Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Losin the gut...

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    Maintaining 100% muscle mass during a diet just isn't possible but can be kept to a minimum by good weight training and maintaining good protein levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    I'd say that steady state cardio will push you into catabolism and you'll be more likely to be burning off the muscle - wouldnt you agree?
    Mate I really think you aren't bothering to read what I post?

The reason I referred to your posts as disruptive rather than discussive is because you are missing so much information that I have already taken the time to post and therefore making me repeat what I have said many times before.

Coming back to your catabolic question; there is schools of thought for why both moderate or high intensity are both good for burning fat but often the results are determined by an individuals body type or their personal RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate). Different rates of fat oxidation and fat storage also have a bearing on the results yielded by different types of exercise.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I guess most people are the "crash" and QVC type, which is why we have the morbidly obese problem in this country (global even).

I guess it depends what type of cardio you mean, it's a bit of a broad term. I'd say that steady state cardio will push you into catabolism and you'll be more likely to be burning off the muscle - wouldnt you agree?
    No, not with a well structured diet and training plan.

A very small amount of muscle will likely be burned off, but this is an insignificant amount if diet, rest and training is adhered to.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you do steady state cardio and say 70% of the energy you burn is from your muscles then regardless of your structured diet and plan, i'd say it's better not to do it!

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you do steady state cardio and say 70% of the energy you burn is from your muscles then regardless of your structured diet and plan, i'd say it's better not to do it!

Are you the Big Larry that I remember from the Sat scene a few years ago ?

If so I seem to remember you were morbidly obese?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yup, that's me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yup, that's me.
    I thought as much.

I see your windups still haven't let up then or have you lost a shed load of weight ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not winding anyone up m8, just pointing a few things out

I think i've proably put on weight since then too

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not winding anyone up m8, just pointing a few things out

I think i've proably put on weight since then too

I heard the last time you said the word Gym you got a blister on your tongue.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    I heard the last time you said the word Gym you got a blister on your tongue.
    lol...and I bet the last time he sat on a rowing machine the fooking thing sank!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Olympia View Post
    lol...and I bet the last time he sat on a rowing machine the fooking thing sank!
    classic.

I think it resembled the Mary Rose ie just a few wooden splinters.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ROFL, you guys crack me up!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ROFL, you guys crack me up!

So you're quite a big fella then..?

I had wondered if you were just reading and quoting loads without actually having done much...it's all makes sense now

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive heard tam9 been avoiding this thread

Thanks
    Karma Level

for the good of this thread... there is good news tho!!!

LilacHarryQuinn

I would think that making any assumptions about someone's size or appearance due to their forum nickname is going to have a pretty low hit-rate especially if that nickname has been used for a long time and through times where hiding your identity was very much the name of the game.

For example, I'm not a bicycle.

Pity that it's descended into this because at one stage it was nice to see Roach-Rampino, BigLarry and supermike actually having a bit of a debate about this.

I've read around the subject but would never set myself up as an expert, but the one thing I did realise is that there are that many conflicting opinions related to anything that has a weights-component to it that the only people that I would never take anyone's word as being gospel, and I would take things from all over the place and try and see how they work for me, and adapt them as necessary.

For example, I moved from doing a dual compound inverted pyramid 3-day split to now doing a 5x5 3-day split. Which is "right" ? Well they have both worked well for me whereas a routine that featured lots of indiviual exercises normal pyramid 3 day split really wasn't for me. I've read things where experienced people have said that there is no value in resistance bands/cable flies and others where they have been a recommended and integral part of a routine. And so on and on and on.

I know the way some of the replies had been worded that a bit of baiting is going on, but that aside I'd like to thank Roach, Larry and Mike for the posts where they put their opinions forward and kept it on the level that is interesting to read, the rest is better in the playground and not The Gym imho.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by LilacHarryQuinn View Post
    I would think that making any assumptions about someone's size or appearance due to their forum nickname is going to have a pretty low hit-rate especially if that nickname has been used for a long time and through times where hiding your identity was very much the name of the game.

For example, I'm not a bicycle.
    No assumptions are being made m8...Mr O and 4me2 know Larry from previous forums.

And of course debate is welcomed here!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think both 4me2 and Mr O. know Big Larry from previous days and are aware of his size, that's why they made those comments.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For example, I moved from doing a dual compound inverted pyramid 3-day split to now doing a 5x5 3-day split. Which is "right" ? Well they have both worked well for me whereas a routine that featured lots of indiviual exercises normal pyramid 3 day split really wasn't for me.
    There is no "right" way but you are right however to change your training routine once every say 12 weeks. What may seem hard at first will become easy and you will plateau and no longer make gains.

I too am up for debate and as I stated before glean as much knowledge and different opinions as I possibly can from qualified and professional sources.

Big Larry came across as lazy for picking apart my posts without taking the time to read pervious threads or even my first post in this thread, which if he did he would have saved both of us a lot of time! I started to suspect he was a wind-up merchant which I think myself and quite a few other members now realise.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    I think both 4me2 and Mr O. know Big Larry from previous days and are aware of his size, that's why they made those comments.

Reading between the lines Mr Olympia and 4me2 could have been spit roasting larry, i may be wrong here but they sound like jilted lovers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yea I'm starting to think he's a troll. And still no answer to why he's been a member for so long but only started posting recently, WTF!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast