Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Dilemma With Our Dog

We have a Shih Tzu Dog, Barney. I bought him when he was a pup for the wife when we first moved in together over 12 years ago.

A couple of years ago he got an ulcer on his eye that we paid for surgery to try and save, but ultimately he ended up having to have another operation to have his eye removed as it was collapsing.

He seemed to cope fine with the loss of his eye, but recently the other eye started to deteriorate. We had him back to the vet and they told us he had another ulcer. We paid for treatment but I have to say it looks like it has gone the way of the other eye, and to make matters worse he seems to be getting distressed.

He has also been bumping into things around the house, and we had to free him from the side gate the other day when the daft sod got his head trapped in it.

We are going to take him to the Vets later today. But I just overheard the missus talking to him saying "I don't think your going to be with us for much longer love".

Which made me think, because, I have to be honest with you I have absolutely no intention of having him put down just because he is going / gone blind.

Am I being selfish and have any of you experience of owning a blind dog ?

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Dilemma With Our Dog

Tough one man :/

If he can't see and is bumping into things and is distressed then you know the answer.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Think you need to talk to the vet about it, if he's just going blind but is in otherwise perfect health then it could be a bit rash to have it put down, however, if the vet advises you that the rest of his body is also packing in then that's another matter.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, Jesus that's not nice.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think it is selfish if the animal's quality of life has deteriorated that much that it is bumping into stuff. I had a guy working for me a few years ago; he and his wife had no children but substituted this with their dog who they adored. It got cancer and they spent thousands keeping the poor mutt alive with chemo. It could barely walk and went on like this for about a year, when it eventually died. I think they were putting their own feelings first rather than putting the animal out of its misery.

It's a very tough decision but you got to do the right thing by your pet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It is difficult isn't it.

If you feel you can offer your dog a quality of life where he will not suffer then I am sure he will be fine in his twilight years, but it depends on you and your life style. It would be cruel if the dog was left alone all day while you and your misses are at work and nobody is there with him. How about when you go on holiday? What will happen then?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Tough one man :/

If he can't see and is bumping into things and is distressed then you know the answer.
    The answer - I will carry him about and "mollycoddle" him as best as I can. I will become a "Guide for the Blind Dog" so to to speak.

I cannot contemplate putting him down.
    Last edited by tips; 24th April 2008 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am hoping the distress is caused due to his eye been sore. If they say we can remove the eye to stop any pain then we will do that. I will obviosuly take note of whatever the vet has to say, but I am going to take some convincing to do anything else.

I have been reading up from Google and so long as we don't move things about, apparently they can adapt to it very well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If he is not distressed or in pain then put yourself first. Heartbreaking I know but do the right thing mate :/

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Going blind isn't that bad and as long as it is in otherwise good health it'll learn to cope without being able to see.

I had a cat that had an eye removed and then went slowly blind in the other eye, it would do things like walking towards the hinge side of a closed door (thinking the door would be open and it could just walk straight through) However, this would be an issue for it even if it could see as it couldn't open the door on it's own anyway. It could find it's way about the house no problem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    It is difficult isn't it.

If you feel you can offer your dog a quality of life where he will not suffer then I am sure he will be fine in his twilight years, but it depends on you and your life style. It would be cruel if the dog was left alone all day while you and your misses are at work and nobody is there with him. How about when you go on holiday? What will happen then?
    Both me and the wife are at home most of the time. If we go on holiday either my Dad (who own's one of Barneys son's), or the wifes Aunty (who owns one of Barneys brothers) come and stay here to look after him.

So that wouldn't be a problem either. I just don't want to do the wrong thing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Where I walk my dog there's a guy with 2 lovely rotties. The bitch has diabetes and has recently gone blind. She seems to cope very well and follows the sound of the owner. I think having the other dog helps her.

What you have to do obviously is do what's in the best interests for your dog, not what your emotions tell you. Maybe you could get another dog that might help yours and that will help the inevitable loss either soon or in a few years.

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had to get one of mine put down as it kept wagging its tail, only you will know when its time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tips View Post
    We have a Shih Tzu Dog, Barney. I bought him when he was a pup for the wife when we first moved in together over 12 years ago.
    I'd expect the dog to live for a few years longer if there's nothing else wrong, see what the vet says. Some live to be quite old in terms of dog years.

I've only met one blind dog and that dog was fine (although he has 3 other dogs living with him which probably helps), he apparently goes to the wrong person when called sometimes and he was barking in the wrong direction last time we approached him. You'll probably just have to get used to him bumping into things until he remembers the layout of his den and not move anything around.

Of course you could be nasty and move things around a lot
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you thought about going all blue peter to cure this problem.
    http://www.handicappedpets.com/acc/harness/index.htm

Thanks
    Karma Level

A relative had a dog that lost its sight, they had had it since it was a pup and the same thing happened bumping in to things etc even 6 months after it was still having problems getting around. the constant bumping in to things ended up with more trips the the vet to repair the cuts and injuries. the dog ended up costing a lot to look after but they could afford it.
    The main problem was the dog put on soo much weight becasue everytime they let it off the lead in a field it would run and fall or somthing they ended up paying out more and eventually had to stop taking it out for more than a walk. The dog developed health issues due to the excess weight and it was decided to put the dog down on the advise of the vet.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

shit mate, this is a tough one! As other have said, if he is perfectly healthy apart from his eyes then do not put him down!

A person can learn to adapt being blind, and so can a dog! It will take time for him to adapt, but it will happen.

Whatever you decide just make sure its in the best interests of the dog! Not your emotions!

Thanks
    Karma Level

We had to have our cat put down the other week and it really is heartbreaking. The one thing we were relieved about is not having to make the decision. The vet told us he was either going to be put down and die painlessly and immediately, or die slowly over the next few hours so it was a complete no brainer.

If the dog is going to be healthy then I actually think it would be cruel putting it down. You wouldnt put down a blind human. The purpose of putting down animals is to put them out of pain when they can't be fixed, not to stop them from walking into things.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs View Post
    We had to have our cat put down the other week and it really is heartbreaking. The one thing we were relieved about is not having to make the decision. The vet told us he was either going to be put down and die painlessly and immediately, or die slowly over the next few hours so it was a complete no brainer.

If the dog is going to be healthy then I actually think it would be cruel putting it down. You wouldnt put down a blind human. The purpose of putting down animals is to put them out of pain when they can't be fixed, not to stop them from walking into things.
    There is no way we will be having him put down unless it is absolutely neccessary. And even then someone is gonna have to stop me running out the vet with him.

God I love that dog.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A friend of mine ran a pub and they had two dogs, cant remember the breed names but the small one was blind. It had become blind over the years and he was amazing to watch. The owner used to let him walk around the pub and he was really good, he learnt where everyting was in the pub and the dog had a very good life. If your dog has other problems then you should do the right thing by him but being blind is not a big problem.

He will bump into stuff but just like humans they get used to ther enviroment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast