Default Re: Losin the gut...

just cut the carbs out m8 hard i know but thats the bottom line
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Right an update:

Yesterday, I went for a 20 min run..not good but better than nothing I suppose, that was in the AM.

I also had the following to eat:

Tried porridge with a tad of salt, I'm not a big fan of it with salt so I am going to try it with say a little sugar and say honey.

for lunch I had a sandwich (with no butter but a little mayo) ham and iceberg lettuce.

For tea I had a baked potato with a bit of cheese.

Throughout the day I ate a variety of fruit including tangerines and grapes and a couplpe of banana's.

I drank only water yesterday, probably around 4/5 litres.

Today

I started a 12 hour shift at 7am, I had weetabix with semi-skimmed milk for brekkie.

For lunch I have a 2 ham sandwiches again with lettuce and no butter but a little mayo.

at 8AM I've had a tangerine but now am absoloutely starving and want to eat something.

Can anyone give me advice when this happens and whats best to combat it?

Thanks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You need to completely cut out the bread, the mayo, the cheese and potatoes after 6pm. It may sound harsh but you either commit to this totally or not. You may think "oh well I'll do some of the stuff and that should get me halfway to where I want to be" but that's all it will be, a half hearted attempt.

This fat burn "want a 6 pack" routine is tough, isn't fun, is boring and is very hard but it get the results in a comparitively short amount of time. It's not expensive and it's well within your grasp to do it but it requires 100% commitment. As you are not holding to much fat anywhere other than your gut you could probably do just 2 x 45mins cardio per day.

The gut/waistline is the hardest fat to shift becuase normally it has been there the longest. A strict diet, good cardio and plenty of abs exercises are the only way you will get rid of it.....apart from surgery and that's for lazy cunts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    You need to completely cut out the bread, the mayo, the cheese and potatoes after 6pm. It may sound harsh but you either commit to this totally or not. You may think "oh well I'll do some of the stuff and that should get me halfway to where I want to be" but that's all it will be, a half hearted attempt.

This fat burn "want a 6 pack" routine is tough, isn't fun, is boring and is very hard but it get the results in a comparitively short amount of time. It's not expensive and it's well within your grasp to do it but it requires 100% commitment. As you are not holding to much fat anywhere other than your gut you could probably do just 2 x 45mins cardio per day.

The gut/waistline is the hardest fat to shift becuase normally it has been there the longest. A strict diet, good cardio and plenty of abs exercises are the only way you will get rid of it.....apart from surgery and that's for lazy (unts.
    Right, after 6pm I can no probs cut out all the above, I only mainly eat this sort of stuff during the day anyway. I will start trying to substitute say grapes/oranges at night instead of food.

I am in work and am going to go for a run today at lunch and see what I can do from there. Thanks once again for your advice and about the half hearted attempt, it does kick you back into action!

Tam.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tam9 View Post
    Right, after 6pm I can no probs cut out all the above, I only mainly eat this sort of stuff during the day anyway. I will start trying to substitute say grapes/oranges at night instead of food.

I am in work and am going to go for a run today at lunch and see what I can do from there. Thanks once again for your advice and about the half hearted attempt, it does kick you back into action!

Tam.
    Thing is mate you are so close to doing this properly that it would be crazy not to just go for it..it's only 8 weeks, I am sure you will find it flies by.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the encouragement mate, it's really appreciated and hopefully I can do this. For dinner I'm going to have chicken. As I don't finish work until 6:50pm and home for 7pm. I'll have that first thing. But tomorrow I'll have food prepared to eat at around 530ish.

Again, thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tam9 wish you the best of luck

one piece of advice that really really helped me focus and get in shape
    get a decent pair of scales preferably ones with body fat monitor and metabolic rate mine where from a company called tanita about £80 quid
    keep a recod of how your doing it keeps you motivated and focused especially when it starts going in the right direction!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the advice mate, thing is am a skinny coont and can't really afford to lose weight from any part of my body apart from the gut. But I will check around the net, but 80 quid for scales, ouch, not sure if I could put out that sorta outlay. But am gonna get a set of digitals just to record my weight.

