Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info New Coins for the United Kingdom

The money in your pocket is changing. The backs of the one, two, five, 10, 20, and 50 pence pieces and the pound coins have been redesigned.

The main change in the design of competition winner Matthew Dent is that the coins all feature different parts of a single image, the Royal Shield of the UK. The size, shape, material and weight of the coins remains the same, but there are subtle and significant differences in the designs.

Philip Mussell, of Coin News magazine, and Philip Nathan, sculptor and numismatic designer, responsible for numerous commemorative British coins and the general coinage of Barbados, among others, give their observations on the new designs.

The theme of a single image shown in parts over the reverses of the coins surprised many. "They are quite different from anything we have ever had before," says Mussell. "Every single image has been a complete image as far as I'm aware. It is a very clever, innovative way of doing things."

The old coins all showed a single image. The portcullis on the one pence piece, the crowned lion on the 10 pence or the Tudor rose on the 20 pence piece are all very recognisable images. These will now disappear from the nation's coinage.

The innovative design concept of the coins can have a strange effect when the coins are taken in isolation, as can be seen with the new 20 pence piece. Because of the way the shield is divided a fleur-de-lys appears pointing diagonally downwards at the top of the coin, notes Nathan. "The twenty pence piece is a very difficult shape to work with. In this case the designer has ignored it."

But the 20 pence piece also shows the similarity with the old reverse. The practice of having the lettering mostly indented, rather than raised as in other coins in the series, is retained. Also retained is the thick band at the edge of the coin. In the old designs, the image runs over on to the band. In the new design the banding is also used for the image.

Nathan was quick to spot that the other major difference is the absence of numerals. In a nation visited by so many non-English speakers, this is an interesting choice, suggests Mussell.

On the old coins there were numerals on the one, two, five, 10, 20 and 50 pence pieces, but not on the pound coin for obvious reasons.

Ahead of the unveiling, the major news was the absence of Britannia from the the 50 pence piece. But, Mussell points out, this motif is not a constant of British coinage. It was introduced by the Romans, fell out of favour after their departure, and was reintroduced by Charles II in 1672 with the goddess modelled on a female friend of the king, says Mussell.

The move away from Britannia has not pleased traditionalists, with the Daily Express labelling a move to drop an "iconic figure" as "plain daft". But some will have noted that many 50 pence pieces already do not feature Britannia, instead devoting the reverse to major commemorations. These have included D-Day and entry into the European Economic Community.

The new coinage offers no nod towards the national symbols of Wales, notes Mussell. The quarters of the shield represent England, Scotland, Ireland, and England again.

On the old coins, the two pence piece showed the emblem of the prince of Wales, three ostrich feathers within a crown. The new design shows the Scottish section of the Royal Shield.

For all the radical redesign of the reverse, the new coins are remaining the same in many ways. Their size, shape, weight and metal make-up will not be affected, something that is very important for quick recognition by shoppers, Mussell says.

The new pound coin is being referred to as the "jigsaw box lid", as it bears the complete image of the Royal Shield that is spread across the other coins. The old coins had a polished finish, while the new have some matte elements.

The new coins do not have the raised dotted line just inside the edge of the piece that could be found on all the old circular coins.

"Beading is not that traditional [on British coinage]," says Mussell. "I wouldn't say it went back more than a couple of hundred years."

Philip Mussell believes the new designs are intriguing, with the main theme, the spread image, a first in coinage.
    But Philip Nathan does not believe that the new designs do not represent a satisfying artistic and numismatic whole. The selection of designs by committee often makes achieving this difficult, he insists.
    "There is no special interest in terms of history," he says. "All we have done is subdivide a single coat of arms. Changing it this way does not make the images look modern. It is a graphic design solution."

Full Story

Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New Coins for the United Kingdom

They look nice! Quite surprised to be honest with you!

Thanks
    Karma Level

they look a bit to euro-ish to me!!
    none needed

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah very different but nice

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tr1xerb3ll View Post
    I wonder why

Cheapreefer on instagram

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I like 'em!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    They look nice! Quite surprised to be honest with you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tr1xerb3ll View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ss30 View Post
    I wonder why
    I'm not 100% sure on these yet.

Maybe it's because they are so different, but I am surprised that such a radical design has been chosen.

I also find it strange that given that we have not committed ourselves to the Euro one way or another, that the Royal Mint commissions a new design for all our coins.
    Does this mean we won't be joining the Euro?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They look good to me!! about time a update is introduced

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    I also find it strange that given that we have not committed ourselves to the Euro one way or another, that the Royal Mint commissions a new design for all our coins.
    Does this mean we won't be joining the Euro?
    or they have given us new coins so that all they have to do when the euro comes in is change "pound" to "dollar" and "p" to "c" and jobs a good 'un

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think its really good, very creative, love the idea that they all show different parts of one overall image

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quite stylish.. a good effort from the royal mint.

Thanks
    Karma Level

personally I think they are fucking retarded.

I wonder if the judge from this competition that no cunt knew even took place also judges the Blue Peter painting competitions ? You know the ones that you have to be totally fucked up or under five to win.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

waste a b/oody time , whats up with the old ones.
    There not worth more lol

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I quite like them. A compliant would be that there is a little too much "blank" space on some of the coins.

Also, they are of Welsh design (a bloke in North Wales won the compo), so wherever you go you`ll always have a little bit of Wales with you

That and they are produced at the Mint in Llantrisant.
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

reminds me of the joke..
    What do you call the hole with the mint in it? ..... Llantrisant.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They look great, I'm impressed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

or they have given us new coins so that all they have to do when the euro comes in is change "pound" to "dollar" and "p" to "c" and jobs a good 'un
    If the Euro comes in why would we Change Pound to Dollar ?,it would be a Euro i think.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Pete View Post
    I quite like them. A compliant would be that there is a little too much "blank" space on some of the coins.

Also, they are of Welsh design (a bloke in North Wales won the compo), so wherever you go you`ll always have a little bit of Wales with you

That and they are produced at the Mint in Llantrisant.
    Does that make up for this though?

The new coinage offers no nod towards the national symbols of Wales, notes Mussell. The quarters of the shield represent England, Scotland, Ireland, and England again.

On the old coins, the two pence piece showed the emblem of the prince of Wales, three ostrich feathers within a crown. The new design shows the Scottish section of the Royal Shield.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

These new coins are the same size as our current coins, therefore different sizes to the euro and cent coins.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    personally I think they are fu(king retarded.

I wonder if the judge from this competition that no (unt knew even took place also judges the Blue Peter painting competitions ? You know the ones that you have to be totally fu(ked up or under five to win.
    Wasnt the legend that was joey deacon was it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast