Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default what could I have done....

Last thursday I resigned from my position after nearly a year with the company..

Trouble was I worked for a small company which had 5-6 office staff and 10 packers all of the employees were female apart from me, I was an office worker i.e. assistant buyer and did everything from ordering, creating order tracking systems, consoldiating far east shipments to photographying samples upon arrival and fixing the server when it broke i.e. replacing network switch and router and basic active directory functions...So the photography and I.T. were not agreed when I got the job its just something I did because I like to help out if I can but then lately it started to affect my daily workload not quality wise but I found myself for the last 2 months literally doing 3 people's jobs and running around like a headless chicken without ever getting a thank you for it or even 1 bit of appreciation - which hurt

The women upstairs in the office were all similar ages to myself, from the beginning really I never felt apart of the team and a month into the job could see the sales lady withholding information that I needed when I asked for it id always get a "tut" or "ugh" comment when it was vital to the work i was doing..similarly I helped the other purchasers as much as possible because our work crossed i..e if they placed an order and it was ready I would decide shipping mode, when quite frankily they should have done so, even when I questioned it I was told it was my job to do it, really abruptly and rudely when logically it never made sense to me...

So over a period of time the girls started to talk in their own groups, did not like the fact I had more to offer the company then the company had to offer me i.e. they never trained me 1 bit I taught them more and showed them more, so over a period of time the girls became insecure, jealous, rude, bitchy and sacastic which they couldnt really do properly as it always came out more rude...

So last thursday I just resigned I had enough, reached the end of my tether etc...

Trouble is now I have to look for work and am saying to agencies I resigned to give me more time to look for a job which offers a great package and I couldnt do that whilst in employment as I never had time to look during working hours and when I got home I was truely knackered...

The previous job to this was also for a small company, my manager was pulling rank of me when all I was doing was discussing the possibilty of introducing new processes that would make us more efficient and allow the team to work more throughly on other matters, sure it wasnt bad as the last job I left but I knew I had to move on...

I do have a versatile skill set and am eager to progress , im 27 years old but I just dont understand what I have to do to find a half decent company where I can be a buyer / assistant buyer....so I signed up to a few agencies and have had positive feedback just waiting for an interview now...

all comments would be appreciated

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: what could I have done....

we all do jobs we dont like (personal i love my job!) some ppl take advantage but u have to draw the line some where... the on thing u said which i dont agree with is not getting a thanks (thats what ur pay packet it for )
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for your reply..

doing other jobs that are not apart of your job desc when you have a good atmosphere / relationship with your colleagues is fine even when no body thanks you but personally in this situation whereby my colleagues did not want to acknowledge my existence despite me trying in so many ways quite frankly hurt...especially when all I have ever done in that position was to do my best for the company..

there are people and with regards to my point where people in my company who wouldnt do 1% more then what they had too, they always got out of it...To me this was new, these are the only two jobs I have experienced such a backward, lazy, rude and power freak attitude...Despite doing jobs I was not supposed to for nearly a year I had to draw the line after fixing the server for 5hrs whilst the rest of the team sat around speaking about their weekend and not getting a thanks was the end of the line...

Without dwelling on not being appreciated, I just hope my next job is in "normal" surroundings where you can progress, occassionaly get appreciated and do not have to be surrounded by insecure, jealous and horrid people...

I really felt as if I had no other choice but to resign...

Can anyone recommend any good agencies in north london / central london they have dealt with either as a recruiter or job seeker? I have found several but you know how it is the more jobs you apply the more chance you have off getting one

just hope things are different this time..

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would say that you did the right thing by leaving mate. If you encounter a female clique in the workplace, then you're pretty stuffed in my experience.

As annoying as it is, they have you beat purely due to their numbers. The 'pack' will then be bitching, snide, lots of whispers, making shit up about you etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, I work with loads of great women - but when you do come accross one of these groups, they can be fookin nasty.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the nastier the better as far as im concerned
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would say that you did the right thing by leaving mate. If you encounter a female clique in the workplace, then you're pretty stuffed in my experience.