Thanks mate

Thanks
    Karma Level

80 quid is quite a bit i suppose but they are a cool little gadget aswell see

www.tanita.co.uk

mine give me:
    weight
    %bodyfat
    %body water mass
    bone density
    muscle mass and physique rating
    visceral body fat ( fat around reproductive organs )
    base meatbolic rate ( rate a which you burn calories when resting )
    metabolic age rating

got mine cheap through work

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Got an update for us Tam?

Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry to butt in here...

but when you say you do "cardo" what does that mean? and what does it involve?

I need to lose my gut before it gets out of control also...

I also need to build muscle but thats a totally diff story...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by xirokx View Post
    sorry to butt in here...

but when you say you do "cardo" what does that mean? and what does it involve?

I need to lose my gut before it gets out of control also...

I also need to build muscle but thats a totally diff story...

I'll tell you what's a different story is you wasting everyone's fucking valuable time posting in this section. You've had more than your fair share of advice and information upon which you obviously neither acted nor digested.

http://digital-forums.com/search.php?searchid=2180415

Have a 14 day ban for wasting staff time. I will also look to have your access to this section removed, you messer.
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 4th July 2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Ban increased, the more I think about it the more annoyed I get.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I soooo want to start the 6 pac challenge, I have an holiday in September and want to get a little toned for that. I'm 26, small, around 5'6"-5'7" and weigh 11 1/4 stone (checked yesterday, not super accurate scales though. I've started to get a small gut and sooo want to lose it. Throughout my teens I had a small 6 pac and hoping to get something like that again.

Trouble is, there's isn't much else I like food wise other than basically crap! Breakfast ususally consists of a subway, chicken and bacon. Pizza, chicken nuggets, burger etc for dinner and for tea chips with what could be anything, spag bol, chicken or prawn curry etc. And a tiny bit of salad.

I only seem to like hot foods, can't stand cold foods. I hardly eat any veg although I try to have a tub of mixed fruit a day. I think the reason I dont eat veg is because I never when I was younger, hated it and its just carried on since.

Is there anything you recommend at all to save me?? lol Im working in my shop most of the time, 6 days a week and all the crap foods I eat then are just within a minutes walk. There is a Somerfield just up the road though...

Most of my muscle is on my legs, I don't have much on my arms so need to start on weights I think. Do you recommend going to the gym? or buying my own?

Thanks alot roach, doing a great job with all this advice

Danny

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Your diet is atrocious mate, high in saturated fats, salt, sugar and bad cholesterol too. You really need to give your diet a massive shake up before that "small gut" will get much much bigger and the battle to lose it will be immense.

You need to substitute chips with rice, potatoes (boiled/new/jacket/mashed) and start eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg. Cut back on fatty items like cheese (on your pizzas), creamy sauces and any other junk foods which contain refined sugars and are high in salt content (bad for your heart).

Try buying some little jars of spices e.g. cumin powder, chilli powder, paprika, nutmeg...and using these in different combinations (you will have to experiment a bit) with some diced chicken or turkey breast to make a light stir fry. Use just a little olive oil and some black pepper to fry the chicken and then add some pre-packed stir fry veg. As you hate veg just add a little the first time and try to build up from there. You really need to find some veg that you like eating.

Think of your body as an engine if you put shitty cheap fuel in it won't run as well as if you put in good quality fuel. On the same note you mustn't let it run low and regular fill ups (meals) will help to keep your metabolism burning off calories efficiently.

It's so easy to buy junk food because it is convienient but if you plan ahead and buy the right ingredients for your meals, you won't need to eat crap, it will cost you less money and trust me you will feel a whole lot better after meals. It's a win win situation.

I am not a big fan of munching down loads of fruit so make sure I blend in my morning smoothie amongst other ingredients any combo of the following; berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries), bananas, apples, kiwi fruit, plums with fruit juice (any but a good one for lowering bad cholesterol is pomegranate ), porridge and soya milk. This way I am getting a good combination of quick and slow burn carbs into my system to set me up for the start of my day.

With regards your training I often advise in Guns Gym to just start off some training with a home routine e.g. sit-ups, press-ups, reverse dips etc all of which will start to condition your upper body and test how commited you really are without spunking money on weights and gym memberships.

Have a look here: http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=289879 try it for 4 weeks and report back with the results.
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 5th July 2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typos galore

Thanks
    Karma Level

fuck it i'll keep the gut that seems like a lot of work

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    I soooo want to start the 6 pac challenge, I have an holiday in September and want to get a little toned for that. I'm 26, small, around 5'6"-5'7" and weigh 11 1/4 stone (checked yesterday, not super accurate scales though. I've started to get a small gut and sooo want to lose it. Throughout my teens I had a small 6 pac and hoping to get something like that again.

