Close

Thread: winlogin.exe

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default winlogin.exe

hi peeps am running vista am keep getiing checking for solution for this winlogin.exe i know that its todo wif msn messenger but ive got some adware that i think has removed from pc but it must be linking still to msn somehow...any1 know how to fix this... ie when i open firefox and try to search goole it just sits there also same on ie also cleared or cookies etc ...but no avail cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: winlogin.exe

ive had similar recently by the symptoms - i had trojan Vundoo which Norton 2008 removed for me eventually after about 6 reboots.
    Searches didnt work on websites, let alone IE, google and Opera.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic18610.html

The process "winlogon.exe" runs in the background. It's a part of the Windows Login subsystem. Winlogon is necessary for user authorization and checks the Windows XP activation code.

Note: The winlogon.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, winlogon.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm! Check this with Security Task Manager.

Virus with same name:
    W32.Netsky.D - see McAfee Symantec Corporation Trend Micro
    Last edited by BFG; 29th April 2008 at 06:45 PM.

Time Flies when you're having fun! A decade of DF - April 2002-2012.

Thanks
    Karma Level

tried scanning wif wats above didnt find anything but in saying that i dl trogan remover and it changed some lines in some files cant rem wat they r..wil check but noticed if i use ie and sometimes it works but have to take the protection mode off then switch on it works sometimes wil try more solutions and report back,seen alot of others starting to get this ..cheers on reply

Thanks
    Karma Level

First - scan using this: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Spybot search and destroy... then give it a once over with: http://lavasoft.com/

then run a scan with http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

The online kaspersky scanner wont remove it but it'll let you know if there is anything on there and Kaspersky has one of the highest detection rates year after year...

If you've got anything, that combo should find it

BTW What OS are you on? XP SP2/SP3 or Vista?

Failing all else, I can send you a copy of winlogin.exe from a XP SP3 system or Vista SP1 system if you need it, that would hopefully stop it being a twat.

Thanks
    Karma Level

said at the top of my post am on vista its the ultimate edition that 1st came out ,i dont need to acivate it or anything just install it was the 1st 1 that came out but wil try wat uve posted above n get back cheers on info

Thanks
    Karma Level

No problem, Like I said if a Virus has damaged your winlogin.exe I can send you a copy from my Vista system since its clean.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hjf288 View Post
    No problem, Like I said if a Virus has damaged your winlogin.exe I can send you a copy from my Vista system since its clean.
    i found wat u said in ur other post using spybot it found it but still hasnt sorted problem lavasoft i couldnt c wat results was on screen,stil if i mess wif ie i can search google at times ..but do u wanna send me that file go ahead u should find my email from clicking me name cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

AVG from http://free.grisoft.com and free superantispyware from www.superantispyware.com should clean your system up.
    "Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."

Albert Einstein

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

All solutions are a waste of time. Format and reinstall.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    All solutions are a waste of time. Format and reinstall.
    At last someone talking sense. Never trust an anti virus program to remove a trojan, they may get the main virus but viruses usually download and run other malicious code that may not be known to the virus companies and therefore will not be searched for by their software.

Always format and reinstall. Easy way to do it is set your PC up with all your apps then take an image of it with something like acronis and keep the image on a either a different partition or a different disk all together.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    At last someone talking sense. Never trust an anti virus program to remove a trojan, they may get the main virus but viruses usually download and run other malicious code that may not be known to the virus companies and therefore will not be searched for by their software.

Always format and reinstall. Easy way to do it is set your PC up with all your apps then take an image of it with something like acronis and keep the image on a either a different partition or a different disk all together.
    lol i was just about to do all that wif acronis then this crap but this is the 2nd time in like 2 weeks its doneit ...and just got pc back 2 way i want it ...wil try some more things n c wat happens ...thanks peeps on the info but if it needs b ill doit wif low level format and try few things wif hirens c wat happens cheers

Social Networking Bookmarks