As annoying as it is, they have you beat purely due to their numbers. The 'pack' will then be bitching, snide, lots of whispers, making shit up about you etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, I work with loads of great women - but when you do come accross one of these groups, they can be fookin nasty.
    thank you , thank you so much...

Previously when I worked with large numbers of women it was great total opposite, I don't see myself to be a lazy, non responsive or weak part of any team - this however was something else...

The only thing that really cheeses me off is that last year as mentioned I have had 2 terrible experiences and yes I can shake them off but they do leave a little mark, so much so that I am actually contemplating how it will be during my first week of a new job wherever that is when it comes along..Just like normal folk I have bills to pay and things I was saving for I am concerned and sincerely hope this does not hit me financially because I don't want to run into the next available job but cautiously see what is out there for me...I know "resigning" looks bad and I would never dream of telling my future employer about what happened because I realise you never speak badly about your previous employer no matter how bad it really was...

Just upsets me to think I have to move on and take the hit financially and have a short employment gap of a year on my C.V. but deep down I know I really had no choice..

Thanks for your support..

A few agencies have promised me interviews next week and the following week I hope something comes off them...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Without going into all the kak that was wrong with the way things were with your company from what you have said I reckon it would be best to let your perspective employers know from the off that you were not being given the opportunity to spread your wings as it were. My experience with job interviews has been pretty much a sales exercise, and if you have your weak areas covered well you will be fine, I mean getting through the paper sift is half the battle. Another point is the fact that you were working for a small company and showed initiative which unfortunately backfired on account of the management being a bunch of tossers who couldnt see potiential.
    Try to keep your head up and take the posotives from the experience, they are more than likely stuffed and will be out of pocket on account of not giving you credit for what you did for them and you can take that knowledge into a more rewarding workplace.
    Good luck to ya.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My missus was unhappy in her last job for over a year mate she quit two months ago now and signed up for a few agencies, she had interviews offered within two days and landed herself a new job which pays £5g more a year with less hours within two weeks of quiting her last job. She's now happy at work and at home. Just shows mate there's plenty of work out there

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers guys...

I have contacted several agencies since last thursday, a few are waiting for their contacts to confirm interview dates, hopefully they turn out to be good...

I can say every agency I have contacted has been interested in me and have said they have a few things they will put me forward for..

Fingers crossed they recover from bank holiday weekend quickly and contact me with confirmed interview dates..

really appreciate your comments guys...

thank you very much it really helps

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hows the job search going m8 ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I wish I worked with all girls

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

xirokx, best of luck mate. However I do think it would have been better to have stayed put until you found something else. Its not just about the gap on your CV or blip in cashflow, its just so much easier to find work when you're in work. I've experienced it from both ends. When I was unemployed (2003) it took me more than 4 months to find something, principally because the companies knew there was no real urgency and they could keep me on ice.

You are however right to keep your thoughts on your prev company to yourself. I would actually go a step further and praise them at the interview, and then go on to say how coming to work for "x" would be an even better opportunity.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tried the applying for work whilst in my position but it was so difficult because I could never speak to agencies properly and also found I didnt have the brain power at the end of each day to source positions out there..On top of which I was running around like a lunatic at work doing anything and everything so when it came to lunch I was happy not to speak to anyone on a professional level...

Well since spending a week at home I have 7 possible interviews lined up half in the public sector and the other in private sectors..

I have registered with many agencies and feel confident and positive that this time I will find a career...

I found Hays to be really helpful as well as cvlibrary and a company called purchasing futures..

I do appreciate I should have stayed put but can only say that now as I have been a week at home and have not had to be around the freakshow at my previous company..I too would always recommend one stays put but there comes a time when enough is enough and you have to make that decision..

thanks for your continued support...

Social Networking Bookmarks