Trouble is, there's isn't much else I like food wise other than basically crap! Breakfast ususally consists of a subway, chicken and bacon. Pizza, chicken nuggets, burger etc for dinner and for tea chips with what could be anything, spag bol, chicken or prawn curry etc. And a tiny bit of salad.

I only seem to like hot foods, can't stand cold foods. I hardly eat any veg although I try to have a tub of mixed fruit a day. I think the reason I dont eat veg is because I never when I was younger, hated it and its just carried on since.

Is there anything you recommend at all to save me?? lol Im working in my shop most of the time, 6 days a week and all the crap foods I eat then are just within a minutes walk. There is a Somerfield just up the road though...

Most of my muscle is on my legs, I don't have much on my arms so need to start on weights I think. Do you recommend going to the gym? or buying my own?

Thanks alot roach, doing a great job with all this advice

Danny
    You obviously know that your diet is terrible

If there's a supermarket near you you can easily pop in and get fresh foods etc...

As for the last bit, I found signing up to the gym was the best thing I could of done - I just wasn't motivated at home, too many distractions etc...

At the gym, however, there's nothing else to do, so all that's left is to get a sweat on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    It's so easy to buy junk food because it is convienient
    you forget the part where it taste yummy . Is there a diet where i can eat Pies?.......a lot of pies

Thanks
    Karma Level

For my two penneth.

I wouldn't do any cardio stuff at all as imho it will lead to you eventually putting on more weight(fat).

I'll try to explain:

Say your maintenance calorie level is 3000 cals per day, and at that level you neither put on or lose weight.

You have a certain amount of muscle which more or less governs your metabolism and this is what creates your maintenance level as above.

So, you decide to do some for of "diet", usually a crash diet where you eat nothing thinking it's doing you good and then binge out every third day. And you go running for 45 minutes a day (or similar cardio activity).

OK, so for a while you lose weight, the scales say so and you're happy.

But what is happening is that your body is having to get energy from somewhere, and for your 45 minute run scenario it's getting the majority of it from your muscles (your expending your muscles).

So after 4 weeks or whatever you pack in the running for one reason or another.

So what happens next. Well, you've expended (lost) quite a bit of muscle from your running and so have less muscle than when you started. And you also drift away from the diet back into your old way of eating.

So you're back eating 3000 calories a day but now because you have less muscle, your metabolism is less and hence you've affected your maintenance level. It is now actually 2800 calories per day.

This now means in a week you are getting 1,400 calories more than you need, and these calories have to go somewhere and with a bloke it's gut and lower back and for a bird it's usually arse and gut.

Don't want to bore you any longer but it would appear the obvious solution is to do the opposite and get a bit (A lot) moe muscle.

Hope this helps.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    So, you decide to do some for of "diet", usually a crash diet where you eat nothing thinking it's doing you good and then binge out every third day.
    A bit of a presumption on your behalf mate. "Crash" diets are for lazy, obese folk who like the idea of fast & easy weight loss, which we both know is a complete myth. These are the sort of people who fall for exercise equipment on QVC that will get them in shape within weeks. These people are a mutli-billion pound worldwide industry but that doesn't mean it's right. I can empathise that vast weight loss is a very daunting and demotivating prospect but there is no easy way to do it other than hard work and serious commitment.

If a serious would-be dieter seeks out the right advice they will learn that regular meals (controlled calorie intake while still getting all your necessary food groups to give you the correct levels of vitamins, proteins etc) will help keep a steady metabolism which will help to burn the fat off. Maintaining 100% muscle mass during a diet just isn't possible but can be kept to a minimum by good weight training and maintaining good protein levels. Cardio will accelerate the fat burn and also improve your heart and fitness levels. Less fat, salt and sugar will reduce bad cholesterol levels and so the diet and training combination is a winner from all sides.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I guess most people are the "crash" and QVC type, which is why we have the morbidly obese problem in this country (global even).

I guess it depends what type of cardio you mean, it's a bit of a broad term. I'd say that steady state cardio will push you into catabolism and you'll be more likely to be burning off the muscle - wouldnt you agree?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast