Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech [iphone] wifi problem, im not the only one but anyone know a fix ?

Hi all,

Used iphone with my laptops adhoc wifi yesterday, no problem,

used my iphone with my n95's adhoc wifi yesterday, no problem,

woke up this morning, neither would work.

After several hours googling and trying different things the only thing that has helped is connecting to an infrastructure lan and then going back to the adhoc.

What happens is this, you look in the wifi settings to connect a new access point and for the adhocs, you get a message 'cannot connect to network xxxxxx'. Press ok again and it then looks like its connected and you get the wifi signal strength meter all ok.

Go into safari or whatever else you want to use and it reverts back to edge connection. No matter what you do.

If you google a bit you will see that lots have had this problem and there are several different fixes about for it. None of which worked for me.

i have tried the following

resetting network settings - so starting from scratch
    'forget'ting the networks in question
    forcing dns and ip where possible
    removing apps which may be causing a clash
    entering the apn's manually
    trying with and without wep key
    going into and out of airplane mode
    turning wifi on and off (with different programs also)

Only thing i havent tried is a full restore but from postings i've read that doesnt always work so it really was my last resort.

any other pointers or things to try much appreciated. I was just starting to think the whole setup (n95 wifi + iphone) was working perfectly for me, and then this happens

Cheers,

malty

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: [iphone] wifi problem, im not the only one but anyone know a fix ?

other than what youve said have you (i cant believe im going to say this lol) but tried turning the iphone off and back on again and does it connect to anyother wifi ap's or does it fail to connect to them also?

i had a few issues to begin with but that was down to me and my innability to enter a massive wpa key correctly (the iphone kept trying to correct me and i forgot i had to capitalise every letter lol)

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes done soft resets (home + power button held) and also power off/reboot

It connects to infrastructure ap's fine, just not adhoc

Thanks
    Karma Level

maybe its an apple thing like the bluetooth being locked to buggery? personally i didnt know for a soft reset you had to hold the home button i thought that put it in to dfu mode and needed fixing in itunes, i just hold the power button for a few secs then swipe to turn it off,

the only other thing i can think is that the n95 isnt letting it connect for some reason and ive not got one anymore (gave it to me mam) or id have checked out what mine did, but id try and see if anything else (laptop ds etc) can connect in adhoc and then reconnect again without problems after a reboot of the n95

edit - ok i know this is a daft question but have you got the n95 set to save the battery and turn the wifi off and could that be causeing the bother
    Last edited by casio; 10th May 2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: edit - just thought of a deft question

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have to admit I've never tried an adhoc connection, it's always been sweet finding my router.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

same always finds my router as well

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

nothings changed other than it worked and now it doesnt. I've got some experience of osx, i'll have a dig around.

It connects fine to one of my adhocs now, but not the other, everything else connects fine, and it only connects to the one right after being connected to an inrastructure lan.

As if something is not 'releasing'

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    personally i didnt know for a soft reset you had to hold the home button i thought that put it in to dfu mode and needed fixing in itunes, i just hold the power button for a few secs then swipe to turn it off,
    hold power plus home until white apple = soft reboot.

keep holding home after this = restore mode

Thanks
    Karma Level

thats it i knew it was something like that, from when i first updated it to 1.1.4

have you had a look through the installer to see if theres any fix (id have thought itd be in the tweaks section)

Thanks
    Karma Level

what about 'reset network settings'
    unrelated but ppl who lose wifi after pwnage need to do this to restore network connectivity

Thanks
    Karma Level

tried that, i said so in the original post, for those that dont know its in settings > general > reset > network (i think)

It deletes all your settings including EDGE so make sure you know them before you do it