Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Zibri says 3G iPhone has no copy/paste and no MMS

Zibri, the Italian programmer of the now famous ZiPhone unlocking tool for the existing 2G iPhone, has promised an unlock for the iPhone 2.0 firmware while explaining that the new firmware leaves out some much requested features.

ZiPhone, the iPhone unlocking tool by Zibri, is well known – or should be – by anyone with an iPhone they’ve already unlocked, or would like to.

Zibri wasn’t the first to unlock the iPhone, nor was he the first to release an easy unlock method. But his ZiPhone software made it incredibly simple for iPhone owners to update to 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 firmware and unlock their iPhones in around four minutes on the PC or Mac

As the countdown continues to the launch of the iPhone 2.0 firmware/software, as well as the oft-predicted and much expected 3G iPhone, Zibri has admitted to being a bit bored after hacking the pre-release iPhone 2.0 firmware.

He has shared the news that Apple will likely release a new version of iTunes to coincide with the iPhone 2.0 firmware release, which will also mean a new version of ZiPhone will emerge.

However Zibri says he “will have to rewrite ZiPhone to support the new “mobiledevice” framework.”, which means we should not, repeat not, “expect a new ZiPhone version shortly after the official 2.0 release” because “it will take some time to rewrite and to fully test it.”

Of course, that’s usually the case when Apple launches new firmware versions, as the hackers figure out what new protections Apple has put in place and work hard to open it up to anyone that wants to unlock their iPhone.

In screenshots at Zibri’s site, we can see that his iPhone has the pre-2.0 firmware loaded, and he shows a contact search feature, something that has been known for a while now would appear in iPhone 2.0 firmware.

Zibri also says that hacking the iPhone pre-2.0 firmware has already been done, but the making it ‘easy to use’ for the rest of us part of the software “will need some time”.

So, what has Zibri shared about the “gold” pre-2.0 firmware, which Zibri believes is feature complete?
    Zibri says that, over the past few days, he has been “busy disassembling and analyzing what we could call a "gold" 2.0 firmware”.
    Zibri says it’s “gold because it's expiration date is the 4th of June so all features are there already.”

Naturally, Apple could be leaving certain features out of the pre-2.0 firmware versions it has released to surprise us all, but if Zibri is right, pre-2.0 firmware is a solid indication of what we’ll expect in the real 2.0 firmware.

Zibri says that the full 2.0 firmware won’t have MMS, won’t have cut and paste, won’t have any new applications (because of the iPhone App Store for authorised third party applications), and really only seems to include Exchange email synchronisation with Microsoft Exchange and the App Store itself.

However there is one other thing Apple did change: security.

Zibri says: “Yes, Apple tightened iPhone security (their security not yours) a new crypto algo has been introduced (and promptly defeated as expected).”

Zibri believes the 3G iPhone “will share almost the same firmware of the actual iPhone, so, again, no big news. I wish the community could react to all this and start developing on the actual firmware version but I know that will not happen.”

Is Zibri about to sell the ZiPhone project?

Zibri also says he’s had a “big proposal to acquire ziphone [but] I will not let you down”, which doesn’t tell us whether he will “sell” ZiPhone or not, but does suggest that whatever happens, ZiPhone will still be available.

Zibri also asks people commenting on his blog to “Please stop complaining about your bricked phone if you used other methods [than Zibri’s own free ZiPhone software]”, and urges ZiPhone users to “keep donating if you want this project to live.”

So... the big surprises for the iPhone 2.0 firmware seem already well known, with the true surprises set to be with the 3G iPhone itself, and the rumoured inbuilt GPS, HSDPA 3G speeds, a 5 megapixel camera and a potential FM radio.

Other rumours have suggested different form factors for the iPhone, while we’re still waiting to hear about better Bluetooth support so A2DP headphones are supported, Bluetooth keyboards are supported, and whether or not iTunes will finally allow notes to be synchronised... or not.

5 weeks to go until June 9. Five weeks until we learn of the 3G iPhone’s fate. 5 weeks until our questions are answered.

Just like the Cylons, Steve Jobs has a plan. The search for the fabled 3G iPhone goes on, set to unite humanity as never before, while the forces of Apple seek to destroy market demand for all other mobile phones.

