down to 65p and bought back in for a free 4.5p rise Dont sound much but when your talking a few thousand shares, it all adds up.
    spenny if you dont mind me asking..how much did you initially walk into the S&S game with? See I have got money...that I'd rather not loss but if I lost it, I can recover so it's not a life or death situation with the money for me..so was just wondering how you started, penny shares, long term strat or short term high risk that sorta thing..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tam9 View Post
    spenny if you dont mind me asking..how much did you initially walk into the S&S game with? See I have got money...that I'd rather not loss but if I lost it, I can recover so it's not a life or death situation with the money for me..so was just wondering how you started, penny shares, long term strat or short term high risk that sorta thing..
    I started with £100 on a pennyshare with a long term aim (12-18 Months)... quickly after getting a taste for the market and realsing bigger investment = bigger/quicker gains. That turned into £1000, that into £5000... etc etc

My first trade was a company I thought would return to former glory and net me a couple of grand profit over the period.

Then I started doing proper research into how everything worked - I spent a couple of weeks watching a live stock ticker and reading about 5 different forums, seeing how people were reacting to the price moves and news annoucements. I bought a few books on stock trading and how the city works. I started reading the Times newspaper and getting the weekend FT to see peoples reactions to what had happened the previous day/week.

If you can accurately judge the reaction of the market to a situtation, your be a rich man. (a.k.a Swine Flu and the medical shares )

Then I started crunching the numbers and percentage profits to see at what prices I would get a return over what period. Because I had noticed several shares trading within a 10-15p range. I begun to set targets for return, so then i knew exactly how much i needed to invest and what the share price had to do to get my target.

I found JJB at around 12p. After reading about the managment being taken over and a proposed CVA pretty much being signed and sealed - i decided that it would be a good earner short term. Especially as the CVA being passed would mean a short term spike at the very least. I got in at 16p, its trading at 32p today.

Thing is, no matter how much your invest, its unlikely your lose it all - but your deffinately lose a chunk if you not smart about it. Having a tight stop loss means that ok, you may get stopped out a bit early for no reason from time to time - which may lead to £10-100 loss on a trade - but over the long term the trades you run for profit will far outweigh that. The flip side is if you dont have a stop target, let it drop 50% and your money is shagged and tied up for weeks/months until it recovers and you can sell out, otherwise you take the 50% hit on your capital.

What happen to my first trade? It didnt work out, still watching them but for the moment its dead water till they sort out a few issues. I invested a further £400 on some good news, bought my avg down however the good news was short lived. I sold out for £410 in the end. £90 loss and priceless experience.

I tend to trade short term mostly - day trade if oppourtunity arises but not often as its risky with prices spiking and crashing for no reason at the moment.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Spennyboy & Tam thanks for the input on what seems to be a very daunting subject.

I have been wondering about investing in shares for a few months now and had a look at and registered with Shareprice uk. Set up a virtual portfolio with a few I have looked at in the past.

Having a look round at the moment and came across Speedy Hire who's shares have dropped to below 30p and was thinking of having a go with them!

What do you think?
    Rallying .... Because Football, Cricket and Golf only requires one ball.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by snorty1uk View Post
    Having a look round at the moment and came across Speedy Hire who's shares have dropped to below 30p and was thinking of having a go with them!

What do you think?
    Just having a quick look....

Ok so they have had a rights issue passed, hence the drop not being a drop but a re-evalution on new shares issued.

Speedy Hire is pleased to announce that all of the resolutions (the "Resolutions") proposed at today's Extraordinary General Meeting, to approve the proposed Rights Issue of 458,658,900 New Ordinary Shares and other related matters, were duly passed without amendment by the required majority on a show of hands.
    In which case, there are a fair few investors who have had to take up alot more shares and invest more money in the hope that when the new shares were issued, they would be minimal damage in terms of a loss.

I would imagine that there will be a flurry of sales to come with people who have given up on the company trying to claw what ever they can back.

They have an AGM on Tuesday 21 July, that will be crunch time so see how the market reacts on the build up to that.

I wouldnt be suprised to see that fall a bit further yet. Get it posted in the Individual Share Section and we'll keep an eye on it. See if you called it right