Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Can't close Outlook PST files

As part of a task at work, I've been archiving a shed load of emails from the exchange server into pst files. A massive amount of data has been exported successfully but for some reason a few pst files won't close down, so can't be opened by any other users.

If I try to close down the afflicted pst files I get the message "The operation failed. An object could not be found".

Reading up on the net I found this could be due to crap in temporary internet files, or registry problems. I've investigated both which seem to be fine.

The strange thing is the files seem ok - if I go to a computer which has a pst stuck open, on that computer only, I can view the contents perfectly, but if I try to close or go to properties or anything I get the same message. I'm also not convinced it's registry problems as even if I close my computer down and try to copy/move an affected pst I cant.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Can't close Outlook PST files

How much data is in the PST file? If its anywhere near 2gig then you'll have issues like this and you could try to move some stuff out them first? The size limit for a PST file is something like 2gig and they start to do weird things above 1.5gig

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think you can now go up to 20GB on a PST file.

How are you trying to close the PST, shutting down Outlook or 'Closing Personal Folder / Data File?'

I'd try running repairs on the effected PST's.

Some MS PST repair tools here
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post

How are you trying to close the PST, shutting down Outlook or 'Closing Personal Folder / Data File?'

20gig I'll not be telling our users that!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    How much data is in the PST file? If its anywhere near 2gig then you'll have issues like this and you could try to move some stuff out them first? The size limit for a PST file is something like 2gig and they start to do weird things above 1.5gig
    Oh yes, should've added that I had some great fun with large pst's, but realised the problem and have been keeping them under 2 gigs now. The affected pst's vary from 25Mb up to around 1.6Gb.

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post

Been trying to close by right clicking on the folder then clicking Close "Folder Name".

I will have a look at the tools linked, but I have a feeling they won't work as the affected files also appear to be locked somehow - can't copy/rename/delete the actual files.

k+ both for your time

Edit: The tool in the link is the one to fix pst's that have grown too large. Was handy with a problem I had a week or two ago, but sadly different problem now.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 19th May 2008 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

outlook locks pst files when it opens them. it only releases the lock when you close outlook. i've seen this many a time when i've tried migrate users to new machines while they're working. even if you close their archive psts outlook won't release them so i can't copy them to the new machine. reopening outlook lets the user access their online mailbox and lets me cut and paste their .psts

Thanks
    Karma Level

i've also found trying to access a pst over a network is a big no no. major slowdown and virtually brings the system to a halt. it might just be that the files are working but taking an age to complete the process...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    outlook locks pst files when it opens them. it only releases the lock when you close outlook. i've seen this many a time when i've tried migrate users to new machines while they're working. even if you close their archive psts outlook won't release them so i can't copy them to the new machine. reopening outlook lets the user access their online mailbox and lets me cut and paste their .psts

Cheers for the help. Only problem is that even when outlook is shut, files are still locked. Anyway I leave the company today so sod it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by carlover View Post
    Cheers for the help. Only problem is that even when outlook is shut, files are still locked. Anyway I leave the company today so sod it
    microsoft activesync prevents outlook from shutting properly if it syncs with email. the process has to be forcibly ended? suppose it don't matter now though... f**k 'em lol