Will the 3G iPhone be revealed? The 2G iPhone is known... but it seems the 3G iPhone still lives in secret...

To be continued..

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18040/1103/
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Zibri says 3G iPhone has no copy/paste and no MMS

I've gotta say v2.0 of the iPhone sounds a little dissapointing in comparison with what the v1 brought to the table but I can't see apple adding a 5mp camera and 3g what will they have in iPhone v3 LOL seriously though am I the only one who doesn't use the camera? and isn't bothered about 3g. Better Bluetooth support would be nice though and I'd LOVE to be able to copy and paste like I could with my n95,e61,n70 etc I'm suprised that noones wrote an app to give copy and paste

Cheers for the read though fella I've not read the ziphone blog since I deleted the ok k on me iPhone

Thanks
    Karma Level

the iphone 2 MUST has mms and at least a 3.2mp cam and 3g for me to buy had a play with the first one and loved it but because of missing them things i could not keep it

fingers crossed that it does

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Agreed, it MUST have MMS, its crazy that it doesn't already. Why would they not include it?

Thanks
    Karma Level

i really dont think that apple would include the new features of the iphone/iphone2 in a firmware release that is widely available by signing up to the developer program.

They'll more than likely wanna be keeping it all under wraps until the conference in june.

Scottio

http://scottio-productions.co.uk/
    XBL : Scottio200 :: PS3 PSN-ID : Scottio200 :: Twitter ID : Scottio200

Thanks
    Karma Level

3G iPhone itself, and the rumoured inbuilt GPS, HSDPA 3G speeds, a 5 megapixel camera and a potential FM radio.
    Ohhhh!

Thanks
    Karma Level

going by past with apple v2 will have what you want and be the same price as the out going version but the out going version will be dead to them...dead lol

just look at the ipod line, theres no reason the ipod video (5 and 5.5) couldnt have the same fw as the classic and have the fancy interface but no its gone

on the upside maybe cos of the people being under contract they may update the v1 but i m not holding out much hope

Thanks
    Karma Level

just incase some of you don't use this, but MMS is very possible on a jailbroken iphone, just add swirlymms and enter your providers mms settings.

admitted, its not for noobs, but it works for me.

you also need to install mobile finder, but its all on their website at
    http://www.swirlyspace.com/iphone/apps/mms/

Bug

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bugnote View Post
    just incase some of you don't use this, but MMS is very possible on a jailbroken iphone, just add swirlymms and enter your providers mms settings.

admitted, its not for noobs, but it works for me.

you also need to install mobile finder, but its all on their website at
    http://www.swirlyspace.com/iphone/apps/mms/

Bug
    ya thats ok try viewing the pics thou after its a nightmare!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

no its not install preview and your done its simple really

if you need to know where in the iphone the piccys are go to
    private/var/mobile/media/mmsfiles

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmm I'm baffled. I thought the whole point in the iphone was how easy it was to use. From what I'm reading above, it sounds harder than sending an mms on any other handset. I wonder what other basic essentials will be missing on the next iphone as I wouldn't mind one if it actually was technically superior to it's rivals.

Thanks
    Karma Level

its harder to set up than an n95 (t-mobile send you the settings by txt and it updates its settings its self) but worth it, i can honestly say its worth all the messing around in the setup process, cos once thats done its as easy as any other phone (it does have 1 more step that a lesser phone doesnt have but once swirlymms is updated that wont be an issue) i cant believe i waited as long as i did to get one

Thanks
    Karma Level

i got the viewty while i wait for a proper "iphone" its every thing the iphone (mark 1) should have been apart from the screen and the inbuilt memory

Thanks
    Karma Level

trust me m8 ive used a viewty and its not a bad phone by any means but its no iphone

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    trust me m8 ive used a viewty and its not a bad phone by any means but its no iphone
    Agreed, I tried one also, not even close. I have a Samsung Soul as my business phone it's great, not an iPhone though
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have used both and what the iphone is missing the viewty has and so far not missing much of the iphone like i said apart from the memory and the better screen

so soon as there is a iphone the way it should have been (3g,mms,ect) i will def pick one up dont get me wrong i did really like it just missing to many things in the mark 1